Author Topic: 2008 Quick release backrest hardware needed!  (Read 982 times)

Fiddles

• SEA-ROAR
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 1
Re: 2008 Quick release backrest hardware needed!
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2020, 01:27:52 pm »
Have tried 2 times but the pics wont post
V&H 2into1, Bullet cowl, Full Wrap front Fender, Ultimate  seat, Barons Tach, lowering bones and progressive spring, Ivan's flash, K&N filter with open air box, Avon Cobra Chrome  tires

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

Fiddles

• SEA-ROAR
    • Raider
    « Reply #16 on: May 09, 2020, 01:30:16 pm »
    Couple pics of mounting hardware for qr backrest
    V&H 2into1, Bullet cowl, Full Wrap front Fender, Ultimate  seat, Barons Tach, lowering bones and progressive spring, Ivan's flash, K&N filter with open air box, Avon Cobra Chrome  tires

sbarrows67

• V Star
    • Referrals: 0
    « Reply #17 on: May 09, 2020, 02:14:38 pm »
    Thanks Roadkill!  Do you think Fiddles could send the info directly to me also at [email protected]?  That would be a great help!  Then I just need a website that sells the elusive axle sleeves (rollers)

• Advertisement

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 19
      « Reply #18 on: May 09, 2020, 03:34:09 pm »
      Thanks Roadkill!  Do you think Fiddles could send the info directly to me also at [email protected]?  That would be a great help!  Then I just need a website that sells the elusive axle sleeves (rollers)
      He posted pics did you see them - you can send him a PM on here

sbarrows67

• V Star
      « Reply #19 on: May 09, 2020, 03:48:07 pm »
      I saw the pics....awesome....pretty much how I imagined them. Looks pretty simple....bolt, roller, spacer.  You would think these would be pretty much universal?

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 19
      « Reply #20 on: May 09, 2020, 06:29:32 pm »
      I saw the pics....awesome....pretty much how I imagined them. Looks pretty simple....bolt, roller, spacer.  You would think these would be pretty much universal?
      Did some more digging according to a post on MBF back in 2012 a guy was looking for the same hardware you are and said he found out that the spacers and rollers for the Yamaha Quick Release Windshield were the same diameter except that the roller wasn't as wide.

sbarrows67

• V Star
      « Reply #21 on: May 09, 2020, 09:43:05 pm »
      I think I saw the same or similar post as you. Not sure how that would work if it's not wide enough.   This is definitely a head scratcher. Pretty soon I'll just try to sell it. It's got the luggage rack and everything. What a shame to get rid of it because of the stupid mounting hardware.....grrrrr

Fiddles

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #22 on: May 10, 2020, 07:27:45 am »
      i can send to your email  but might be  day or  2

sbarrows67

• V Star
      « Reply #23 on: May 11, 2020, 08:28:01 am »
      Great!  I may know a guy at a machine shop that can make these if I have the correct measurements....spacers, spools.  I'm pretty sure I can get the bolts no problem as long as i know the total width of the spacers plus spools.  Thanks again!

sbarrows67

• V Star
      « Reply #24 on: May 19, 2020, 04:14:56 pm »
      I want to thank Dirtiegirtie who did an even trade for my "unicorn" backrest for his OEM fixed backrest.  Please reach out to Dirtiegirtie with any information to help him with locating mounts or specs. Fiddles, I forwarded your info to Dirtiegirtie so he may reach out to you for a little more clarification.   Thanks again everyone! 

Dirtiegirtie

• Road Star
      « Reply #25 on: May 20, 2020, 07:26:03 am »
      Scott - Much appreciated for the trade, thanks!

After I took my backrest off (as my wife came on ONE ride with me last year) I ended up leaving the rear seat off and putting the luggage rack on my bike. I'm really digging the look! And it will buy me some time to get the hardware sorted out. I'll keep everyone up-to-date on my progress on the hardware front.

SicarioPeponi

• V Star
      « Reply #26 on: May 23, 2020, 12:37:15 pm »
      « Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 07:53:27 pm by SicarioPeponi »

sbarrows67

• V Star
      « Reply #27 on: May 23, 2020, 02:42:10 pm »
      Thanks Sicario.....hopefully Dirtiegirtie sees this and can use those specs

Dirtiegirtie

• Road Star
      « Reply #28 on: May 27, 2020, 10:55:43 am »
      Thanks Sicario.....hopefully Dirtiegirtie sees this and can use those specs

I did not see it and it looks like Sicario deleted whatever was there. I PM'ed him so hopefully I find out what info was posted.

As for my search: I'll start a new thread once I have it all sorted out, but it looks like I'm on the right track. I bought the Eluder quick-release backrest hardware, part number 2DG-F84U0-V0-00. I found it for $117 once shipping was added. It has the two small (front) pulleys and the two rear (large) pulleys, but the bolts are larger diameter... I think they are M10 or M12 instead of the M8x1.25 bolts our Raider's have.

Also, the spacers included in the Eluder kit are the wrong length, so I just spent another $35 on spacers, washers, and bolts of the correct length from McMaster Carr. The good thing about having to buy new spacers due to length is that I was able to get some with the correct (smaller) ID that I need.

The last thing will be to add a bushing to the pulleys. Right now the ID's are oversized on the fender stay bolts so they don't stay centered. I looked at a spacer or bushing to put inbetween of the bolt and the pulley but to no avail... I guess I could 3D print something but I think I'll try going ghetto on it first... I grabbed some tubing from work that I'm hoping will take up the slack between the bolt and the pulley.

I want to thank Fiddles. If I didn't get the pictures of the hardware I wouldn't have been able to see that the Eluder hardware looked so similiar. After that, it was just taking a chance that mama-yamaha would try to keep parts the same size as much as possible acrosss their bikes... and it seems to be so.

Stay tuned, more to come!