Author Topic: Thing that have kept me from taking a ride  (Read 1054 times)

SLK

• Global Moderator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 0
Thing that have kept me from taking a ride
« on: Jun 03, 2020, 07:30:03 pm »
Sometimes thing have a way of keeping us from riding .  Such as here in Northpole Alaska I face a long season of snow and ice covered roads.  But sometimes other things can keep us from taking a ride.  Such thing have happened to me in the past 2 month.  I have gone to the garage opened the door and backed the Raider out and started it up only to have to immediately turn It off and abandon the ride.  Here is the list of what has temporarily delayed me from taking the ride and immediately going back into the house.  1. Very fast roll in of clouds that sent out thunder and lightening and a cloud burst.  Now I know many may have experience that but here are some odd things. 2. A large Alaskan lynx decided to stop and sit at the door of the drive way.  3. A cow moose with her twin calves decided to block the end of the driveway and Not let me pass.  4.  The scariest that happened was a bear cub entered the drive way and mama made it clear I was not going to get close. 
« Last Edit: Jun 03, 2020, 07:32:20 pm by SLK »
SLK   I ride a Yamaha because I prefer to ride the best

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

Fiddles

• SEA-ROAR
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 1
    Re: Thing that have kept me from taking a ride
    « Reply #1 on: Jun 04, 2020, 05:18:15 am »
    Sometimes thing have a way of keeping us from riding .  Such as here in Northpole Alaska I face a long season of snow and ice covered roads.  But sometimes other things can keep us from taking a ride.  Such thing have happened to me in the past 2 month.  I have gone to the garage opened the door and backed the Raider out and started it up only to have to immediately turn It off and abandon the ride.  Here is the list of what has temporarily delayed me from taking the ride and immediately going back into the house.  1. Very fast roll in of clouds that sent out thunder and lightening and a cloud burst.  Now I know many may have experience that but here are some odd things. 2. A large Alaskan lynx decided to stop and sit at the door of the drive way.  3. A cow moose with her twin calves decided to block the end of the driveway and Not let me pass.  4.  The scariest that happened was a bear cub entered the drive way and mama made it clear I was not going to get close.
    cant do anything about the weather but a large caliber rifle will easily handle the others
    V&H 2into1, Bullet cowl, Full Wrap front Fender, Ultimate  seat, Barons Tach, lowering bones and progressive spring, Ivan's flash, K&N filter with open air box, Avon Cobra Chrome  tires

Zekester

• Road Star
    « Reply #2 on: Jun 04, 2020, 05:53:35 am »
     :thumbs:
    Zeke
    USMC
    1971-1973
    2012 SCL #8

• Advertisement

Dark Matter

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #3 on: Jun 04, 2020, 07:32:56 am »
      cant do anything about the weather but a large caliber rifle will easily handle the others

Yeah, one shot in the air might scare them away.
      The Star Cruiser “Dark Matter”; named in recognition of the attractive force theorized to exist as an explanation of balance in the universe.

“…if you can make beer in space, life in space will be possible… it is a shortage of beer in space that is holding back further space exploration.”  Dr Walsh 2009

dreadly

• living the dream
      • Global Moderator
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 1
      « Reply #4 on: Jun 04, 2020, 07:54:32 am »

:cheers:

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 7
      « Reply #5 on: Jun 04, 2020, 02:48:16 pm »
      I'm thinking just revving up the Raider would be enough to make them turn the other direction.

dukedomain

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #6 on: Jun 04, 2020, 06:32:41 pm »

I was kinda thinking a well placed shot through the shoulder exploding impact side lung then the heart Then exit side lung. Of course skinning and butchering would keep you from riding too, so what would that accomplish?

Dark Matter

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #7 on: Jun 05, 2020, 07:47:10 am »

I was kinda thinking a well placed shot through the shoulder exploding impact side lung then the heart Then exit side lung. Of course skinning and butchering would keep you from riding too, so what would that accomplish?

Yeah, like I said before, "you guys are tough".  8)
      The Star Cruiser “Dark Matter”; named in recognition of the attractive force theorized to exist as an explanation of balance in the universe.

