Author Topic: Could I be any more if a complete idiot?  (Read 705 times)

BassGtrMan777

• V Star
  • Referrals: 0
Could I be any more if a complete idiot?
« on: Jun 13, 2020, 10:49:34 am »
Hi everyone, just joined the form recently.  I have a 2014 Raider S, bought new back in spring of 2018.  Have 2k miles on it, just now getting to changing the oil - I know I know, should have been done at 600 miles.  So I went to remove the bolt farthest toward the front of the bike, one of the 2 crankshaft bolts, and stupid as I am, I ending tightening the bolt even more - so long story short, the threads in the crankshaft housing are stripped on that bolt hole, so now I have an 800lb paperweight.  I was on the right side of the bike, underneath, when I tried to remove the bolt, so I was oriented backwards to the bolt, which I guess is why in my stupor I was turning the bolt the wrong way.  It is what it is.  Any thoughts on what would have to be done to fix it?  I can't call the shop here until Monday when they are open.  Seems like either a re-tap of the threads, or replacing the housing, neither of which sounds cheap, especially given the location of that bolt.

Thanks!
Eric

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

BassGtrMan777

• V Star
    Re: Could I be any more of a complete idiot?
    « Reply #1 on: Jun 13, 2020, 10:51:08 am »
    Sheesh, can't even get the topic correct -misspelled something.  This is just not my day...

RangerRick

• Raider
    • Referrals: 1
    Re: Could I be any more if a complete idiot?
    « Reply #2 on: Jun 13, 2020, 11:39:51 am »
    go to the search function and enter Stripped drain plug you will find post regarding that issue.
    2009 Raider XV19CYS
    ANG Member 25 years
    Retired Aug. 1, 2010

• Advertisement

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 19
      « Reply #3 on: Jun 13, 2020, 12:06:00 pm »
      Your shop should be able to do a helicoil repair - I'd let them do it that if you have issues later on its on them.

BassGtrMan777

• V Star
      « Reply #4 on: Jun 13, 2020, 03:37:53 pm »
      Thanks for the replies - I called one local shop here, guys said they would not even touch it.  Called dealer where I bought it in Ohio, said they've seen it before, will re-tap the threads, so may end up going that route.

sundancer87

• Road Star
      « Reply #5 on: Jun 13, 2020, 03:41:44 pm »
      The guys that wouldn't touch it are parts replacers, not mechanics.  But I bet they have certifications though.

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #6 on: Jun 13, 2020, 04:18:39 pm »
      Thanks for the replies - I called one local shop here, guys said they would not even touch it.  Called dealer where I bought it in Ohio, said they've seen it before, will re-tap the threads, so may end up going that route.
      I'd make a point of staying away from the shop that said they wouldn't even touch it - the other shop that has done it before is where I'd go.
      And remember no matter how you approach a bolt - righty tighty - lefty loosey  ;)

Dudeman

• SEA-ROAR
      • Warrior
      « Reply #7 on: Jun 15, 2020, 07:32:24 am »
      I'd make a point of staying away from the shop that said they wouldn't even touch it - the other shop that has done it before is where I'd go.
      And remember no matter how you approach a bolt - righty tighty - lefty loosey  ;)

That is MOSTLY true. I was given a string trimmer and needed to put some string in it. I tried my damnedest to get that thing off. Little did I know that if the parts are red it's left hand threads. I finally got it off but mushroomed the end of the shaft and had to file it down so I could get it back together. Damned left-handed bolts.
      Sent from my TRS-80 using BASIC

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #8 on: Jun 15, 2020, 10:53:05 am »

That is MOSTLY true. I was given a string trimmer and needed to put some string in it. I tried my damnedest to get that thing off. Little did I know that if the parts are red it's left hand threads. I finally got it off but mushroomed the end of the shaft and had to file it down so I could get it back together. Damned left-handed bolts.
      To add to that the Raider shift linkage has a left hand nut on one end and right hand nut on the other - if I remember correctly the left mirror has a left hand nut on i also.

sundancer87

• Road Star
      « Reply #9 on: Jun 15, 2020, 11:21:36 am »
      The throttle mirror is left handed as indicated by the cuts in the nut's shoulders.

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 7
      « Reply #10 on: Jun 15, 2020, 01:07:05 pm »
      Not my mirror.  I thread through the bottom.

BassGtrMan777

• V Star
      « Reply #11 on: Jun 16, 2020, 03:46:57 pm »
      It's easy to forget about righty-tighty, lefty-loosey when you're oriented on the backside of the bolt.  From that perspective, I was doing lefty-loosey.  Believe me, I've beat myself up over and over about this.  Called some more local shops today, one guy was saying the motor would likely need to come out, and to do the job "right", that crankshaft housing component that the bolt threads into should be replaced.  He was cautioning me about tapping new threads, where shavings could get into the crankshaft and potentially cause even worse trouble if they got up onto the cylinder walls.  Seems to make sense to me, but, maybe he sees $$ in that kind of a job.  Can't believe I have an 800lb paper weight at the moment.  And of course the weather has been fantastic   :(

A.T.

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #12 on: Jun 16, 2020, 05:43:24 pm »
      It's easy to forget about righty-tighty, lefty-loosey when you're oriented on the backside of the bolt.  From that perspective, I was doing lefty-loosey.  Believe me, I've beat myself up over and over about this.  Called some more local shops today, one guy was saying the motor would likely need to come out, and to do the job "right", that crankshaft housing component that the bolt threads into should be replaced.  He was cautioning me about tapping new threads, where shavings could get into the crankshaft and potentially cause even worse trouble if they got up onto the cylinder walls.  Seems to make sense to me, but, maybe he sees $$ in that kind of a job.  Can't believe I have an 800lb paper weight at the moment.  And of course the weather has been fantastic   :(

I don't know whether the engine would have to come out but the secret to preventing tap shavings, etc, from getting into bad places is to use grease on the tap.  Put the grease between the flutes so when the teeth cut, the particles transfer to the grease (old mech trick).

I think I'd come up with a stubby tap first before pulling the engine.

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #13 on: Jun 16, 2020, 06:27:42 pm »
      There's been a couple of people on here that have done the same thing and did the Helicoil with no issue - I think one guy found an expanding plug - kind of like a transom plug on a boat and said it worked.

sundancer87

• Road Star
      « Reply #14 on: Jun 16, 2020, 06:32:03 pm »
      That's right A.T., I've installed many Heli-coils in spark plug threads while in place by simply packing heavy grease in the tap's flutes.  Be a mechanic or be someone out for the buck.