Author Topic: Clunk on decel after washing belt  (Read 2041 times)

Doylee4693

• Road Star
  • Referrals: 0
Clunk on decel after washing belt
« on: May 14, 2020, 01:54:31 pm »
Got a clunk when I let off gas after washing the belt, and it doesn’t happen in first or second gear. On low rpms in third it sounds horrible. Wtf happened?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 03:00:35 pm by Doylee4693 »
Big Red

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

Zekester

• Road Star
    Re: Clunk on decel after washing belt
    « Reply #1 on: May 14, 2020, 07:24:34 pm »
    Explain how you washed it and what you used.  Did you wash pulley also?  If it was not doing it before the wash then I would start there.
    « Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 07:26:29 pm by Zekester »
    Zeke
    USMC
    1971-1973
    2012 SCL #8

Doylee4693

• Road Star
    « Reply #2 on: May 15, 2020, 06:13:40 am »
    I used the same stuff I was my car with, mcquire deep crystal car wash. I didn’t wash the pully just gave the belt a good scrub. Happened about 5 mins imto my drive on a third gear pull.
    Big Red

• Advertisement

Zekester

• Road Star
      « Reply #3 on: May 15, 2020, 07:36:23 am »
      Is it still doing it after the belt is good and dry?  Sounds like some film from the washing soap got on the underside of the belt but one would also think the belt would have to be somewhat loose also to cause this.
      Zeke
      USMC
      1971-1973
      2012 SCL #8

Doylee4693

• Road Star
      « Reply #4 on: May 15, 2020, 08:28:34 am »
      I hand dried it after washing it. Imcant tell you if the belts loose or not because im waiting on a gauge to come in the mail to check it. Man im praying its not the dang third gear failure. It does appear to be alligned proper.. but both allignment indicators on each side of the bike are different. Ive never messed with them but ai thought they were supposed to be the same on both sides.
      Big Red

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 20
      « Reply #5 on: May 15, 2020, 09:08:54 am »
      You don't need a gauge to check the belt tension - using your thumb place it in the center of the top of the belt - push down if the belt moves more than 1/2 inch it's loose if less than a 1/4 it's too tight - washing the belt or the pulleys shouldn't cause a clunk - did you take the belt guards off to wash it and did you put them back on afterwards - if you took them off and didn't put them back on you could have picked up a rock.

Doylee4693

• Road Star
      « Reply #6 on: May 15, 2020, 09:32:26 am »
      I put the guard back on after cleaning. Question is why is it only doing it in third even if it is loose? The rear tire was changed at an indy dealer like 500 miles ago last year so it may have something to do with that. Il check and see if belt is lose after I get my mop cut.
      Big Red

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #7 on: May 15, 2020, 09:48:14 am »
      I put the guard back on after cleaning. Question is why is it only doing it in third even if it is loose? The rear tire was changed at an indy dealer like 500 miles ago last year so it may have something to do with that. Il check and see if belt is lose after I get my mop cut.
      A loose belt is not going to cause transmission lash, it will cause belt chirp/squeak - the adjustment marks on the swing arm are also useless the best way to align the rear wheel is to measure from the center of the swing arm pivot bolt to the center of the axle - If the dealer left out a spacer when installing the wheel that could be a cause but doesn't explain why in 3rd gear.

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 7
      « Reply #8 on: May 15, 2020, 10:50:58 am »
      A rock in the pulley wouldn't explain only third gear either. I picked one up going through a new construction area once and it was super obvious.

Doylee4693

• Road Star
      « Reply #9 on: May 15, 2020, 11:12:35 am »
      Went out and tested everyother gear past third and they are fine.. this fckin pos blew third gear... fck sakes
      Big Red

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #10 on: May 15, 2020, 11:28:27 am »
      Went out and tested everyother gear past third and they are fine.. this fckin pos blew third gear... fck sakes
      Damn shame from what I can remember there has only been a few members on here that had that issue - not mistaken wolfraider was one of them.

Doylee4693

• Road Star
      « Reply #11 on: May 15, 2020, 11:53:44 am »
      Called yamaha and no help of corse, not that I was expecting it I guess. This shit makes me sick to my stomach. The yamaha dealer says they have to pull the motor to see if there is other gears affected ect and to see what the problem is in general. So irritating. I should go park the damn thing in the hood for a few nights. Hope it gets stolen. Man im so bummed
      Big Red

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #12 on: May 15, 2020, 12:41:27 pm »
      Called yamaha and no help of corse, not that I was expecting it I guess. This shit makes me sick to my stomach. The yamaha dealer says they have to pull the motor to see if there is other gears affected ect and to see what the problem is in general. So irritating. I should go park the damn thing in the hood for a few nights. Hope it gets stolen. Man im so bummed
      Where do you live?

Kevs UK Raider SCL

• UK Raider SCL #300
      • Warrior
      • Referrals: 1
      « Reply #13 on: May 15, 2020, 12:43:22 pm »
      You have been unlucky if you have the 3rd gear cog issue. The XV1900 Stratoliner had a lot of issues and that bike has the same motor as the Raider.

I don't know where you live but there is a guy on here (Nicholas Easterday in Indiana) who is a guru on these engines and would probably do the job for you...
      One of only around 85 or so Raider Owners in the UK

Doylee4693

• Road Star
      « Reply #14 on: May 15, 2020, 01:31:21 pm »
      Where do you live?
      Buffalo NY
      Big Red