“…if you can make beer in space, life in space will be possible… it is a shortage of beer in space that is holding back further space exploration.”  Dr Walsh 2009

Lulu

• Road Star
      « Reply #8 on: Jun 05, 2020, 08:46:48 pm »
      If I would have heart of these type of excuses earlier. They might have prevented me riding since 6 days and close to 3k mi through the NE of this beautiful country. Coming from Indiana all those curvy and hilly roads in PA and surrounding states are so exhausting. My wife asked for some wind therapy and she did not accept my pussy excuses. Hats down you guys are taff.
      Has anyone tried to smoke bear meat?
      Cheers

SLK

• Global Moderator
      • Raider
      « Reply #9 on: Jun 18, 2020, 02:53:11 pm »
      Shooting moose and bears with offspring is strictly illegal year round unless they have actually charged you, even then the law here requires that you have proof of harm or injury.  Moose and bears have been known to  charge when shots are fired.  Up here bears consider gunshots to be dinner bells.  Sometimes revving an engine will make them move but most of the time they ignore it.  So cyclist generally wait it out or turn and go back. 
      « Last Edit: Jun 18, 2020, 02:56:56 pm by SLK »

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      « Reply #10 on: Jun 18, 2020, 03:22:34 pm »
      Shooting moose and bears with offspring is strictly illegal year round unless they have actually charged you, even then the law here requires that you have proof of harm or injury.  Moose and bears have been known to  charge when shots are fired.  Up here bears consider gunshots to be dinner bells.  Sometimes revving an engine will make them move but most of the time they ignore it.  So cyclist generally wait it out or turn and go back.

Isn't it a bit too late if you have proof of injury?

dukedomain

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #11 on: Jun 18, 2020, 06:54:55 pm »

I would not take my children bear hunting.

SLK

• Global Moderator
      • Raider
      « Reply #12 on: Jun 25, 2020, 03:07:20 am »

Yes, it is.  But up here feds are heavily involved in hunting as most bear hunting takes place on federal land.  As we all know feds are not known for being smart.  I have several friends who have been attacked, and one lost his leg to a bear.  I have been charged by both moose and bear on my own property.  Fortunately I have been able to avoid injury and having to kill them.  I never leave my house without a weapon in case I have to kill in defense of life and limb. 

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      « Reply #13 on: Jun 25, 2020, 11:25:34 am »

Yes, it is.  But up here feds are heavily involved in hunting as most bear hunting takes place on federal land.  As we all know feds are not known for being smart.  I have several friends who have been attacked, and one lost his leg to a bear.  I have been charged by both moose and bear on my own property.  Fortunately I have been able to avoid injury and having to kill them.  I never leave my house without a weapon in case I have to kill in defense of life and limb.

This does not sound like an area to raise small children or have pets.

In AZ most properties have walls around the perimeter of the property. It keeps things like coyotes out.  I am guessing this is not the case in AK.

SLK

• Global Moderator
      • Raider
      « Reply #14 on: Jun 25, 2020, 11:55:35 pm »

This does not sound like an area to raise small children or have pets.

In AZ most properties have walls around the perimeter of the property. It keeps things like coyotes out.  I am guessing this is not the case in AK.

There are a few pets in our area and lots of sled dogs. As far as children most people have dogs for that reason.  Most dogs are generally brave enough or dumb enough to take on moose and bear.  It gives kids a chance to get inside.  A lot of parents also keep a gun handy and an eye on the kids when they are out.  Most bears if given a chance will back off after a fake charge to protect their young.   It once shot they become agressive if only wounded.  Moose have been known to stomp people  when either injured or when they are protecting their young.  More than once I have been within 20 ft of a moose and 50 feet of a bear.  In all situations like that I immediately had the gun ready made noise and talked to the animal while backing away. 

As far as walls it is kind of hard and extremely expensive to build walls that surround almost 4 acres In the land of permafrost and daily earth quakes.  The foundations of our houses cost almost as much as the rest of the house.  My house sits on a 3 foot thick compacted gravel pad then has eight 3 ft thick 4 ft across sunken pillars with a 18 inch thick 3ft high perimeter foundation made in a single pour of the concrete Plus 2 more 2 ft thick 4x4 concrete pads carrying a 6x12 thirty foot center beam on the gravel pad.  We experience minor earth quakes almost daily ranging from .7 to 1.5 on the Richter scale. 
      « Last Edit: Jun 26, 2020, 12:08:22 am by SLK »