Author Topic: New color  (Read 1363 times)

Dirtiegirtie

• Road Star
  • Referrals: 0
New color
« on: Jun 19, 2020, 09:45:15 am »
I was hoping to paint my Raider next winter, aiming for a classic Yamaha yellow paint scheme like this:

I've been buying the pieces and decided to get started... I bought a tank off of ebay for $160 delivered. It had gone down and had a soft-ball sized dent on the left side (the side in the picture) but was otherwise perfect. It was a good opportunity for me to work on my body work skills. It came out pretty good! But I ended up seeing a color other than yellow that I fell in love with... Burnt Copper. "Metal Specks Burnt Copper" to be exact. When I sprayed it (rattle can) there were metal specks fluttering all around me in the air. It's supposed to be BEYOND metallic... and it seems to be! Anyways, this is where I'm at:

I'm still waiting on my fiberglass front fender to be delivered, I have to wet sand and recoat everything several times, and then clear coat with Spraymax 2K (2 part clear coat in a can... very cool stuff, but in case you want to do the same... it's VERY dangerous stuff. There is a reason pros use real respirators when painting).

Things I'm still not sure of:
  1. Should I go with Glossy, Semi-matte, or matte clear coat?
  2. The side covers under the seat; should I paint them the same color, paint them black, or try to vinyl wrap them in black carbon fiber (which will match the '113' and stripping I plan on having the main bike). I've never actually done a vinyl wrap so I'm kinda scared.  :-[

Stay tuned!

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

Ares X

• Administrator
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 7
    Re: New color
    « Reply #1 on: Jun 19, 2020, 11:36:06 am »
    If you clear coat in matte you're going to lose the "BEYOND metallic" look.  But I am always a fan of matte finishes on vehicles. 

I would also say to accenting it with black would be cool, but if you're already doing carbon fiber, it may be too many different things going on.

have you considered hydrodipping in a carbon fiber design? Not sure how expensive it is to have done or to attempt to do it yourself.

Dirtiegirtie

• Road Star
    « Reply #2 on: Jun 19, 2020, 12:15:49 pm »
    If you clear coat in matte you're going to lose the "BEYOND metallic" look.  But I am always a fan of matte finishes on vehicles. 

I would also say to accenting it with black would be cool, but if you're already doing carbon fiber, it may be too many different things going on.

have you considered hydrodipping in a carbon fiber design? Not sure how expensive it is to have done or to attempt to do it yourself.

I have been dying to try hydrodipping... I always get scared of doing a large piece like a fender or tank as my first project. But giving it a go on the side covers... brilliant!!! Thanks for the idea!

Oh, and I think Kawasaki made a matte finish metalic version of the vulcan S a few years back. If you google "matte orange vulcan S" it will pop up. I think it's mettalic under the matte finish to give it the denim look, but not certain. My current plan is try for the gloss. If it doesn't come out as good as the last time I did it then I'll go over top with the matte... it should help hide imperfections in the gloss finish and eliminate the need to wetsand and cut/buff down the topcoat.

Hydrodip the side covers... why didn't I think of that!

• Advertisement

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      « Reply #3 on: Jun 19, 2020, 12:27:34 pm »
      Wow!  Yes, it does.

Please post up your experience with hydrodipping. I'm interested in it, but not ready to tackle the learning process yet.

Ron505

• SEA-ROAR Member
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 2
      « Reply #4 on: Jun 19, 2020, 01:23:22 pm »
      Looks good man.  Also interested in seeing your project progress.

That's a nice looking Cow!
      I refuse to tiptoe through life, only to arrive at death safely.

ZEUS67

• Road Star
      « Reply #5 on: Jun 19, 2020, 02:47:42 pm »
      If I'm not mistaken isn't one of the Raider SCL colors similar to the burnt orange?  I think it looks pretty good on her. I'm sad you're getting rid of the purple....love that purple!

Dirtiegirtie

• Road Star
      « Reply #6 on: Jun 20, 2020, 01:07:41 pm »
      If I'm not mistaken isn't one of the Raider SCL colors similar to the burnt orange?  I think it looks pretty good on her. I'm sad you're getting rid of the purple....love that purple!

I'm using new parts, so I can always go back to the original purple if need be. The rear fender was from a forum member, tank was a good deal on eBay (because of the dent) and I ordered a front fender off of eBay from Lithuania... A low and mean knock off. I bought my chin fairing from the same guy two years ago and it's still up pretty good.

I might try some wacky things with the hydro dipping side covers.

ZEUS67

• Road Star
      « Reply #7 on: Jun 20, 2020, 02:48:11 pm »
      If anyone can do it its you Dirtie.....I've seen your creative side and I'm envious of your skills and creativity. Still want to ride with you someday soon. Either orange or purple will look good next to my candy red with flames!  Keep us updated

Badbluraider

• Warrior
      « Reply #8 on: Jun 21, 2020, 08:49:33 pm »
      Not much on yellow these days but that's really cool! Original color of my first Yamaha's; MX80, YZ80 and YZ250. It pops ;D

Dirtiegirtie

• Road Star
      « Reply #9 on: Jul 04, 2020, 10:27:51 am »
      I was able to set up my temporary painting both this mroning and got three coats of clear coat on the parts. For the side panels and chin fairing I didn't want to go with the same color so I found a color called "Oil Rubbed Bronze"... it's almost a really dark grey but with a brown hue to it... so it should go pretty good with the orange. Anyways, the parts are dry to the touch now and will be curing for a few days...

I don't like blank tanks... I think they need something. I've been planning on just going with "113" in black vinyl this whole time, but now I'm second guessing it... mabye the tri-tuning fork logo for Yamaha followed by '113'? Or "Raider" followed by "113"? Not sure yet.

ZEUS67

• Road Star
      « Reply #10 on: Jul 04, 2020, 01:40:57 pm »
      I like the tribal flames I have on my tank. Not sure if that's something that could be done or something you would be looking to do. I think they would really stand out with your color

Sgt Fury

• 2012 Raider SCL #188
      • Road Star
      • Referrals: 1
      « Reply #11 on: Jul 05, 2020, 01:12:17 am »
      Those are both killer colors and show up well in the photos!  Cream, gold or other light-colored pinstripes would look good for a lighter touch, or even some not-too-heavy silver (or gold) ghost flames overlaid then clearcoated some more.   That metallic paint must really pop when out in the sun.  Love it!!   O8O
      « Last Edit: Jul 05, 2020, 01:27:06 am by Sgt Fury »

There's no substitute for cubic inches and a good engine management system!   Hmmm, well maybe a blower, NOS or turbo....

ZEUS67

• Road Star
      « Reply #12 on: Jul 05, 2020, 06:15:15 pm »
      I like your idea of ghost flames Sgt Fury.  Definitely would look awesome

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      « Reply #13 on: Jul 06, 2020, 09:37:09 am »
      Excellent paint job!!!

Dudeman

• SEA-ROAR
      • Warrior
      « Reply #14 on: Jul 06, 2020, 02:30:09 pm »
      Almost the same color as the 2011 Raider. They called it Copper.
      Sent from my TRS-80 using BASIC