Author Topic: Helmet talk...  (Read 3112 times)

padrummer1

• V Star
  • Referrals: 0
Helmet talk...
« on: Jun 05, 2020, 11:30:08 am »
Its pretty much an accessory

What kind of helmet do you wear?

Skull cap?
Full face?
Three quarter?
None at all?

I wear two by Voss a three quarter and a skull cap

What about you?

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

padrummer1

• V Star
    Re: Helmet talk...
    « Reply #1 on: Jun 05, 2020, 11:44:38 am »
    I'm really digging the new Bell Rogue helmet.

Dirtiegirtie

• Road Star
    « Reply #2 on: Jun 05, 2020, 11:47:10 am »
    I have a 1/2 helmet I bought at Walmart... hate it. Never wear it. I think I look like a Spaceballs character in it because it feels so large. Not fit, but the thickness of the padding is such that the shell is really oversized for my size head. Also, having seen the benefit of having a full face helmet on during an accident, it's always in the back of my head that wearing it feels somehow irresponsible on my part. I know many of you probably wear these tiny skull caps, I've just never been comfortable (I mean mentally, not physically) in one. I'm sure I'll get board in another year or two and will try again with another helmet.

I have a 3/4 helmet I wear whenever it's warm. Folks either say it reminds them of Captain America, Evil Kanevil, or the motorcycle in Easy Rider. It's this helmet but with plain black padding. I think I paid $65 for it a few years back.
    https://www.amazon.com/TORC-Route-Helmet-Rebel-Graphic/dp/B008D8I652/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=vintage+3%2F4+helmet&qid=1591375028&sr=8-4

When it's chilly in the mornings I wear a Bell modular helmet. I like being able to open the front face. Very comfortable, very secure, but I MUST wear ear plugs with it as the exhaust note rattles around in the helmet and is somehow amplified.
    https://www.amazon.com/Bell-Revolver-Modular-Motorcycle-Helmet/dp/B016NIDULS/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=bell%2Bmodular%2Bhelmet&qid=1591375240&sr=8-3&th=1

I've been eyeing up the hjc is-33 ii helmet. Someone gave it VERY high remarks on another forum.

• Advertisement

padrummer1

• V Star
      « Reply #3 on: Jun 05, 2020, 11:54:59 am »
      I have a 1/2 helmet I bought at Walmart... hate it. Never wear it. I think I look like a Spaceballs character in it because it feels so large. Not fit, but the thickness of the padding is such that the shell is really oversized for my size head. Also, having seen the benefit of having a full face helmet on during an accident, it's always in the back of my head that wearing it feels somehow irresponsible on my part. I know many of you probably wear these tiny skull caps, I've just never been comfortable (I mean mentally, not physically) in one. I'm sure I'll get board in another year or two and will try again with another helmet.

I have a 3/4 helmet I wear whenever it's warm. Folks either say it reminds them of Captain America, Evil Kanevil, or the motorcycle in Easy Rider. It's this helmet but with plain black padding. I think I paid $65 for it a few years back.
      https://www.amazon.com/TORC-Route-Helmet-Rebel-Graphic/dp/B008D8I652/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=vintage+3%2F4+helmet&qid=1591375028&sr=8-4

When it's chilly in the mornings I wear a Bell modular helmet. I like being able to open the front face. Very comfortable, very secure, but I MUST wear ear plugs with it as the exhaust note rattles around in the helmet and is somehow amplified.
      https://www.amazon.com/Bell-Revolver-Modular-Motorcycle-Helmet/dp/B016NIDULS/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=bell%2Bmodular%2Bhelmet&qid=1591375240&sr=8-3&th=1

I've been eyeing up the hjc is-33 ii helmet. Someone gave it VERY high remarks on another forum.

Thanks for your input!
      As a sportbike rider for years, I am used to wearing a full face. I bought the voss cap first and then went back for the 3/4 helmet. I thought I liked it but its really not breaking in the way I had hoped and is very tight on my chin. I wear between a 2x and 3x

big red raider

• V Star
      « Reply #4 on: Jun 05, 2020, 12:10:57 pm »
      I use the HJC is ii helmet all the time. I am used to wearing helmets as I too rode  mostly sport bikes. It very versatile and mine also  has the removable chin guard. It does have a lot of nice features.

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 7
      « Reply #5 on: Jun 05, 2020, 12:32:23 pm »

That's my helmet.  I love it!  I used to wear a full-face helmet and I felt so confined. This one gives me good protection and still lets me get the wind (and all the grime) on my face.  Plus it's just bad ass looking!
      « Last Edit: Jun 05, 2020, 12:34:30 pm by Ares X »

padrummer1

• V Star
      « Reply #6 on: Jun 05, 2020, 02:27:40 pm »

That's my helmet.  I love it!  I used to wear a full-face helmet and I felt so confined. This one gives me good protection and still lets me get the wind (and all the grime) on my face.  Plus it's just bad ass looking!
      I plan on getting one but right now everywhere around that would have one in stock is shut down or not allowing you to try anything so I'm kind of stuck. Being that they only take it to a 2x may or may not be an issue for me. I see that revzilla offers free shipping and free returns but I'm not sure I want to go through that hassle in case it doesn't work out.

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 7
      « Reply #7 on: Jun 05, 2020, 03:30:04 pm »

I plan on getting one but right now everywhere around that would have one in stock is shut down or not allowing you to try anything so I'm kind of stuck. Being that they only take it to a 2x may or may not be an issue for me. I see that revzilla offers free shipping and free returns but I'm not sure I want to go through that hassle in case it doesn't work out.

