Author Topic: Looking for latest Raider Electrical Schematic (for 2015 Model)  (Read 387 times)

A.T.

• SEA-ROAR
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 0
Looking for the latest schematics for Raiders that come with LED lights as stock. 

I've got the 08 shop manual - just needing the newest schematics. 

TIA

Bill

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

Pir8

• DE, MD, Northern VA and South Eastern PA Riders
    • V Star
    Re: Looking for latest Raider Electrical Schematic (for 2015 Model)
    « Reply #1 on: Jun 02, 2020, 01:58:07 pm »
    A.T.

Do you have a 2015? I have been wondering if you could just swap out the turn signal relay from a 15 into an earlier model and run LEDs without resistors.  I have a bolt with a modified stock relay, I may see if that would work too.

Sorry to hijack thread, but I've searched and can't find anything about this anywhere on here. 

A.T.

• SEA-ROAR
    • Raider
    « Reply #2 on: Jun 02, 2020, 03:48:19 pm »
    Yes to 2015. 

Dunno if you can simply swap lights - might have to change the flasher relay as well.   It looks like the 2015 LED signal lights use the relay setup to modulate light intensity w/flash to indicate turns - all on one circuit - kinda like the Blinker Genie relays but not the same.  The prior Raider models use a two-filament bulbs, and thus separate circuits for run and turns.  I'm trying to see how they're all tied to together.  I've added some driving lights with separate turn lights, but I haven't wired the turn lights up yet.  I've ordered dual light relays, but I'm going to have to figure out the existing circuit first before I tap in. I probably have this all wrong but we'll see...

Hoping Marc (TheUrbanLegend) will stop by and add his expertise...

• Advertisement

the urban legend

• Raider
      « Reply #3 on: Jun 02, 2020, 04:20:11 pm »
      The relay is a completely different unit. The old relay had 5 wires in a 6 cavity connector, while the new one has 10 wires in a 16 cavity connector. The wiring harness to the front lollipops is also different, with only 2 wires instead of 3 for the older models.

Bill you are right about the unit modulating intensity. I think it's something like 7 volts for marker and 9 volts for blinkers.
      I'd rather die on a motorcycle than live without one.

A.T.

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #4 on: Jun 02, 2020, 04:46:33 pm »
      The relay is a completely different unit. The old relay had 5 wires in a 6 cavity connector, while the new one has 10 wires in a 16 cavity connector. The wiring harness to the front lollipops is also different, with only 2 wires instead of 3 for the older models.

Bill you are right about the unit modulating intensity. I think it's something like 7 volts for marker and 9 volts for blinkers.

Thanks Marc.  I'll probably tie in at the connectors under the tank...problem with such low voltages and low draw is the slightest bad connection can add unneeded resistance...

the urban legend

• Raider
      « Reply #5 on: Jun 02, 2020, 08:39:03 pm »

Thanks Marc.  I'll probably tie in at the connectors under the tank...problem with such low voltages and low draw is the slightest bad connection can add unneeded resistance...

What type of light bar are you adding? Does it have a driving lamp + marker/blinker combination, or just a driving lamp + blinker?

A.T.

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #6 on: Jun 03, 2020, 06:22:41 am »

What type of light bar are you adding? Does it have a driving lamp + marker/blinker combination, or just a driving lamp + blinker?

It's marker w/white LEDs and blinker w/yellow, each wired separately.  I've wired the running lights to the handlebar switch, but have not connected the turn lights.  The lights are not exclusive so I'll need a relay to shut off the running lights when the blinkers are active. 

Lights:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Driving-Engine-Guard-Highway-Crash-Bars-Light-Turn-Signal-Fit-for-Harley-Softail/313000505237?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I ordered this relay to control the lights:  https://chromeglow.com/products/solar-circuits-led-turn-signal-wiring-circuits

If the relay shifts power from marker to blinker, that's a step in the right direction. 

the urban legend

• Raider
      « Reply #7 on: Jun 03, 2020, 06:30:27 pm »

It's marker w/white LEDs and blinker w/yellow, each wired separately.  I've wired the running lights to the handlebar switch, but have not connected the turn lights.  The lights are not exclusive so I'll need a relay to shut off the running lights when the blinkers are active. 

