Author Topic: SCL rim swap  (Read 892 times)

Raven

• Warrior
  • Referrals: 0
SCL rim swap
« on: Mar 30, 2020, 07:41:11 am »
Just got a great deal on Ebay for a SCL rim that I intend to swap out for my stock rim. I've always wanted a wider rim over the skinnier stock one but was reluctant to do the cut and weld method and buying a new wider rim just wasn't financially possible. So my question is if its just a direct swap or do I need to do any mods to make it fit? I'll be using an Avon 240 for my tire. I do remember reading about something with the brake caliper but not entirely sure. Any tips are greatly appreciated  :)
« Last Edit: Mar 30, 2020, 08:01:02 am by Raven »

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

Kevs UK Raider SCL

• UK Raider SCL #300
    • Warrior
    • Referrals: 1
    Re: SCL rim swap
    « Reply #1 on: Mar 30, 2020, 11:36:39 am »
    Just got a great deal on Ebay for a SCL rim that I intend to swap out for my stock rim. I've always wanted a wider rim over the skinnier stock one but was reluctant to do the cut and weld method and buying a new wider rim just wasn't financially possible. So my question is if its just a direct swap or do I need to do any mods to make it fit? I'll be using an Avon 240 for my tire. I do remember reading about something with the brake caliper but not entirely sure. Any tips are greatly appreciated  :)

I have an SCL and also a standard S model Raider.

I reckon the SCL wheel will fit the standard bike with your hub and pulley. I could be wrong but its probably just an extra 0.5" wider wheel with the same support gear (spacers etc)

I do not think the caliper bracket is any different.
    « Last Edit: Mar 30, 2020, 11:43:14 am by Kevs UK Raider SCL »
    One of only around 85 or so Raider Owners in the UK

Raven

• Warrior
    « Reply #2 on: Mar 30, 2020, 12:06:01 pm »

I have an SCL and also a standard S model Raider.

I reckon the SCL wheel will fit the standard bike with your hub and pulley. I could be wrong but its probably just an extra 0.5" wider wheel with the same support gear (spacers etc)

I do not think the caliper bracket is any different.

I believe the SCL rims are quite a bit wider than the stock 7.5" ones. If you go by the picture that this eBay seller posted looks to me at least 1" or 1.25". I've read on other threads claims of the SCL only being 8" so unless they varied from year to year or there's something wrong with this guy's measuring tape than I'm going with the picture. Hence my concern about clearances. Thanks for the feedback...
    « Last Edit: Mar 30, 2020, 12:33:23 pm by Raven »

• Advertisement

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 7
      « Reply #3 on: Mar 30, 2020, 12:36:43 pm »
      Could it be that rims are measured from the inner dimension of the rim?

I've always heard 8.0" form SCL.

I have Performance Edge Savage Eclipse wheels and they're 8.5".

Raven

• Warrior
      « Reply #4 on: Mar 30, 2020, 01:44:25 pm »
      Could it be that rims are measured from the inner dimension of the rim?

I've always heard 8.0" form SCL.

I have Performance Edge Savage Eclipse wheels and they're 8.5".

Unfortunately I think you may be right Ares. Just Googled rim measurement and shows them measuring from the inside of the lip. That being the case it's probably not worthwhile to spend the $$ for only half an inch...

Zxdave

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 2
      « Reply #5 on: Mar 30, 2020, 02:11:57 pm »
      Yeah rims are measured from bead surfaces , not outside edge
      Lean till it grinds , then lean some more ..