Author Topic: Bike will not start/battery good  (Read 535 times)

Raidercruz

• I enjoy adventure, travel, MOTO GP,Tennessee VOLS
  • Road Star
  • Referrals: 0
Bike will not start/battery good
« on: Apr 18, 2020, 10:21:44 am »
My 2009 Raider S won't turn over. Battery is fully charged. The light on tank flashes and a clicking noise
is heard from under seat?
proud to be a  "SEAROAR " member

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

Fiddles

• SEA-ROAR
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 1
    Re: Bike will not start/battery good
    « Reply #1 on: Apr 18, 2020, 10:25:52 am »
    Starter may be shot or bad connection,  starter relay could be the problem
    V&H 2into1, Bullet cowl, Full Wrap front Fender, Ultimate  seat, Barons Tach, lowering bones and progressive spring, Ivan's flash, K&N filter with open air box, Avon Cobra Chrome  tires

TRaider_John

• Patriot Guard Rider
    • Global Moderator
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 5
    « Reply #2 on: Apr 18, 2020, 11:41:48 am »
    It could be as simple as a loose battery connection.  Afully charged battery is useless if it has a bad cell or high internal resistance. If you can, check the tterminal voltage.  A good battery will be around 13.2 volts.  A fully charged battery with 12.4 vilts is a problem.

• Advertisement

Kevs UK Raider SCL

• UK Raider SCL #300
      • Roadliner
      « Reply #3 on: Apr 18, 2020, 12:49:27 pm »
      If it's the original battery on your '09, then it probably is that as 11 years on the same battery is very good.

If not, as suggested, it could be the starter relay/solenoid which is under the seat. It's the item with what seems 2 green fuses but one is a spare. Never had a fuse go, the unit just packs in. Not much to replace and its a generic part across many of the Yamaha models.

Good Luck
      One of only around 65 or so Raider Owners in the UK

StrykerBilly

• Warrior
      « Reply #4 on: Apr 18, 2020, 05:44:38 pm »
      Work the problem from start to finish and don't eliminate things without actual testing.  Low hanging fruit first always.

I'd say the battery would be suspect at that age.  Plus the clicking sound is often the battery not having enough juice.  Test it and everything before ruling things out.

You could jumpstart the bike from a car battery(don't have car running).  If it starts bad battery.  If not...
      You could direct jump the starter if you know 1000% the bike is in neutral.  This defeats all the safety circuits.  make sure bikes rolls.  Don't just rely on neutral indicator.  If starter turns over and bike starts then probably the relay.

In other words, start from the beginning and test everything.  None of this will probably take too much time if you have the required tools. Good luck!

heftysmurf

• Road Star
      « Reply #5 on: Apr 23, 2020, 01:31:39 pm »
      More than likely a starter relay.
      2011 Raider S

LeaderDuece

• There is no substitute for power. Raw nasty power.
      • Warrior
      « Reply #6 on: Apr 23, 2020, 02:23:50 pm »
      Just because the battery is fully charged doesn’t mean it still has enough juice in it to start a bike. How many volts does it read when you push the starter switch? If it drops below 9 the battery is toast.

RangerRick

• Raider
      « Reply #7 on: Apr 23, 2020, 03:15:15 pm »
      Work the problem from start to finish and don't eliminate things without actual testing.  Low hanging fruit first always.

I'd say the battery would be suspect at that age.  Plus the clicking sound is often the battery not having enough juice.  Test it and everything before ruling things out.

You could jumpstart the bike from a car battery(don't have car running).  If it starts bad battery.  If not...
      You could direct jump the starter if you know 1000% the bike is in neutral.  This defeats all the safety circuits.  make sure bikes rolls.  Don't just rely on neutral indicator.  If starter turns over and bike starts then probably the relay.

In other words, start from the beginning and test everything.  None of this will probably take too much time if you have the required tools. Good luck!

That's how I found out my starter went bad, (3 times over my 92,000 miles) be forewarned the sparks will fly when you touch the post on the starter motor :o ;)
      « Last Edit: Apr 23, 2020, 03:17:07 pm by RangerRick »
      2009 Raider XV19CYS
      ANG Member 25 years
      Retired Aug. 1, 2010

sundancer87

• Road Star
      « Reply #8 on: Apr 23, 2020, 04:15:00 pm »
      Jumping the starter as suggested above.  Instead of making the last battery connection to the starter post make it the first.  Let the ground connection take the brunt of the load somewhere it won't be seen.  Hitting the starter post first could damage the threads and then your nuts are fried.

wyner

• Road Star
      « Reply #9 on: Apr 23, 2020, 09:25:45 pm »
      ... and nobody likes that!! :)

A.T.

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #10 on: Apr 24, 2020, 06:42:05 am »
      ... and nobody likes that!! :)

And that would suck!

« Last Edit: Apr 24, 2020, 06:47:27 am by A.T. »

RETiRED raider rider

• Road Star
      « Reply #11 on: Apr 26, 2020, 01:16:48 pm »

Had the same symptoms, battery showed full charge, draw down test showed maybe a bad cell, changed battery... problem solved !  I assume u found the problem by now, whatever it was, but this may be a good way to start for anyone having same symptoms.

MrReacher

• V Star
      « Reply #12 on: May 25, 2020, 02:16:35 pm »
      I ran into a similar problem on my 09 Raider. For about a month prior it was taking longer than normal for the bike to actually start, but I understand that the heavy compression of the raider can cause some trouble in that arena so I thought nothing of it. Bought a new battery and that didn't fix the problem. I took off the starter (looks almost like a oil filter at the front bottom of the bike) and the gear could be twisted both directions. Ordered a new one and it cranked better than ever before!

TL;DR- Try a new starter, worked for me!

LoneRaiderMI

• V Star
      « Reply #13 on: Today at 02:11:45 pm »
      Had same issue. Connections on the starter relay under the seat were corroded. Took relay out tore it apart cleaned all the contacts and cable ends put back together all works great...P.S. Replaced battery first and that was not it....O well have a new battery now. No worries.