Author Topic: Lifter problems  (Read 495 times)

Konig_Gladiator

• V Star
  • Referrals: 0
Lifter problems
« on: Mar 07, 2020, 06:16:46 pm »
I know this has been covered many times. I've read a lot of posts. But I just bought this 09, unfortunately I never heard it on a cold start as the owner was on a military base and I always had to meet him at a location off base. Got it home last night and parked it. Pulled it out to wash it today and for about 6 seconds on cold start I heard a tapping sound......bike has 4300 miles. In anyone's experience will Yamaha still cover it after this many years?

« Last Edit: Mar 07, 2020, 08:54:42 pm by Konig_Gladiator »

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 19
    Re: Lifter problems
    « Reply #1 on: Mar 07, 2020, 08:35:25 pm »
    I know this has been covered many times. I've read a lot of posts. But I just bought this 09, unfortunately I never heard it on a cold start as the owner was on a military base and I always had to meet him at a location off base. Got it home last night and parked it. Pulled it out to wash it today and for about 6 seconds on cold start I heard a tapping sound......bike has 4300 miles. In anyone's experience will Yamaha still cover this?

You need to take it to a reputable Yamaha Dealership there should be something on their computers about it - the mileage on yours is the threshold number for the failure

CHROMINATOR

• MSgt USMC Retired - Patriot Guard Rider
    • SEA-ROAR
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 7
    « Reply #2 on: Mar 07, 2020, 10:28:18 pm »
    What Roadkill said, if it's the lifter issue you are covered.

• Advertisement

RangerRick

• Raider
      • Referrals: 1
      « Reply #3 on: Mar 07, 2020, 10:54:43 pm »
      My 2009 silver like yours did that at times but only briefly but then it quit after around 5,000 miles or so and never did again, 97,000 miles on it now. Somewhere I remember reading that back then unless it did it continuously it would go away after a few thousand miles. But then again who knows with your situation.  :-\  I think you might see if Yamaha will cover it. Can't hurt to try.
      « Last Edit: Mar 07, 2020, 10:59:38 pm by RangerRick »
      2009 Raider XV19CYS
      ANG Member 25 years
      Retired Aug. 1, 2010

Kevs UK Raider SCL

• UK Raider SCL #300
      • Roadliner
      • Referrals: 1
      « Reply #4 on: Mar 08, 2020, 05:25:26 am »
      It's about oil pressure against the lifter and the lifter sticks until enough pushes it up and stops the noise, which is the clearance at the valves known as tappet noise.

We had two of the four stick on our silver 09 and had them replaced on a road trip in Denver, CO, only for them to go bad again in California. I changed the bad ones again when home and all ok now.

Bike now done 53k miles.

There is a thought about using some lifters from a car which are the same size and better quality but someone will have to post on here what they are.

As for the dealership doing this under warranty, maybe, but maybe not as the bike is 11 years old, but fair play if you get this resolved for free! 
      « Last Edit: Mar 08, 2020, 05:27:56 am by Kevs UK Raider SCL »
      One of only around 65 or so Raider Owners in the UK

wfm113

• Road Star
      « Reply #5 on: Mar 08, 2020, 04:14:23 pm »
      Have about 19k on my 09 with no problems, knock on wood.

Lulu

• Road Star
      « Reply #6 on: Mar 08, 2020, 09:12:13 pm »
      I have a 2014 and had to replace the lifters at 26K last October. Yamaha was not really approachable. They declined because of the age and out of warranty.
      The lifters from Yamaha are around 45$ each, those from O'Reilly's are 11/each. The sealings and o-rings you will need on top of that add up. To keep a pressurized system tight requires accurate installation and proper cleaning upfront. My trusted stealership charged 950$, half of it was labor.
      Good luck but the engine will run so much better and help to overcome the loss of dirty paper.

Konig_Gladiator

• V Star
      « Reply #7 on: Mar 09, 2020, 02:22:33 pm »
      Well I shot some emails off to a few shops in the area. If that doesn't pan out I'll try the customer service number on Yamaha's website before I pay out of pocket.

Lulu

• Road Star
      « Reply #8 on: May 10, 2020, 05:00:08 am »
      Would be interested in learning how this ended up?
      Ride safe

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 19
      « Reply #9 on: May 10, 2020, 09:08:12 am »
      Well I shot some emails off to a few shops in the area. If that doesn't pan out I'll try the customer service number on Yamaha's website before I pay out of pocket.
      Send a PM to woodog on here - he has a friend that works at Yamaha I think