Author Topic: Maintenance required, how much?  (Read 575 times)

Badbluraider

• Warrior
  • Referrals: 0
Maintenance required, how much?
« on: May 02, 2020, 12:07:04 am »
1. I am in need of a new set of Avon's, got about 10k on the set. Was going to post a pic of my front tire but after lookin at the pic I was ashamed and know very well it should have been changed a while ago. Anyway. Any sales that I have not seen, looks like Moto World is about $362 for the set?

2. Front brakes been squeaking somewhat and I have been watching them regularly. I am posting a pic for you guys to gander at and tell me do I need now or wait a bit? Originals with 16k on them. By measuring there's about 3/16" on each pad and look to be wearing fairly even. I am pretty easy on them but take it out on the tires and pegs.

3. For a little while both fork seals looked to be leaking slightly but after short ride the other night on a real rough rode I came home to see puke on the right side of the motor, pipes and other items. The right fork seal looked as if had gone completely. Tonight I did the thin plastic(2liter) clean out around the seal only to find no gunk in there but plenty of fluid oozing up, wiped fork off then held the front brake and rocked it back and forth. Posting a pic after pulling the plastic out and the fluid is actually running. To me looks like this one is shot, watcha think?

Thanks for all feedback in advance!!!

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

Kevs UK Raider SCL

• UK Raider SCL #300
    • Roadliner
    • Referrals: 1
    Re: Maintenance required, how much?
    « Reply #1 on: May 02, 2020, 01:30:01 am »
    1. I am in need of a new set of Avon's, got about 10k on the set. Was going to post a pic of my front tire but after lookin at the pic I was ashamed and know very well it should have been changed a while ago. Anyway. Any sales that I have not seen, looks like Moto World is about $362 for the set?

2. Front brakes been squeaking somewhat and I have been watching them regularly. I am posting a pic for you guys to gander at and tell me do I need now or wait a bit? Originals with 16k on them. By measuring there's about 3/16" on each pad and look to be wearing fairly even. I am pretty easy on them but take it out on the tires and pegs.

3. For a little while both fork seals looked to be leaking slightly but after short ride the other night on a real rough rode I came home to see puke on the right side of the motor, pipes and other items. The right fork seal looked as if had gone completely. Tonight I did the thin plastic(2liter) clean out around the seal only to find no gunk in there but plenty of fluid oozing up, wiped fork off then held the front brake and rocked it back and forth. Posting a pic after pulling the plastic out and the fluid is actually running. To me looks like this one is shot, watcha think?

Thanks for all feedback in advance!!!

Hiya
    Taking things in order.... I cannot comment on decent prices for tires as I'm in the UK, however, I get up to 18k mile on a rear Avon Cobra 240 and around 13-14K on the front. The reason the front wears quicker is the profile on the front is softer. I would stick with Avons and they are Cobra Chromes now (AV91 & AV92). Tires are a personal thing though and you'll get various opinions on here about them.

Brake pads.... The main reason for brakes squeaking is when the piston from the caliper presses on the rear of the pad (which is dry) it squeals. Take the pads out and put some copper grease on the rear of the pad, job done. Copper grease doesn't dissolve under higher temperatures than other grease. Having said that, if they are original pads and the bike is several years old, the pads can go hard and become less efficient. Whether you are hard on braking or not, they do require changing at some point.

If you have tried running a small piece of plastic around the fork seal and haven't managed to cure the problem, it's probably time to change the seals. What I will say is....use Yamaha genuine seals as cheaper aftermarket ones are often rubbish and it's not a job you want to keep doing.

Hope this helps
    One of only around 65 or so Raider Owners in the UK

Zekester

• Road Star
    « Reply #2 on: May 02, 2020, 06:01:16 am »
    If you have been wanting to put Progressive Springs in the front forks now would be a great time when you do replace the fork seals. 
    Zeke
    USMC
    1971-1973
    2012 SCL #8

• Advertisement

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 19
      « Reply #3 on: May 02, 2020, 08:35:32 am »
      Dennis Kirk and Walmart have been running some good deals on tires

The fork seals take about 1 1/2 hrs each side and since you are doing one you should do both and like Kev said go back with OEM I found out the hard way a few years back - fork seal replacement within a month the shop covered the cost on the 2nd time but still not good.

