Author Topic: Time for some new tires  (Read 1116 times)

BorderlandBiker

• "Trust in God, no fear..." INDIAN LARRY
  • Road Star
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Time for some new tires
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2020, 11:49:23 pm »
Thanks for the replies! I went ahead and ordered the Avon tires, will post with pics when the get put on  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Avon's a great choice...you'll find the 240 tire when squeezed onto the 'stock' rim is reeeleeee about 225  50  18 (which actually gives you a better look and lean angle.
PEACE  O8O RIDE SAFE

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

SLK

• Global Moderator
    • Raider
    « Reply #16 on: May 29, 2020, 01:30:48 am »
    Got mine at American Moto Tire for $362 for the pair.

I always check this place too before buying.  I have purchased at least two sets through these guys.  Consistantly good prices and fast delivery.  However, I got my last set from Walmart.  They had a sale and I got the set for like $225.  Turns out I didn't read what I was buying too well and the front is a whitewall, but it was only $85, and I think the rear was $138.  I haven't had them mounted yet, but will sometime before the SERR.

You're gonna love the 240...no issues getting into turns.
    I always get the whitewalls, just mount the whitewall to the inside, can't see it!  :thinking:
    Does the whitewalls glow in the dark?

That is how I light my garage all winter long. 
    SLK   I ride a Yamaha because I prefer to ride the best

BorderlandBiker

• Road Star
    « Reply #17 on: Jun 01, 2020, 09:08:16 pm »
    Alright folks bear with me here!

I'm buying new tires and am trying to figure out what I'm going to get. I was speaking with a fellow member via PM on this topic and was hoping to get some more input.

1) Will putting a 240 on the rear make getting into the curves harder? How will it effect freeway handling and comfort?

2) Does anyone have any experience with Shinko tires?

3) Any other input I should know before making my purchase?

Thanks in advance everyone!
    Shinko tires scored high in a 'blind' test against other brands a few years ago CYCLE WORLD magazine...I've been running the Commander II 240 for the last 25 years (just kidding) on my M109...Outstanding mileage

• Advertisement

MrReacher

• V Star
      « Reply #18 on: Jun 03, 2020, 03:50:07 pm »
      Update: So I have the tires on and have gone about 200 miles on them thus far. Holy $*** are these amazing, so glad i listened to you guys!! Next to change the pipes :D :D :D

Badbluraider

• Warrior
      « Reply #19 on: Jun 03, 2020, 06:29:00 pm »
      Update: So I have the tires on and have gone about 200 miles on them thus far. Holy $*** are these amazing, so glad i listened to you guys!! Next to change the pipes :D :D :D
      Did you go with Avon's?

BorderlandBiker

• Road Star
      « Reply #20 on: Jun 05, 2020, 03:27:33 am »
      Has anyone compared riding a 240 on a 'STOCK' 210 rim..TOOOOOOO riding a 240 on a 240 rim...??? My only experience has been using the 240 on the stock rim...P.S. I've seen a few forum members say the 240 squeezed onto the 'Stock' rim...measures out to reeeleee be approximately a 225 50 18 tire???

Coldfinger

• Roadliner
      « Reply #21 on: Jun 05, 2020, 10:32:01 am »
      Avon Chrome 240 notes

Dennis Kirk backordered $214
      Revzilla $230
      Walmart.com $208
      Amazon $215
      AmericanMotoTire $203
      Chapmoto $214

Update - Kirk is still backordered and no ETA so I cancelled and ordered from Chapmoto. 

Also, Avon site doesn’t list Amazon or Walmart as one of their retailers so Rebate might not be available if bought thru them.   

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 7
      « Reply #22 on: Jun 05, 2020, 10:40:15 am »
      Has anyone compared riding a 240 on a 'STOCK' 210 rim..TOOOOOOO riding a 240 on a 240 rim...??? My only experience has been using the 240 on the stock rim...P.S. I've seen a few forum members say the 240 squeezed onto the 'Stock' rim...measures out to reeeleee be approximately a 225 50 18 tire???

I'm running RC Components wheels and they're 8.5" as opposed to 8".  I can't say it's a noticeable difference. It doesn't have quite as round of a look, but again barely noticeable. I believe a few of the SCLs have 8.5" wheels too, but I can't say for sure.

Badbluraider

• Warrior
      « Reply #23 on: Jun 05, 2020, 11:27:52 am »
      Avon Chrome 240 notes

Dennis Kirk backordered $214
      Revzilla $230
      Walmart.com $208
      Amazon $215
      AmericanMotoTire $203
      Chapmoto $214

Update - Kirk is still backordered and no ETA so I cancelled and ordered from Chapmoto. 

Also, Avon site doesn’t list Amazon or Walmart as one of their retailers so Rebate might not be available if bought thru them.
      Got mine from American Moto Tire. Had both in 5 days and Avon honors rebate.

BorderlandBiker

• Road Star
      « Reply #24 on: Jun 05, 2020, 07:59:59 pm »

I'm running RC Components wheels and they're 8.5" as opposed to 8".  I can't say it's a noticeable difference. It doesn't have quite as round of a look, but again barely noticeable. I believe a few of the SCLs have 8.5" wheels too, but I can't say for sure.
      I went wider when I first got my Road Warrior for over a year and had no complaints. When I got a new 'stock' rear for a trip up to Oregon I really appreciated the narrower width especially through the backroads...I'd forgotten how they cornered. HOWEVER It isn't a fair comparison to the Raider as the Warrior had a shorter wheelbase and an R-1 front end

MrReacher

• V Star
      « Reply #25 on: Jun 13, 2020, 03:17:45 pm »
      Did you go with Avon's?

I did! Thus far all is good. I will say that i can feel every bump on the road (which i actually prefer, makes me feel more informed on how the road and tire are reacting to one another) but the wife isnt as big of a fan. I also feel like im driving faster than I actually am but that could just be the increased traction i suppose...