Author Topic: Total Redesign  (Read 2311 times)

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 7
Re: Total Redesign
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2019, 11:13:03 am »
The extra fuel capacity is nice, but there is no way I would put a big tank on the back of my Raider like that.

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

Fasttimez

• Warrior
    • Referrals: 0
    « Reply #16 on: May 02, 2019, 12:48:42 pm »
    I actually think about this sometimes also. Wondering what it would look like making the tank about an inch or so wider on each side and a little on the top. A different gas cap could be put on as well.
    Much easier to mod the sub tank.....plus you don't have to worry about matching any kind of paint when it's done. 

Fasttimez

• Warrior
    « Reply #17 on: May 02, 2019, 12:52:27 pm »
    The extra fuel capacity is nice, but there is no way I would put a big tank on the back of my Raider like that.
    I'd be worried about the rear mounted tank rupturing in the event of an accident & now I'm covered in gasoline.....I can imagine myself as a fireball rolling around trying to put myself out......I'll pass on that one.  I believe the BMW Touring Enduro bikes come with almost a 9 gallon capacity stock.

• Advertisement

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 7
      « Reply #18 on: May 02, 2019, 02:09:06 pm »
      I'd be worried about the rear mounted tank rupturing in the event of an accident & now I'm covered in gasoline.....I can imagine myself as a fireball rolling around trying to put myself out......I'll pass on that one.  I believe the BMW Touring Enduro bikes come with almost a 9 gallon capacity stock.

Or what if you're hit from behind?  I'm with you on the expanded sub-tank.

Peter Pollock

• Raider
      « Reply #19 on: May 04, 2019, 09:39:23 pm »
      Re tank.  Yeah for sure, the Raider always needed a bigger tank. Easiest solution is to hire a custom Chopper guy to make you a larger tank. 

Battery ... just get a Shorei battery. Unbelievably good. You could enlarge the compartment space and put 2 shorei's side-by-side. But check Shorei wrb page, maybe theyve already got a high capacity model.

Good luck. Have fun. Post pix when it is done.

Why is a Boeing guy doing bike modifications now? Sounds like the kinda work i want to be doing. Haha!!  I am a partly-retired aerospace engineer. Tell the Boeing guy we should join forces. 

Cheers,
      Pete (dT)
      « Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 09:58:49 pm by distantThunder »

ernie

• Road Star
      • Referrals: 2
      « Reply #20 on: May 06, 2019, 09:12:23 am »
      Why are you guys talking about having it machined?  I thought most just swapped with a Strat pulley.
      I'm talking about a FRONT pulley.....nobody makes a front pulley for a Raider.  I'm getting one made that's 1 tooth less, which equals going up 3 on the rear pulley.  Best thing with a front pulley swap, no belt change needed at all, just use your stock belt.

I’m having a brain fart. I thought  “going up teeth on the rear” increased the RPM’s at speed, increasing the acceleration but not giving the benefit of lower RPM’s on the highway. 
      His Humble Servant
      ALR/PGR
      SFC, USA (RET)
      Tax Everyone

Fasttimez

• Warrior
      « Reply #21 on: May 06, 2019, 11:22:41 am »
      Why are you guys talking about having it machined?  I thought most just swapped with a Strat pulley.
      I'm talking about a FRONT pulley.....nobody makes a front pulley for a Raider.  I'm getting one made that's 1 tooth less, which equals going up 3 on the rear pulley.  Best thing with a front pulley swap, no belt change needed at all, just use your stock belt.

I’m having a brain fart. I thought  “going up teeth on the rear” increased the RPM’s at speed, increasing the acceleration but not giving the benefit of lower RPM’s on the highway.
      Correct, more acceleration & higher RPM at any given speed.  Hence my need for larger fuel capacity.

bacchus40

• Road Star
      « Reply #22 on: Jun 15, 2019, 04:28:29 pm »
      i see this is an active, recent thread.

add one more to the list.. i'm very much interested to hear where this goes.

years ago i read a thread which spoke of the exact same idea and apparently there even was a shop locally who did such work.

Unfortunately the trail kinda went dark and i have not managed to make any headway on the matter.

AS far as I have been informed, even at 3.9L the sub tank is not very well engineered in terms of space available.

I have had to move it once when working on the bike and had a look around a bit, i think you're on the right track OP!

in terms of the battery, i will just run a SHORAI as well.. i have one on my R1 and it rocks.!

please keep us updated on the progress.

bacchus40

• Road Star
      « Reply #23 on: Jun 15, 2019, 04:34:05 pm »

i had considered an external tank as well.. but it looks ugly. :D

Axeman35

• V Star
      « Reply #24 on: Aug 02, 2020, 06:25:15 pm »
      Love my raider, but I have to agree.
      The tank is way too small.
      It's a pain in the rear going on  a long ride and I don't to plumb in a tank from the rear.

I'm really interested to see where a new subtank design and new battery tray would go.
      I would pay ok money for this.