Author Topic: Stator Issue  (Read 1363 times)

A.T.

• SEA-ROAR
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 0
Stator Issue
« on: Nov 01, 2019, 05:09:38 pm »
I thought I'd fixed my electrical issue when I replaced the Regulator/Rectifier earlier this year.  After about six weeks, I started having stator growl again, and then began having electrical issues - battery dying, code 46, LED flicker.  I again replaced the R/R but the issue recurred.  Checked the charging system and it was NOT pushing charge consistently.  Then OHMed out the stator - yeah it was bad.  Ordered a new stator.

Tore into her today - it's a real PITA of a job.  Pipes have to come off, oil has to be drained - time consuming task.  Finally got the stator cover off - holy shit - oil everywhere.  There's an oil passage through the cover, and where it mates to the crankcase cover, oil blew into the stator area.  There was supposed to be a gasket, but for whatever reason it wasn't there.  I have my suspicions as to why but machs nichte at this point. 

Got the stator coils out and the thing was oil covered with several burnt winding posts - thus the OHM fail.  I will say the way Yamaha routed the stator wiring is the most f***ed feat of engineering.  I had to pull the connector off to get the harness out.  I have no intention (or desire) to reroute the harness in the same manner - I'd have to tear out a lot of shit - nearly disassemble the swingarm.   

So posting up the info just in case someone else has a similar issue.

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

dukedomain

• SEA-ROAR
    • Raider
    Re: Stator Issue
    « Reply #1 on: Nov 01, 2019, 07:01:21 pm »
    Awesome post Billy.  If I have that problem Iíll just bring earthdawg to you!

A.T.

• SEA-ROAR
    • Raider
    « Reply #2 on: Nov 01, 2019, 07:30:49 pm »
    No sweat Ted - bring it on!

• Advertisement

sundancer87

• Road Star
      « Reply #3 on: Nov 01, 2019, 07:34:33 pm »
      Was the toasted coil on the bottom?  I wouldn't think oil would have an effect on it but who knows.

A.T.

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #4 on: Nov 01, 2019, 07:54:27 pm »
      Installed in the cover, facing the bike, it would be in the 9 o'clock position, pointing rearwards.  The back of the burnt coil is bulged and caked up.

sundancer87

• Road Star
      « Reply #5 on: Nov 01, 2019, 09:43:22 pm »
      Oil is typically a poor electrical conductor. For this reason it is used as a coolant and insulator in electrical transformers. As the oil gets loaded with particles from engine wear and combustion, the conductivity increases, but it is never a good conductor.

You probably just had a failed stator which isn't that uncommon.  That might set your mind at ease regarding the oil intrusion and/or the reason for the failure.

Raven

• Warrior
      « Reply #6 on: Dec 11, 2019, 07:36:55 am »
      Did you replace with new OEM stator or aftermarket? Im having charging issues as well and think my stator is on the way out. Going to tear into soon to investigate...

A.T.

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #7 on: Dec 11, 2019, 06:52:34 pm »
      I bought a used one off eBay for $35.  It was clean and I ohmed it out - tolerances were good - installed and so far no issues. 

My original stator was fouled with oil.  The one bolt by the stator cover oil line had broken and allowed oil to foul the stator.  I think this happened at the last SERR when I bottomed-out coming off a curb. 

Raven

• Warrior
      « Reply #8 on: Feb 22, 2020, 01:20:49 pm »
      I bought a used one off eBay for $35.  It was clean and I ohmed it out - tolerances were good - installed and so far no issues. 

My original stator was fouled with oil.  The one bolt by the stator cover oil line had broken and allowed oil to foul the stator.  I think this happened at the last SERR when I bottomed-out coming off a curb.

A.T. when you swapped out your stator besides a new gasket were any other parts required? Mine is toast and has to be replaced. Thanks for the info...

A.T.

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #9 on: Feb 22, 2020, 09:48:42 pm »

A.T. when you swapped out your stator besides a new gasket were any other parts required? Mine is toast and has to be replaced. Thanks for the info...

You will need some o-rings for the oil line.  You can get a multi-pack from Harbor Freight. 

As an FYI, I was not able to re-route the stator harness as it was originally routed - from my perspective, I just couldn't see how.   I wrapped it with flex-conduit for protection where it ended up.  If you crack this do post up.

Few other points
      - exhaust gaskets (why not?)
      - some silicone glue - the manual specifies Yamaha bond No.1215 (I used something else from Autozone - can't remember) 
      - blue Loctite
      - good strong star torque bits
      - order three (3) screws part # 90149-06122-00 and two (2) 90149-06068-00
        --  The screws are the internal star torque screws to the housing.  I thought it best to replace the high-torque hardware; bad location for failure.

Page 5-77 of the manual shows best pic of the assembly.  There is a roller bearing in the housing that mates with the torque limiter - it's not pressed in so it may dislodge.  Line up everything when mating the housing back onto the motor - the generator rotor is magnetic and will yank the housing into place.   

The bolt by the oil line has a crush washer.  This was the bolt that broke allowing oil into my housing.  I'd replace the bolt and crush washer.   
      (Item 42 https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/yam/5004646af8700209bc795ac3/crankcase-cover-1   part # 91314-06065-00)

Let us know how it goes and what lessons you pick up - all the best!
      « Last Edit: Feb 22, 2020, 10:00:33 pm by A.T. »

Raven

• Warrior
      « Reply #10 on: Feb 23, 2020, 03:28:57 am »
      Thanks for all the info A.T.
      My mechanic is doing all the work so I'll pass along everything to him. I ordered a new OEM stator and gasket yesterday and will pick up the other parts this week. He hasn't cracked into yet so not sure if I had the same problem as you or if it just wore out. My bike has 80KM on it and know this is a weak point for the Raider....

PaulyD

• Su Kai!
      • Road Star
      « Reply #11 on: May 12, 2020, 03:26:49 am »
      Hi,

Do you have the gasket and stator part numbers needed for this DIY?

Thanks

A.T.

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #12 on: May 12, 2020, 04:03:23 pm »
      Pauly - go to https://www.ronayers.com/ and scope out your year/model #.  On my bike it was

Gasket, Crankcase Cover 2      -  1D7-15461-00-00

Here's the link for the page for an '08:  https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/yam/5004646af8700209bc795ac3/crankcase-cover-1 

« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 04:07:07 pm by A.T. »

PaulyD

• Su Kai!
      • Road Star
      « Reply #13 on: Jul 13, 2020, 01:41:34 pm »
      Well, My stator just went the way of the bad.     
      While in there I want to replace the Torque limiter, though the manual seems to call it a
      Damper Assy
      1D7-15560-10-00

I see cheap Chinese Stators for $55
      The damper around $280   that's crazy

Anyone know of source for these things?

Thanks

A.T.

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #14 on: Jul 13, 2020, 06:11:35 pm »
      I purchased a used one on eBay.  Whatever stator you get, I'd OHM it out to make sure there's no issues (grounds between coil windings).  You'll need a no-shit OHM meter, so maybe take it to the dealership or someone who can measure the minute tolerances.  The $20 Harbor Freight tester ain't gonna cut it.

I wish there was a torque test for the torque limiter - what makes you think it's defective?
      « Last Edit: Jul 13, 2020, 06:14:17 pm by A.T. »