Author Topic: Thing that have kept me from taking a ride  (Read 1050 times)

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 7
Re: Thing that have kept me from taking a ride
« Reply #15 on: Jun 26, 2020, 09:45:39 am »
Did you ever think maybe Alaska isn't supposed to be inhabited by people?

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

xmanrigger

• Roadliner
    • Referrals: 0
    « Reply #16 on: Jun 26, 2020, 11:19:35 am »
    Sometimes thing have a way of keeping us from riding .  Such as here in Northpole Alaska I face a long season of snow and ice covered roads.  But sometimes other things can keep us from taking a ride.  Such thing have happened to me in the past 2 month.  I have gone to the garage opened the door and backed the Raider out and started it up only to have to immediately turn It off and abandon the ride.  Here is the list of what has temporarily delayed me from taking the ride and immediately going back into the house.  1. Very fast roll in of clouds that sent out thunder and lightening and a cloud burst.  Now I know many may have experience that but here are some odd things. 2. A large Alaskan lynx decided to stop and sit at the door of the drive way.  3. A cow moose with her twin calves decided to block the end of the driveway and Not let me pass.  4.  The scariest that happened was a bear cub entered the drive way and mama made it clear I was not going to get close.
    cant do anything about the weather but a large caliber rifle will easily handle the others

Yeah, one shot in the air might scare them away.
    I was kinda thinking a well placed shot through the shoulder exploding impact side lung then the heart Then exit side lung. Of course skinning and butchering would keep you from riding too, so what would that accomplish?

It would accomplish a freezer full of meat.  :D

2012 Raider / V&H Big Radius 2-1 / Cobra Fi2000 DFP / Baron Stealth Big Air / Avon AV72 Cobra Rear Tire /

SLK

• Global Moderator
    • Raider
    « Reply #17 on: Jun 27, 2020, 01:30:06 am »

Some feel that way, but if you are a person who likes snow, hunting big game and having adventures like seeing the northern lights at midnight, taking dog sled rides, hunting moose, caribou, mountain goats, big horn sheep, black bear, and grizzly bear, riding a motorcycle at midnight with the sun still in the sky, white water rafting, snow machining under those northern lights, plus seeing moose, bears, wolves, arctic foxes, bald headed eagles, grouse, snowy owls, large snow shoe hares, lynx, geese, ducks and ravens while sitting in your easy chair sipping a cup of hot coffee then Alaska is Heaven.  An added bonus is we have very few spiders, no snakes no other bothersome reptiles and the worlds smallest frog with the loudest croak to lull us asleep in the summer. 
    « Last Edit: Jun 27, 2020, 01:34:27 am by SLK »
    SLK   I ride a Yamaha because I prefer to ride the best

• Advertisement

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 19
      « Reply #18 on: Jun 27, 2020, 06:54:00 am »

Some feel that way, but if you are a person who likes snow, hunting big game and having adventures like seeing the northern lights at midnight, taking dog sled rides, hunting moose, caribou, mountain goats, big horn sheep, black bear, and grizzly bear, riding a motorcycle at midnight with the sun still in the sky, white water rafting, snow machining under those northern lights, plus seeing moose, bears, wolves, arctic foxes, bald headed eagles, grouse, snowy owls, large snow shoe hares, lynx, geese, ducks and ravens while sitting in your easy chair sipping a cup of hot coffee then Alaska is Heaven.  An added bonus is we have very few spiders, no snakes no other bothersome reptiles and the worlds smallest frog with the loudest croak to lull us asleep in the summer.

Fiddles

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 1
      « Reply #19 on: Jun 27, 2020, 08:08:35 am »

sounds like a great place except for the Cold!
      V&H 2into1, Bullet cowl, Full Wrap front Fender, Ultimate  seat, Barons Tach, lowering bones and progressive spring, Ivan's flash, K&N filter with open air box, Avon Cobra Chrome  tires

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      « Reply #20 on: Jun 27, 2020, 11:28:06 am »

The only thing you mentioned that has any appeal to me that I can't have is the Northern lights.  I don't hunt and have a hard time understanding how you can enjoy watching these creatures while sipping coffee and relaxing and then turn around an want to kill them. No thanks!  24 hours daylight has zero appeal.  I don't sleep well enough as it is and don't want to have special window coverings to keep my house dark.  Not being able to do things outside because it's dark for 6 months has zero appeal.

We live in a rural enough area that we have coyotes, rabbits, ground squirrels, hawks, ducks, geese, ravens, owls all around and in the neighborhoods. My boss watched a bald eagle catch a smaller bird in mid air outside our office in North Scottsdale and then land on the ledge outside his office and tear it apart and eat it, so we get our share of nature.

Plus we have this thing called the sun that makes you feel warm and allows women to wear very little clothing, which is a definite bonus.  I had a buddy come by yesterday to drop something off and I was in nothing but shorts and told him this was my work attire.  His response "Nice!".

