Author Topic: Newbie question about an LED headlight  (Read 338 times)

713Raider

• V Star
  • Referrals: 0
Newbie question about an LED headlight
« on: Jun 22, 2020, 02:18:01 pm »
I just bought the daymaker style headlamp and bracket but I am curious about the load resistor. I have a Bluetooth amplifier connected to play music from my phone and I wasn't sure if I still needed to have load resistors connected to the headlamp. My concern is about the load resistors as I know they can get pretty toasty. Will I need the resistors with the amp hooked up?

thanks in advance

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

sundancer87

• Road Star
    Re: Newbie question about an LED headlight
    « Reply #1 on: Jun 22, 2020, 02:40:19 pm »
    The load resistors are used mainly for the turn signals to load the flasher with the appropriate resistance to make the flasher work at the normal flash rate.
    No resistor needed for the amplifier or the LED headlamp.

713Raider

• V Star
    « Reply #2 on: Jun 22, 2020, 03:21:11 pm »
    The load resistors are used mainly for the turn signals to load the flasher with the appropriate resistance to make the flasher work at the normal flash rate.
    No resistor needed for the amplifier or the LED headlamp.

Thanks sundancer87! No resistors were used for the amplifier and so far no stator growls.

• Advertisement

sundancer87

• Road Star
      « Reply #3 on: Jun 22, 2020, 03:28:49 pm »
      You may or may not get the stator growl with the headlamp.  I have it at idle using the Cyclops LED lamp but I don't worry about it since I don't sit and idle for long periods of time.

Mr Jones

• V Star
      « Reply #4 on: Jul 01, 2020, 12:21:39 pm »
      You may or may not get the stator growl with the headlamp.  I have it at idle using the Cyclops LED lamp but I don't worry about it since I don't sit and idle for long periods of time.

By chance I fitted an LED front light today and did get the stator growl. To over come it I fitted two heat sink resistors (one on the high circuit, the other on the low) and tucked them in the void behind the steering head. Sitting in there there’s nothing they can damage even if they get hot. All working perfectly now with no stator growl.
      Raider
      904 Bonneville
      XR1200

Mr Jones

• V Star
      « Reply #5 on: Jul 01, 2020, 05:24:14 pm »
      Just fitted these LED light sabres that will give you arc eyes if you look at them directly! Built in cooling fan and an easy mod to change from standard H4 to super bright LED. Like I said will need an additional resistor on hi and low circuits to stop stator growl at idle.  Way easier than changing your whole headlight.
      Raider
      904 Bonneville
      XR1200