Author Topic: Need a Starter  (Read 4128 times)

TRaider_John

• Patriot Guard Rider
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 5
Re: Need a Starter
« Reply #15 on: Oct 21, 2019, 07:44:26 pm »
There is one in the whole world and they just send it back and forth between them. 

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

RuffRider

• Road Star
    • Referrals: 0
    « Reply #16 on: Oct 22, 2019, 06:48:37 pm »
      Just installed the new Starter that I ordered from Rick's Motorsport.
    That thing so far is "Right On".  M y bike has never started so easily!  It reacts like I put a powerful battery in instead of a starter.  I just press the starter button one time and the bike fires up right away without any excess cranking.  But I always thought that my original starter was defective.  I had taken the bike into the dealer but the starter was never replaced.  I even wrote a letter to Yamaha about my starter and talked to them on the phone about it but the dealer told Yamaha that they could not find anything wrong with my starter.

Anyway this replacement is great so far.
    « Last Edit: Oct 22, 2019, 09:35:45 pm by RuffRider »

TRaider_John

• Patriot Guard Rider
    • Raider
    « Reply #17 on: Oct 27, 2019, 12:50:46 am »
      Just installed the new Starter that I ordered from Rick's Motorsport.
    That thing so far is "Right On".  M y bike has never started so easily!  It reacts like I put a powerful battery in instead of a starter.  I just press the starter button one time and the bike fires up right away without any excess cranking.  But I always thought that my original starter was defective.  I had taken the bike into the dealer but the starter was never replaced.  I even wrote a letter to Yamaha about my starter and talked to them on the phone about it but the dealer told Yamaha that they could not find anything wrong with my starter.

Anyway this replacement is great so far.
    Good to know.  I think I need to see if my retired butt can find the money to get one from Rick's. 

• Advertisement

wyner

• Road Star
      « Reply #18 on: Oct 27, 2019, 11:34:51 am »
      I don't think Ricks makes starters - they're probably making over 150 bucks for being a middleman to send you a DB starter. ??

Coldfinger

• Roadliner
      « Reply #19 on: Oct 27, 2019, 01:59:52 pm »
      I just installed a new oem starter from partzilla and it is amazing how quick and easy it starts now.  $195.

In retrospect, I bet my original starter had a broken magnet for years because it always turned over slowly, like 5-8 engine revolutions when cold.   Today, after not being started for a week it started right up, like 2 cranks.   

The needle bearing in my original loomed fine. If I had been able to fix my old starter, I would have added a little grease to the needle bearing before assembly. 

The starter showed no signs of moisture intrusion. It is sealed to the engine with an o-ring.  There are two rubber gaskets between the body of the starter and end caps.  There is also an o-ring which goes on the terminal bolt to seal it and the housing. 

I would highly recommend not spraying the starter housing too aggressively with a pressure washer because I imagine water could be forced past those sealing points.  Having said that, I generally always wash my bike using standard garden hose sprayer.

2009 with approx 32,000 miles

Damnbiker

• V Star
      « Reply #20 on: Oct 27, 2019, 09:40:49 pm »
      Thanks to all who provided followup on this way too common issue. Nice to know what differences are noticed with the various starters. So many posts have great questions and replies from people in the know, but then hardly any have the conclusion to know what worked or didnít work. This post is a pleasant exception.

RuffRider

• Road Star
      « Reply #21 on: Oct 28, 2019, 12:10:52 pm »
      I don't think Ricks makes starters - they're probably making over 150 bucks for being a middleman to send you a DB starter. ??

I agree with you on Rick's probably not making the Starters.
      When you watch Rick's videos and read his adds it gives you the appearance that he makes them.  But when my Starter from Rick's arrived the receipt that came with it stated that the Starter is from Taiwan.

BuxStar

• SEA-ROAR
      • Road Star
      « Reply #22 on: Oct 28, 2019, 12:30:13 pm »
      I have not been on the forum for a while, and am having starting issues with my Raider - again. So thought I'd log on, and right away, another one with problems. The story you wrote RuffRider is almost identical to what I encountered. Start issues since new, dealer would not replace starter, told me it was the battery - which after 2 new batteries in 3 years, decided to get another opinion. The magnets in the starter were for the most part, touching each other on half of the starter, and 2 of the brushes were pretty much gone.
      Put a new starter in, and bammm, started like it never did before! 
      Now, about 1 1/2 years after the new starter install, here we go again. Weak starts, and after it has ran for a while, kinda have to cross my fingers when restarting.
      Any ideas why this is occurring again, or am I just unlucky with starters??

Tman

• V Star
      « Reply #23 on: Oct 28, 2019, 03:42:07 pm »
      @ Fasttimez.. Sent you a PM

RuffRider

• Road Star
      « Reply #24 on: Oct 28, 2019, 07:50:43 pm »
      It seems that Yamaha Starters just have problems.  I had a Yamaha 1100 Virago which had Starter problems.
      « Last Edit: Oct 28, 2019, 08:10:52 pm by RuffRider »

RangerRick

• Raider
      • Referrals: 1
      « Reply #25 on: Oct 28, 2019, 09:12:53 pm »
      It seems that Yamaha Starters just have problems.  I had a Yamaha 1100 Virago which had Starter problems.

you are spot on, with 92,000 on my 2009 Raider, I'm on starter no. 4  :rolleyes:
      2007 Honda VTX 1300R
      ANG Member 25 years
      Retired Aug. 1, 2010

Zekester

• Road Star
      « Reply #26 on: Oct 29, 2019, 05:23:57 am »

you are spot on, with 92,000 on my 2009 Raider, I'm on starter no. 4  :rolleyes:

Just curious...have the other starters been OEM or aftermarket?   Thanks
      Zeke
      USMC
      1971-1973
      2012 SCL #8

TRaider_John

• Patriot Guard Rider
      • Raider
      « Reply #27 on: Oct 29, 2019, 01:05:33 pm »

I just ordered one from DB Electrical but it used the same part number as if I purchased it through my dealer.  I'm not sure what that means.  They probably all come out of the same factory using Yamaha specs, but that just my speculation. 
      « Last Edit: Oct 30, 2019, 11:53:48 am by TRaider_John »

Coldfinger

• Roadliner
      « Reply #28 on: Oct 29, 2019, 08:40:18 pm »
      One of the five magnets failed on mine and it was the one closest to the front cylinder.   I assume my broken magnet was the cause of my poor stater performance but I didnt test anything else.

Curious how many failures were magnets and if it was the one closest to the front cylinder.   

RangerRick

• Raider
      • Referrals: 1
      « Reply #29 on: Oct 30, 2019, 03:53:10 pm »

OEM and 3 of the 4 the magnets let go. The 1 I could fix I think by replacing the brushes, just never got around to it. ;)
      2007 Honda VTX 1300R
      ANG Member 25 years
      Retired Aug. 1, 2010