And when was the last time you went white water rafting???

BorderlandBiker

• "Trust in God, no fear..." INDIAN LARRY
      • Road Star
      « Reply #21 on: Jun 27, 2020, 10:05:43 pm »
      California has allowed restaurants to open again but with 'conditions' (masks required and social distancing) WASH YOUR HANDS!...At 77 I have to make sure I make myself the 'smallest' target I can for the virus. Sooooooooo off I go on my 2016 Raider just a puttin' along across the Salinas Valley, over the hills and down Carmel Valley Road to the Baja Cantina (a great Mexican restaurant near the mouth of the Carmel Valley)...My wife and I have ordered 'take out' and I'm careful to pack it in my  backpack so it's not mixed all together when I get back home...we'll reheat it...Great ride, good weather (except for the FOG just waiting to come inland) PEACE  O8O RIDE SAFE P.S. I just realized I should have said ALMOST kept me from taking a ride...my bad
      « Last Edit: Jun 27, 2020, 10:09:49 pm by BorderlandBiker »

SLK

• Global Moderator
      • Raider
      « Reply #22 on: Jun 28, 2020, 03:07:58 am »
      Ares, I started hunting as a kid out of necessity.  My father passed away when I was 4 and my mother had to work and as it was she working for a pittance.  If we wanted meat we either got bologna or what family would give us.  My family was a hunting family and we got wild meat.  So I learned to hunt to put meat on the table.  Later it became a necessity again, when I was working and could afford to buy domestic meat I had horrible reactions and it turned out that I am allergic to domestic grain and grain fed domestic meat.  I am also allergic to wild game that has eaten domestic grain.  I have no problem with killing game to eat meat and still can enjoy watching wild animals.  As For the 24 hours of light we have window shades that are very effective at making it dark.  In winter with less than 3 hours of daylight we also have lamps that produce the equivalent of sunlight. 

We also have gals who wear bikinis and I wear shorts in the summer.  We do get temps in the 90s in summer.  I go white water rafting on the  Nenana and Chatanika River, the last time was last summer in July.  Am planning another trip for this July.  We have non white water rafting trips as well. Those generally cover about 36 miles in a 4 hour time period as we have a lot of swift rivers up here. 
      « Last Edit: Jun 28, 2020, 03:16:50 am by SLK »

SLK

• Global Moderator
      • Raider
      « Reply #23 on: Jun 28, 2020, 03:22:58 am »

We get acclimated and when spring break up arrives with temps in the high 30s and low 40s we are running around nearly naked sweating something fierce.  Convertibles have their tops down and motorcycles Are everywhere. 

A.T.

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #24 on: Jun 28, 2020, 08:31:00 am »

We get acclimated and when spring break up arrives with temps in the high 30s and low 40s we are running around nearly naked sweating something fierce.  Convertibles have their tops down and motorcycles Are everywhere.

Was stationed at Clear AB south of Nenana from '96 to '97, and I loved AK.  The year round outdoor activities were awesome - I remember playing golf at 2am at Ft Wainright.  I'd be living there if I could get the wife to agree.  But damn the mosquitoes were awful! 

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      « Reply #25 on: Jun 28, 2020, 10:31:39 am »
      Ares, I started hunting as a kid out of necessity.  My father passed away when I was 4 and my mother had to work and as it was she working for a pittance.  If we wanted meat we either got bologna or what family would give us.  My family was a hunting family and we got wild meat.  So I learned to hunt to put meat on the table.  Later it became a necessity again, when I was working and could afford to buy domestic meat I had horrible reactions and it turned out that I am allergic to domestic grain and grain fed domestic meat.  I am also allergic to wild game that has eaten domestic grain.  I have no problem with killing game to eat meat and still can enjoy watching wild animals.  As For the 24 hours of light we have window shades that are very effective at making it dark.  In winter with less than 3 hours of daylight we also have lamps that produce the equivalent of sunlight. 

We also have gals who wear bikinis and I wear shorts in the summer.  We do get temps in the 90s in summer.  I go white water rafting on the  Nenana and Chatanika River, the last time was last summer in July.  Am planning another trip for this July.  We have non white water rafting trips as well. Those generally cover about 36 miles in a 4 hour time period as we have a lot of swift rivers up here.

Fair enough on the hunting.  I do get it if it's out of necessity. I would do the same.

I was not expecting you to say you've been rafting recently. I'm impressed.

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 19
      « Reply #26 on: Jun 28, 2020, 11:12:17 am »

I've been to Homer 6 times - the first time I went was the first of July 2004 - landed in Anchorage when I got to the car rental the girl said I'll bring your car around front - when I went out to get in it she said "I've got the AC blasting due to the heat" "How hot is it?" I asked "It's 72" - I laughed then thanked her when I boarded the plane that morning in FL it was 92 with a high of 99.