Author Topic: Looking for advice  (Read 475 times)

Dmr83

• V Star
  • Referrals: 0
Looking for advice
« on: Jun 01, 2020, 06:48:45 am »
Hey guys. So Iím heading to maine this afternoon to look at an 09 raider s. My brother, a master mechanic, is going with me to help inspect it. I am aware of the lifter issue with the 09ís and some 10ís, but i was wondering if there was anything else I should be on the lookout for specifically? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

Fasttimez

• Warrior
    Re: Looking for advice
    « Reply #1 on: Jun 01, 2020, 08:19:41 am »
    Depending on mileage, check fork seals for leakage.  Might get you a couple dollars off the price.  If you plan on test riding it (hopefully) check for clutch engagement, check fuel gauge to be sure it's reading correctly (they have a known sending unit issue).   

Pir8

• DE, MD, Northern VA and South Eastern PA Riders
    • V Star
    « Reply #2 on: Jun 01, 2020, 08:59:54 am »
    It's probably a good idea to factor into your purchase price about 600 dollars to fix the starter and fuel pump.  Hopefully neither of these will be needed, but they are common issues.  Better to be prepared for these fixes.  I'd also say they are no reason to avoid a raider, they are SUPER easy fixes.

I know I've only got 3 posts, but I've been a Yamaha rider for quite awhile and shopped for 18 months before pulling the trigger on my '13.  I've got a lot of experience shopping for raiders! =)

Don't know if you've purchased a used motorcycle before, but it's probably also a good idea to be prepared to buy tires.  I'd estimate 500-600 for that as well (this is on the high side, but again, better to be prepared for the worst and pleasantly surprised if it's less.)

• Advertisement

Zekester

• Road Star
      « Reply #3 on: Jun 01, 2020, 09:07:54 am »
      If the Raider is low mileage and the tread is good on the tires check the date code, if close to 5 yrs. old they should be replace IMHO.  Good luck!
      Zeke
      USMC
      1971-1973
      2012 SCL #8

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 19
      « Reply #4 on: Jun 01, 2020, 01:45:30 pm »
      If the Raider is low mileage and the tread is good on the tires check the date code, if close to 5 yrs. old they should be replace IMHO.  Good luck!
      Same goes for the battery

FireNative

• Road Star
      « Reply #5 on: Jun 01, 2020, 06:31:18 pm »
      my stock 12' Raven Raider S has its stock battery and tires so I know they gonna go out any day now. So thanks for the idea to be ready to change or even change them out before my 3 long 6 day each trips. Thanks.

Pir8

• DE, MD, Northern VA and South Eastern PA Riders
      • V Star
      « Reply #6 on: Jun 01, 2020, 08:22:31 pm »
      When I got mine, the owner let me know he hadn't done an oil change yet this season, so I:
      1. Changed the oil (Synthetic, $50ish)
      2. Replaced the battery ($100)
      3. Changed the gear oil (put in synthetic, though the old gear oil looked pristine when I drained it) ($20)
      4. New tires (Avon Cobra Chrome, 240 rear). ($600, professionally installed... I hate doing tires)
      5. Checked the programming on the PCV.  (Free)
      6. Checked and changed the sparks (Iridium, $35)

Planned:
      1. Pull starter apart, inspect for damage, replace as necessary (Free to $300)
      2. Pull fuel pump, inspect for damage, replace as necessary  (Free to $400)
      3. Ship the ECU to Ivan. ($400, after shipping)

I basically budgeted in 2 grand for overhaul/upgrade stuff. That should leave me with a bike that won't throw any crazy surprises at me.

Tire info: https://www.chapmoto.com/blog/2013/01/16/tech-tips-read-motorcycle-tire-date-codes/#:~:text=Look%20on%20the%20outer%20sidewall,second%20pair%20indicates%20the%20year.

Ron505

• SEA-ROAR Member
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 2
      « Reply #7 on: Jun 03, 2020, 05:51:15 pm »
      When I got mine, the owner let me know he hadn't done an oil change yet this season, so I:
      1. Changed the oil (Synthetic, $50ish)
      2. Replaced the battery ($100)
      3. Changed the gear oil (put in synthetic, though the old gear oil looked pristine when I drained it) ($20)
      4. New tires (Avon Cobra Chrome, 240 rear). ($600, professionally installed... I hate doing tires)
      5. Checked the programming on the PCV.  (Free)
      6. Checked and changed the sparks (Iridium, $35)

Planned:
      1. Pull starter apart, inspect for damage, replace as necessary (Free to $300)
      2. Pull fuel pump, inspect for damage, replace as necessary  (Free to $400)
      3. Ship the ECU to Ivan. ($400, after shipping)

I basically budgeted in 2 grand for overhaul/upgrade stuff. That should leave me with a bike that won't throw any crazy surprises at me.

Tire info: https://www.chapmoto.com/blog/2013/01/16/tech-tips-read-motorcycle-tire-date-codes/#:~:text=Look%20on%20the%20outer%20sidewall,second%20pair%20indicates%20the%20year.
      So there should be no issue for meeting us at the Rally?
      I refuse to tiptoe through life, only to arrive at death safely.

Dmr83

• V Star
      « Reply #8 on: Jun 05, 2020, 04:30:28 am »
      Thanks for the help guys itís very much appreciated. Iím gonna be heading up today to pick it up. After talking to the guy on Monday heís kept up with regular/routine maintenance, new tires and battery, changed the oil at least once a year. Everything looks and sounds great on it, i took it for a quick ride and it rides and shifts very smoothly. Sexiest thing on two wheels 😂. Itís an 09 raider s with just over 6k miles on it, Saddle bags, windshield and a cobra swept exhaust, heís the original owner, bought it brand new from a dealer in laconia nh. Damn thing still has the warning label on the gas tank. He didnít ride it much because heís got a boat and the family gets more use out of that.

Zekester

• Road Star
      « Reply #9 on: Jun 05, 2020, 05:55:07 am »
      Sounds like you found a Cherry.  Enjoy the Raider!! :raider:
      Zeke
      USMC
      1971-1973
      2012 SCL #8