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 7
      « Reply #4 on: May 02, 2020, 10:14:46 am »
      Fork seals can easily lead to disaster as they can drip down onto your calipers and brake pads rendering them useless when stopping. If you have a leak don't disregard it.

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #5 on: May 02, 2020, 11:19:11 am »
      Forgot to mention yes you need tires before coming to the SERR - those roads love to eat tires.

Badbluraider

• Warrior
      « Reply #6 on: May 02, 2020, 09:29:09 pm »
      Definitely need tires for SERR! Between the condition of the front tire and my right fork seal dripping fluid I am pretty much dead in the water for now. However I did ride around our development in first and second gear to be able to ride it some.

Found out that Avon is doing a $60 rebate on a set by shopping around on the net. Perfect timing, now if Walmart would put them on sale again for $130 for the 240 that would be real sweet. ;D

Any of you guys take a look at the pic of the brakes? I am thinking 3/16 isn't much but I don't know where they start out and these are originals with 16k on them. I am not a big braker but I am also thinking ahead for at SERR.

Thanks again guys!!!

Sgt Fury

• 2012 Raider SCL #188
      • Road Star
      • Referrals: 1
      « Reply #7 on: May 02, 2020, 11:01:38 pm »
      Definitely do both fork seals and be done with it and perhaps change the weight of the new fork oil if the techs recommend it.  Your brake pads: looking at the depth of the slots, you have a long way to go as an average rider. Various new composite/metallic bike pads aren't that thick when new if you look at them at a dealership.  Pads are not expensive ($15-45) and easy to replace when the time comes, but I wouldn't replace them until another year or two or three depending on how much you ride.  As far as squeaks/squeals, try this very easy step first:  (My Hondas did this after riding in dusty or even picking up random road-salt dust after the highways were dried off.)  I just washed the bike wheel a little extra with my car soap and water paying more attention than usual to the brake caliper assembly, then blew it out or just rode it around the block.  Problem was usually gone for the rest of the riding season.  I did the same to my cars too if the problem occurred (or even a toot of BrakeKleen without pulling the wheel).  Then if this doesn't work, disassemble & lube it per Kev's suggestion below.  Of course, you may just want to buy a set of pads if your going to take it apart!  Personally, I'd still put the originals back in cleaned, lubed and good to go for a few more years.  I never had bike pads go bad in several bikes across 40 years of riding and never owned a bike long enough to wear out original OEM pads (front or rear).  I kept checking them for wear, usually when changing brake fluid each year, but they go down very slow unless you are a hard rider.   O8O
      « Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 11:40:24 pm by Sgt Fury »

There's no substitute for cubic inches and a good engine management system!   Hmmm, well maybe a blower, NOS or turbo....

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #8 on: May 03, 2020, 08:05:30 am »
      Definitely need tires for SERR! Between the condition of the front tire and my right fork seal dripping fluid I am pretty much dead in the water for now. However I did ride around our development in first and second gear to be able to ride it some.

Found out that Avon is doing a $60 rebate on a set by shopping around on the net. Perfect timing, now if Walmart would put them on sale again for $130 for the 240 that would be real sweet. ;D

Any of you guys take a look at the pic of the brakes? I am thinking 3/16 isn't much but I don't know where they start out and these are originals with 16k on them. I am not a big braker but I am also thinking ahead for at SERR.

Thanks again guys!!!

You're going to be doing fork seals and new tires while you have everything apart go ahead and put new brake pads on the front if nothing else one less thing to think about while riding.

Zxdave

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 2
      « Reply #9 on: May 04, 2020, 10:05:36 pm »

Thanks again guys!!!

While you got rims off swapping tires bro go ahead and slap new pads in there , not gonna hurt a thing and you’ll definitely be ready for SERR then
      Lean till it grinds , then lean some more ..

dukedomain

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #10 on: May 05, 2020, 01:39:24 pm »

Thanks again guys!!!

While you got rims off swapping tires bro go ahead and slap new pads in there , not gonna hurt a thing and you’ll definitely be ready for SERR then

I agree.  I've never put brake pads on a bike because they were needed.

Coldfinger

• Roadliner
      « Reply #11 on: May 06, 2020, 08:30:42 pm »
      I feel guilty now.  I rarely replace my pads before the grooves are gone.