Amazon has free shipping and free returns for Prime members and if you've never done, it's super easy. 

Lulu

• Road Star
      « Reply #8 on: Jun 05, 2020, 09:00:28 pm »
      I’m from Germany and we have very strict safety regulations for motorcyclists. Having said this my view is probably extreme.
      I do admit that there Are certain conditions like high temps or humidity which makes wearing safety gear painful and anything you actually wear is better than nothing. BUT:
      Ask yourself what’s your priority with wearing a helmet. Safety first, noise & wind protection, better communication or compliance with state laws? In case it’s safety there is nothing better than a full face helmet.
      Just my two cents

TRaider_John

• Patriot Guard Rider
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 5
      « Reply #9 on: Jun 05, 2020, 11:20:00 pm »
      I wear a full-face all the time.  I was wearing a full-face when  had my accident.  I have reasons to like a full-face. 

Sgt Fury

• 2012 Raider SCL #188
      • Roadliner
      • Referrals: 1
      « Reply #10 on: Jun 06, 2020, 01:27:30 am »
      Have multiple 3/4 helmets with face shields even though I have a windshield.  My full-face had only been worn 3-4 times over the years.  It always seemed visually confining and hot in some cases.  Got rid of it due to its age and declining liner.  The 3/4's seem protective enough and adequately cut down road noise. My favorite one had two tiny adjustable air vents on top.  My skull cap was OK for "putting" around town or a short errand, but the street noise was usually annoying after a short time, plus I never felt secure wearing it.  And yes, I tangled with a car at an intersection years ago wearing a 3/4 helmet.  It's all a matter of personal choice of risk.  I rode bikes when living in Hawaii and Arizona frequently wearing shorts and tee shirts (plus a helmet).  Can't say I'd do that anymore.  Road rash is a terrible thing!!     :yikes:   O8O
      « Last Edit: Jun 06, 2020, 01:39:04 am by Sgt Fury »

There's no substitute for cubic inches and a good engine management system!   Hmmm, well maybe a blower, NOS or turbo....

FireNative

• Roadliner
      « Reply #11 on: Jun 06, 2020, 12:45:23 pm »
      I have a turtle shell, 3/4, and a modular helmet. 99% of the time I use my Torc T28B modular as I love the Bluetooth, the interior sun visor, and the fact I can open the face to go in the store and get a drink without taking my helmet off. LOVE the helmet. I will probably get a backup one. Got it from Amazon for $230.

1) matte and glossy black or sliver in 6 different sizes
      https://www.amazon.com/TORC-Unisex-Adult-Full-face-Integrated-Motorcycle/dp/B07MWY2LX7/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=Torc%2Bt28b&qid=1591465468&sr=8-1-spons&smid=A1AFEXKHYDIQKU&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzMFdDOVpVNVRRUkVGJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNzY1NjUwM0lRNk1PRjk1TFhSSyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUExMDQ3MTg4MjNWQzc3NUlESEE3NyZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU&th=1

2) with different graphics and colors
      https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Torc+t28b&ref=nb_sb_noss_2
      « Last Edit: Jun 06, 2020, 12:51:40 pm by FireNative »

Braveheart123

• Road Star
      « Reply #12 on: Jun 07, 2020, 02:06:52 pm »
      I’m from Germany and we have very strict safety regulations for motorcyclists. Having said this my view is probably extreme.
      I do admit that there Are certain conditions like high temps or humidity which makes wearing safety gear painful and anything you actually wear is better than nothing. BUT:
      Ask yourself what’s your priority with wearing a helmet. Safety first, noise & wind protection, better communication or compliance with state laws? In case it’s safety there is nothing better than a full face helmet.
      Just my two cents

Very true. I wear Schuberth C3 Pro. A bit pricey but worth every penny. Ticks all the boxes in terms of safety, wind noise, comfort, ease of wearing and taking off coz of modular design
      History is written by those who have hanged heroes!!!

Sgt Fury

• 2012 Raider SCL #188
      • Roadliner
      « Reply #13 on: Jun 07, 2020, 09:32:34 pm »
      Just my two cents

Very true. I wear Schuberth C3 Pro. A bit pricey but worth every penny. Ticks all the boxes in terms of safety, wind noise, comfort, ease of wearing and taking off coz of modular design

Smart, indeed guys!!   

There's no substitute for cubic inches and a good engine management system!   Hmmm, well maybe a blower, NOS or turbo....

Litos

• Warrior
      « Reply #14 on: Jun 07, 2020, 10:00:27 pm »
      First helmet when I had my Raider was a basic half helmet

It was cool, but I had to wear ear plugs or ear buds, for obvious reasons - on long trips, it was brutal

Second helmet is my Bell Qualifier "Devil May Care" MIPS...really really good visibility, but it's loud AF because it sounds like a damn wind tunnel...but probably the safest > $300 on the market...

Third helmet is a Cafe Racer 3/4 helmet with face mask/goggles combo - super lightweight, super quiet, but it's not the safest helmet out there...

...and my Predator helmet that I've worn twice...

It's not great at all for anything other than short trips under 5 miles and under 50mph - it drags at high speeds and you CAN'T SEE SH1T out of it because the visibility is trash lol

it's actually a German Hizer DOT & ECE certified open face helmet, with the custom Predator mold on top...

amazing display piece though
      « Last Edit: Jun 07, 2020, 10:02:28 pm by Litos »
      Ivan ECU Club - Ivan Custom PC Map Club - LA Choppers Club - PCS Club - 240 Club - Custom LED Club - SAC Club - Custom Paint Whore - Red Rim Club Member