Author Topic: Not the fuel sender  (Read 587 times)

jim0626

• 2008 Yamaha Raider
  • V Star
  • Referrals: 0
Not the fuel sender
« on: Mar 28, 2020, 04:32:49 pm »
Hi.. Totally frustrated.. I have read everything on the topic of the fuel sender ..I have an 08 Raider with 13000 miles.
I replaced the air filter a was surprised to find the Gas gauge doing the 8 flashes, pause repeat thing. I ordered the new one and installed it but it will not work either.. Today I tested the old one with a ohm meter and it worked fine. If I unplug it , it does the same thing telling me the issue is somewhere else and had something to do with the tank removal during the air filter change...
I know I can use the odometer but that's not the point....
Any educated guesses as to what I can try next?
Has anyone been stumped and then come across the answer?  Has to be something simple I am missing.
Cheers from Canada....I have been out 5 times already....
« Last Edit: Mar 28, 2020, 05:32:24 pm by jim0626 »

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

Alan

• V Star
    Re: Not the fuel sender
    « Reply #1 on: Mar 28, 2020, 09:45:17 pm »
    everything is plugged back in?

jim0626

• 2008 Yamaha Raider
    • V Star
    « Reply #2 on: Mar 29, 2020, 12:02:47 am »
    Yes ....I double checked... I hoping someone may know why theres no power going to the fuel sender.. I cant follow the two wires as they go into the main wire harness.. I may cut the plug off and hook the wires up direct to see if its the plug..
    I saw on here another guy removed his tank to install an air filter and the same thing happened...Dont think there was a resolve.
    Thanks for the reply.
    Cheers

• Advertisement

A.T.

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #3 on: Mar 29, 2020, 08:21:32 am »
      Don't think I'd cutoff a connector - maybe use a wire or jumper pushed into the plug.  If that desperate, de-pin.   

My guess is you've unseated a plug or maybe a pin somewhere under the seat or a pin is slightly misaligned or there's corrosion - it happens.  If you've checked/inspected relevant connectors, reinstall/reconnect everything and maybe do some very light & slight "jostling" of the harnesses - it's how I found/resolved an issue I had when my bike kept throwing a fault code.   Be very gentle - don't want to create or exacerbate an issue.

the urban legend

• Raider
      « Reply #4 on: Mar 29, 2020, 08:28:00 am »
      According to the wiring diagram, the fuel sender gets its power from the meter assembly (gauges) and acts as a variable ground. It's likely that the supplied power is much lower than 12v, more in the 5v range. What are you using to check for power? A standard 12v test light won't even light up at 5v so a digital multimeter would be better. Another thing to consider: since the fuel gauge normally starts working only after the bike is ridden 20-30 feet, does the fuel sender receive power before the bike moves?
      I'd rather die on a motorcycle than live without one.

jim0626

• 2008 Yamaha Raider
      • V Star
      « Reply #5 on: Mar 29, 2020, 08:51:10 am »
      Thanks... The fact that the fuel sender does not get power until the bike moves means I have been wasting time looking for power turning the igniton of and on...
      Many thanks... Thats the kind of hints and clues I am hoping for.
      Cheers

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 19
      « Reply #6 on: Mar 29, 2020, 10:32:37 am »
      Thanks... The fact that the fuel sender does not get power until the bike moves means I have been wasting time looking for power turning the igniton of and on...
      Cheers
      Only suggestion I can make is if it occurred after taking the tank and reinstalling - repeat the process checking all the connections for various issues. I'm assuming you let the needles cycle before starting the bike - I didn't one time - started it up took off and noticed my gauges weren't working pulled over turned the key off and turned it back on let then cycle started it up and everything was working like it should.

the urban legend

• Raider
      « Reply #7 on: Mar 29, 2020, 06:19:40 pm »
      Cheers

I was asking a question rather than stating a fact.
       I know for a fact that you need to ride after disconnecting the gauge or refueling before the gauge wakes up. Therefore I am wondering if the sender receives power without moving the bike or not. If I could get my Raider out of storage, I'd connect a digital voltmeter and go for a ride to see what kind of readings I'd get. Unfortunately it's still snowed in.
      I'd rather die on a motorcycle than live without one.

jim0626

• 2008 Yamaha Raider
      • V Star
      « Reply #8 on: May 08, 2020, 12:50:53 pm »
      Well lads.. It looks like I will be putting a decal over the flashing fuel light.. Cant figure it out... Oddly I am not the only one that installed a new air filter and lost the fuel gauge...
      even bought a wiring diagram.. i think it uses the same fuse as the tail light..
      It was never very accurate but I hate when shit don't work...

wfm113

• Road Star
      « Reply #9 on: May 10, 2020, 09:17:19 am »
      Mine hasn't worked in awhile and now that I think about it it may have started after I had the tank off for some reason.
      Know it works "occasionally" for a few minutes then flashes. Really would like to figure it out though. Ran out of gas once when this first started.  :-[
      Ride safe

A.T.

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #10 on: May 10, 2020, 10:28:41 am »
      Pull the tank and check connector - maybe a pin got bent or pulled.

jim0626

• 2008 Yamaha Raider
      • V Star
      « Reply #11 on: May 10, 2020, 08:29:48 pm »
      I have had the tank off and checked connections a couple times.....Theres no power going to to sender unit..

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 7
      « Reply #12 on: May 10, 2020, 10:56:18 pm »
      Could it be a blown fuse?

jim0626

• 2008 Yamaha Raider
      • V Star
      « Reply #13 on: May 13, 2020, 06:14:44 am »

Thats what I would like to know .. Is there a fuse? I have seen many ask but I have never seen an answer.

Kevs UK Raider SCL

• UK Raider SCL #300
      • Roadliner
      • Referrals: 1
      « Reply #14 on: May 13, 2020, 06:43:57 am »

Thats what I would like to know .. Is there a fuse? I have seen many ask but I have never seen an answer.

It'll still be worth checking the fuses in the black compartment under the seat....
      One of only around 65 or so Raider Owners in the UK