Author Topic: Time for some new tires  (Read 1113 times)

MrReacher

• V Star
  • Referrals: 0
Time for some new tires
« on: May 25, 2020, 02:58:27 pm »
Alright folks bear with me here!

I'm buying new tires and am trying to figure out what I'm going to get. I was speaking with a fellow member via PM on this topic and was hoping to get some more input.

1) Will putting a 240 on the rear make getting into the curves harder? How will it effect freeway handling and comfort?

2) Does anyone have any experience with Shinko tires?

3) Any other input I should know before making my purchase?

Thanks in advance everyone!

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

Ares X

• Administrator
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 7
    Re: Time for some new tires
    « Reply #1 on: May 25, 2020, 03:57:47 pm »
    Almost everyone here is going to tell you to go with Avon 240 (me included).  It's a great tire and gets good life with great handling. My wife was leery to get it on her Stryker and she loves it. Took one ride for her to get used to it.  I've been using Avon 240s for years.

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 19
    « Reply #2 on: May 25, 2020, 04:58:59 pm »
    You'll find that the majority of members on here go with the Avon Cobra 240 - they've tried other brands but almost all of them come back to the Avon - it handles great in the twisties and on the open highway and in the rain - you'll get double the mileage with a set of Avons.

• Advertisement

MrReacher

• V Star
      « Reply #3 on: May 25, 2020, 05:09:16 pm »
      Thanks for the replies! I went ahead and ordered the Avon tires, will post with pics when the get put on  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Badbluraider

• Warrior
      « Reply #4 on: May 25, 2020, 06:23:01 pm »
      Thanks for the replies! I went ahead and ordered the Avon tires, will post with pics when the get put on  ;D ;D ;D ;D
      Don't know if you saw but Avon is offer a rebate on their tires up until October.

wfm113

• Road Star
      « Reply #5 on: May 25, 2020, 06:34:23 pm »
      Avon’s 240 👍👍
      Shinko just 2nd hand info , won’t get the mileage and handling of the Avon
      Ride safe

FireNative

• Road Star
      « Reply #6 on: May 25, 2020, 08:36:29 pm »
      When looking for Avon's checkout Walmart.com and Amazon they can have a good sales price most of the time.

Badbluraider

• Warrior
      « Reply #7 on: May 25, 2020, 08:43:50 pm »
      Got mine at American Moto Tire for $362 for the pair.

Dark Matter

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #8 on: May 26, 2020, 07:31:11 am »

I always check this place too before buying.  I have purchased at least two sets through these guys.  Consistantly good prices and fast delivery.  However, I got my last set from Walmart.  They had a sale and I got the set for like $225.  Turns out I didn't read what I was buying too well and the front is a whitewall, but it was only $85, and I think the rear was $138.  I haven't had them mounted yet, but will sometime before the SERR.

You're gonna love the 240...no issues getting into turns.
      The Star Cruiser “Dark Matter”; named in recognition of the attractive force theorized to exist as an explanation of balance in the universe.

“…if you can make beer in space, life in space will be possible… it is a shortage of beer in space that is holding back further space exploration.”  Dr Walsh 2009

Badbluraider

• Warrior
      « Reply #9 on: May 26, 2020, 07:40:24 am »

I always check this place too before buying.  I have purchased at least two sets through these guys.  Consistantly good prices and fast delivery.  However, I got my last set from Walmart.  They had a sale and I got the set for like $225.  Turns out I didn't read what I was buying too well and the front is a whitewall, but it was only $85, and I think the rear was $138.  I haven't had them mounted yet, but will sometime before the SERR.

:agree: I checked WalMart and others and the $362 was the most inexpensive cuz WalMart wasn't $130(on the 240) at this time. Had both tires within 5 days. They had to come from two different locations.

Clayton

• Mmm...🍺 Beer
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 2
      « Reply #10 on: May 26, 2020, 07:42:11 am »
      Avon 240! 8)

dukedomain

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #11 on: May 26, 2020, 09:36:56 am »

I always get the whitewalls, just mount the whitewall to the inside, can't see it!  :thinking:

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 19
      « Reply #12 on: May 26, 2020, 10:22:22 am »

I always get the whitewalls, just mount the whitewall to the inside, can't see it!  :thinking:
      Does the whitewalls glow in the dark?

Coldfinger

• Roadliner
      « Reply #13 on: May 27, 2020, 05:10:00 pm »
      Avon Chrome 240 notes

Dennis Kirk backordered $214
      Revzilla $230
      Walmart.com $208
      Amazon $215
      AmericanMotoTire $203
      Chapmoto $214

Dark Matter

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #14 on: May 28, 2020, 07:25:07 am »

Does the whitewalls glow in the dark?

Man, you guys are tough.   :)
      The Star Cruiser “Dark Matter”; named in recognition of the attractive force theorized to exist as an explanation of balance in the universe.

“…if you can make beer in space, life in space will be possible… it is a shortage of beer in space that is holding back further space exploration.”  Dr Walsh 2009