Author Topic: Pic of starter magnets  (Read 1026 times)

wyner

• Road Star
  • Referrals: 0
Pic of starter magnets
« on: Jul 31, 2019, 09:56:34 pm »
I see a lot of threads talking of loose starter magnets but didn't see any pics in my search.
I took the front off to peak inside. Not positive what it should look like, but fairly certain my magnets are loose and out of place. Would think they should be evenly spaced - aye?
« Last Edit: Aug 22, 2019, 09:16:54 pm by wyner »

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

wyner

• Road Star
    Re: Pic of starter magnets
    « Reply #1 on: Aug 01, 2019, 11:57:40 am »
    I put an aftermarket starter on from ebay $143 from db electrical. It turns over and fires up like it never did before.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/362462966904

Dirtiegirtie

• Road Star
    « Reply #2 on: Aug 01, 2019, 12:23:40 pm »
    It turns over and fires up like it never did before.

Did your previous starter slowly give way or did you replace yours preemptively? I'm just wondering if this aftermarket one is stronger than a good running original or just better than a weak original.

• Advertisement

sundancer87

• Road Star
      « Reply #3 on: Aug 01, 2019, 12:34:31 pm »
      I see a lot of threads talking of loose starter magnets but didn't see any pics in my search.
      I took the front off to peak inside. Not positive what it should look like, but fairly certain my magnets are loose and out of place. Would think they should be evenly spaced - aye?

The magnets are essentially similar to wire wound poles found in lots of motors.  They want to be equally spaced in order to attract and repel the armature in a smooth fashion.  In your picture that starter motor would act like a gas engine trying to turn over with the spark advanced too far. 

wyner

• Road Star
      « Reply #4 on: Aug 01, 2019, 02:00:54 pm »
      It turns over and fires up like it never did before.

Did your previous starter slowly give way or did you replace yours preemptively? I'm just wondering if this aftermarket one is stronger than a good running original or just better than a weak original.

It turned over slow since I bought it a year ago - sometimes worse than others. Lately it would try - make bad sounds - and not turn over - then try again and maybe start or show code 12 and start later. I never knew what it should sound like - this is awesome!!

wyner

• Road Star
      « Reply #5 on: Aug 01, 2019, 02:03:58 pm »

The magnets are essentially similar to wire wound poles found in lots of motors.  They want to be equally spaced in order to attract and repel the armature in a smooth fashion.  In your picture that starter motor would act like a gas engine trying to turn over with the spark advanced too far.

Since I paid 143 for a new starter, I'm thinking it would cost that much to have my local motor shop fix this one. I may ask them.

I thought it didn't look right!