Author Topic: Stainless Steel or Titanium Exhaust Studs  (Read 270 times)

Karasu

• V Star
  • Referrals: 0
Stainless Steel or Titanium Exhaust Studs
« on: May 18, 2020, 12:33:31 pm »
Looking into replacing my exhaust studs. I'm prepping to do this in the next month in concert with the 16k maintenance...that's a bit late. But when I changed out my exhaust last year I noticed that the stock exhaust studs looked like hell. My question - has anyone used stainless steel or titanium exhaust studs?

I used the search function and didn't produce any relevant information.

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

A.T.

• SEA-ROAR
    • Raider
    Re: Stainless Steel or Titanium Exhaust Studs
    « Reply #1 on: May 18, 2020, 08:58:54 pm »
    I'd stick with the OEM studs.  Exhaust areas are high temp and high corrosion.  Mixing with incompatible metals may not be the best idea for expansion or may cause dissimilar metals corrosion.

RangerRick

• Raider
    • Referrals: 1
    « Reply #2 on: May 19, 2020, 11:17:12 am »
    I don't know about that application. But we used to use SS bolts and nuts on park signage, and I can tell you that more times than not they would gall and strip out when trying to take off. Any crude in the threads seemed to be the culprit. SS is not as hard I do believe.
    2009 Raider XV19CYS
    ANG Member 25 years
    Retired Aug. 1, 2010

• Advertisement

Karasu

• V Star
      « Reply #3 on: May 20, 2020, 11:43:34 pm »
      I'd stick with the OEM studs.  Exhaust areas are high temp and high corrosion.  Mixing with incompatible metals may not be the best idea for expansion or may cause dissimilar metals corrosion.

I've read about both issues on automotive forums (specifically - aluminum heads receiving stainless steel exhaust studs). The topic of dissimilar metals does come up, but is just as quickly dismissed. Long time users haven't experienced any problems. They have also mentioned that stainless steel expands much like aluminum - moreso that their steel counterparts.

I'm uncertain about titanium as it does seem to cause corrosion in aluminum.

I don't know about that application. But we used to use SS bolts and nuts on park signage, and I can tell you that more times than not they would gall and strip out when trying to take off. Any crude in the threads seemed to be the culprit. SS is not as hard I do believe.

Gauling is a concern; however, many find that high temperature anti-seize (both copper and nickel formulas which are good to 1800 and 2400 degrees F respectively) remedy galling. Also, stainless steel isn't as hard as heat treated steel. But I think it's adequate for the application (especially since our torque requirements are so low in this application).
      « Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 11:47:49 pm by Karasu »