Author Topic: Stripped threads  (Read 351 times)

713Raider

• V Star
  • Referrals: 0
Stripped threads
« on: Apr 29, 2020, 02:19:44 pm »
I need help from you all. I am replacing the aftermarket exhaust the previous owner installed, but the goofball tore up the threads where the exhaust plate mounts to the frame. What would be the best way to fix? I am thinking of just re-tapping the threads, but I don't know what size it may be? Any thoughts? My V&H 2 into 1 are just sitting until I figure this one out.

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

Kevs UK Raider SCL

• UK Raider SCL #300
    • Roadliner
    • Referrals: 1
    Re: Stripped threads
    « Reply #1 on: Apr 29, 2020, 02:45:28 pm »
    I need help from you all. I am replacing the aftermarket exhaust the previous owner installed, but the goofball tore up the threads where the exhaust plate mounts to the frame. What would be the best way to fix? I am thinking of just re-tapping the threads, but I don't know what size it may be? Any thoughts? My V&H 2 into 1 are just sitting until I figure this one out.

Those two bolts seem to have a smaller pitch and not the usual metric size. I have had trouble with these and ended up re-tapping them out to take a metric bolt.

You could drill the holes out and put a not and bolt set-up on, although this is a bit of an easy way out.

Good luck as someone on here might be able to tell you the actual thread sizes. You really have to get the alignment spot on otherwise its easy to mess up the thread. I have the V&H 2:1 for reference.
    One of only around 65 or so Raider Owners in the UK

713Raider

• V Star
    « Reply #2 on: Apr 29, 2020, 03:30:18 pm »
    Thanks Kevs...I may end up going the same route as you and just find the best metric match I can find and then re-tapp.

• Advertisement

Dirtiegirtie

• Road Star
      « Reply #3 on: Apr 29, 2020, 04:33:34 pm »
      I assume you have the bolt that goes into the thread? Do you have a Lowe's around you? They have thread gauges hanging by the bolts that you can use to measure it.

I just had to fix a stripped spark plug thread. Had to remove the head but used a TimeSert kit... Wow! It's expensive ($150) but seems like a solid, permanent solution. Very easy to use. I would def use TimeSert again to fix ruined threads. But probably overkill for your application here.

713Raider

• V Star
      « Reply #5 on: Apr 30, 2020, 12:05:59 pm »
      I assume you have the bolt that goes into the thread? Do you have a Lowe's around you? They have thread gauges hanging by the bolts that you can use to measure it.

I just had to fix a stripped spark plug thread. Had to remove the head but used a TimeSert kit... Wow! It's expensive ($150) but seems like a solid, permanent solution. Very easy to use. I would def use TimeSert again to fix ruined threads. But probably overkill for your application here.

Thanks Dirtiegirtie. Thats probably too much work and money for this scenario, but I will have to keep your fix in mind if other problems arise.

713Raider

• V Star
      « Reply #6 on: Apr 30, 2020, 12:06:54 pm »

Litos

• Warrior
      • Referrals: 1
      « Reply #7 on: May 04, 2020, 03:56:05 pm »
      Hey 713, what side of town are you on ??

I was a Raider owner a long time ago, but now ride an Indian Scout Bobber...

A couple of weeks ago, I rode with a couple of Houston Area Raider owners and there were "whispers" of having a LoneStar Raider Rally @ October...

Maybe we can link up one weekend - I'm at 288/BW8 :)
      Ivan ECU Club - Ivan Custom PC Map Club - LA Choppers Club - PCS Club - 240 Club - Custom LED Club - SAC Club - Custom Paint Whore - Red Rim Club Member