Lights:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Driving-Engine-Guard-Highway-Crash-Bars-Light-Turn-Signal-Fit-for-Harley-Softail/313000505237?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I ordered this relay to control the lights:  https://chromeglow.com/products/solar-circuits-led-turn-signal-wiring-circuits

If the relay shifts power from marker to blinker, that's a step in the right direction.

I'm looking at the link for the lights. From what I can see in the description the lights have a (copy/paste quote) "Switchback function turns off the white driving lights when the turn signal is on for maximum visibility". The way I understand it, the white light shuts off whenever the turn signal is on. I don't see why you would need that relay.

Have you tried the light directly on a battery? I'm thinking the turn signal doesn't work unless the driving light is powered up, based on the earlier quote.

Are you keeping the stock marker/turn signals, or eliminating them altogether? I have a few ideas on how to wire them up, depending on your intention.

A.T.

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #8 on: Jun 03, 2020, 08:23:48 pm »

I'm looking at the link for the lights. From what I can see in the description the lights have a (copy/paste quote) "Switchback function turns off the white driving lights when the turn signal is on for maximum visibility". The way I understand it, the white light shuts off whenever the turn signal is on. I don't see why you would need that relay.

Have you tried the light directly on a battery? I'm thinking the turn signal doesn't work unless the driving light is powered up, based on the earlier quote.

Are you keeping the stock marker/turn signals, or eliminating them altogether? I have a few ideas on how to wire them up, depending on your intention.

I will be keeping the stock front marker/signals.  I tried the switchback function on the bench and it did not work.  I was able to power the turns independently, and light both LED colors - I'll try again. 

My intention is to keep the stock front marker/turns and add these crashbar mounted lights to function the same. Not sure I can tap into the harnesses in the headlight bucket - not sure if there's enough power there.  I would certainly welcome your ideas.   Let me re-check the switchback function and post back.   

the urban legend

• Raider
      « Reply #9 on: Jun 03, 2020, 09:25:30 pm »

I will be keeping the stock front marker/signals.  I tried the switchback function on the bench and it did not work.  I was able to power the turns independently, and light both LED colors - I'll try again. 

My intention is to keep the stock front marker/turns and add these crashbar mounted lights to function the same. Not sure I can tap into the harnesses in the headlight bucket - not sure if there's enough power there.  I would certainly welcome your ideas.   Let me re-check the switchback function and post back.

Since you plan on keeping the front OEM lollipops, I think tapping into the turn signal wires inside the headlamp bucket either won't work, or will be glitchy and unreliable because the wire carries power for the marker lamp and the blinker. I would suggest getting your power from the main harness under the seat, at that big connector that feeds the rear fender. Tap into the wires on the bike side of the harness to keep fender removal easy when needed. It should be the brown (left) and the green (right) wires. There should be 12 volts there but you should check just to be sure if you have a voltmeter. The only work I've ever done on those newer turn signal circuits has been through the internet. I've never actually gotten my hands on one.

Since you say both driving and turn signal lights work at the same time, then you will need the solar relays that you got. They look small enough to fit inside the headlamp bucket. That would give you access to the accessory light wires, and you could run the 2 turn signal wires from the rear into the bucket to have all your connections in the same place.

A.T.

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #10 on: Jun 04, 2020, 06:42:17 am »

Since you plan on keeping the front OEM lollipops, I think tapping into the turn signal wires inside the headlamp bucket either won't work, or will be glitchy and unreliable because the wire carries power for the marker lamp and the blinker. I would suggest getting your power from the main harness under the seat, at that big connector that feeds the rear fender. Tap into the wires on the bike side of the harness to keep fender removal easy when needed. It should be the brown (left) and the green (right) wires. There should be 12 volts there but you should check just to be sure if you have a voltmeter. The only work I've ever done on those newer turn signal circuits has been through the internet. I've never actually gotten my hands on one.

Since you say both driving and turn signal lights work at the same time, then you will need the solar relays that you got. They look small enough to fit inside the headlamp bucket. That would give you access to the accessory light wires, and you could run the 2 turn signal wires from the rear into the bucket to have all your connections in the same place.

Thanks Marc.  I retested the lights for "switchback", and the lights are not exclusive; they are wired for a dual element circuit where the turn signals illuminate on top of the running lights. 

Worst case, I run them as running lights only.  Want to have the bike ready for the SERR so turn signal function is not essential. 

Thanks again and ride safe!