Author Topic: Oil change question  (Read 2756 times)

RaydarRatRace

• Road Star
  • Referrals: 0
Oil change question
« on: Jun 30, 2020, 08:36:50 pm »
Hi all,

Quick question.  I took the bike to a shop today to get the oil changed.  I later realized they used one less quart than usual, and in looking at the 3 drainage holes, they missed the middle hole.  I'd say about a fifth of the oil currently in the bike is the old oil, approx 2000 miles.  Should I be concerned enough to have this re-done, or am I ok with this currently?

Cheers,
Raydar

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

A.T.

• SEA-ROAR
    • Raider
    Re: Oil change question
    « Reply #1 on: Jun 30, 2020, 09:46:56 pm »
    I'd demand the money back and find another shop, or redo it yourself.  If they forgot to open all three drains, they probably didn't add enough oil.  Did you check it afterwards following the check procedure?

On this bike, the bike appears full after about 4 quarts and motor has to be started, revved a bit to move the oil around, and then the rest added.  If they didn't do this, they may have stopped at 4 quarts. 

But to answer your question: if the oil amount is correct, and 1/5 is old, you should be okay - I'd do the next change sooner.   

RaydarRatRace

• Road Star
    « Reply #2 on: Jun 30, 2020, 10:37:43 pm »
    Yes the amount of oil is OK.  They put 4 new quarts in, and the last old quart is still there, mixed in with it.  Glad you think it's OK, I will do the next one myself after around 2,000 miles (if that's too long let me know your opinion).  I'm upset with the shop but they're the only one nearby so I'll just have to eat the $50. 

I'm shopping for a low-cost bike lift so I can start doing oil myself.  Any ideas?  I'm looking at the scissor jacks and bike lifts under $150.  Any recommendations?  The scissor jack looks cool but there are 2 bolts under the bike that it might rest on so I'm a bit concerned over it.

• Advertisement

Fiddles

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 1
      « Reply #3 on: Jul 01, 2020, 05:48:19 am »
      Yes the amount of oil is OK.  They put 4 new quarts in, and the last old quart is still there, mixed in with it.  Glad you think it's OK, I will do the next one myself after around 2,000 miles (if that's too long let me know your opinion).  I'm upset with the shop but they're the only one nearby so I'll just have to eat the $50. 

I'm shopping for a low-cost bike lift so I can start doing oil myself.  Any ideas?  I'm looking at the scissor jacks and bike lifts under $150.  Any recommendations?  The scissor jack looks cool but there are 2 bolts under the bike that it might rest on so I'm a bit concerned over it.
      get 3 concrete blocks,  raise bike up and put a block under front and rear tires and under side stand  remove jack now you have plenty of room for oil change
      Freedom Performance  Sharp Curves Bullet cowl, Full Wrap front Fender, RC Savage Eclipse wheels, Ultimate  seat, Autometer  Pro Cycle
      Tach, lowering bones and progressive spring, Ivan's flash, K&N filter with open air box, Avon Cobra Chrome  tires

Pir8

• DE, MD, Northern VA and South Eastern PA Riders
      • V Star
      « Reply #4 on: Jul 01, 2020, 10:07:51 am »

get 3 concrete blocks,  raise bike up and put a block under front and rear tires and under side stand  remove jack now you have plenty of room for oil change

Yup.  I have a Craftsman (the Yellow one) lift that I have used for the Bolt, Shadow, and now the Raider. 

For oil changes, I just drop down 3 2x6 scraps, pull the bike onto them (pulling is easier than pushing), throw the third one under the kickstand, and do the oil change like that, no lift needed.  I use a kitty litter box as a oil pan and it just fits height wise, but due to being pretty long, you can reach in and get to the plugs. I also just drop the plugs into the oil, don't worry about catching them, use a magnet to retrieve them.  Much less mess.

I'd definitely ask for my money back. Any reputable shop that made that mistake would rectify it, any shop that wouldn't rectify that mistake isn't reputable. Honestly, I'd also change the oil.  What kind did they use?  Synthetic? What weight? I'm not looking to get into which is better, just that mixing is bad.  I think 30-50 bux vs worrying all summer if your motor is going to explode is an easy decision.  I know times are hard, but engine damage will cost more than an oil change. (I also think engine damage from this is unlikely, but personally, I wouldn't take the risk.)

RaydarRatRace

• Road Star
      « Reply #5 on: Jul 01, 2020, 02:16:23 pm »
      It's 20w50 castrol mineral oil.  Been using it often.  I have one guy telling me 1/5 old oil is OK, and another telling me it's bad.  Any further insight?

Damnbiker

• V Star
      « Reply #6 on: Jul 01, 2020, 03:03:03 pm »
      Regarding the mixed opinions...you are going to get that on here. It comes down to what each person's preference is in your given situation.

As far as engine wear or potential damage occurring if you leave it alone? No more-no less. Your engine will be fine.

Is it worth you going back to the shop and having them change the oil again? Up to you, of course, but keep this in mind...I'm sure they only charged you for the oil that was put into the engine, so if expect to owe for that additional quart (unless they want to eat the cost for your inconvenience of having to go back).

My opinion is that you aren't wrong with choosing either option. Ultimately, my choice would be that if it is going to bother you enough to reduce the enjoyment of riding and it will consistently stay on your mind, then have them fix it and be confident you have 100% fresh oil.

Lastly, if it is the only shop near you and there aren't many options, I wouldn't raise call kinds of hell and burn a bridge over an honest mistake. They should make it right somehow...store credit, next service 1/2 price, etc.

dukedomain

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #7 on: Jul 01, 2020, 04:06:10 pm »
      Running for a couple thousand miles with mixed oil/old oil/different weight oil isn’t going hurt a thing.  Fill it and ride it!

Pir8

• V Star
      « Reply #8 on: Jul 02, 2020, 10:23:30 am »
      Running for a couple thousand miles with mixed oil/old oil/different weight oil isn’t going hurt a thing.  Fill it and ride it!

I agree that odds are running it this way won't cause damage, though it's more likely too than if the job had been done correctly. I just think "the standard we walk past is the standard we accept". I'd get my money back.  And I'd change my own oil.  If demanding your money back from someone who doesn't do a job to a basic minimum standard standard alienates them, I don't want to do business with them. I think "change all of the oil" is a pretty low standard for an oil change.

I used to be a retail manager of a large big box electronics store, if someone told me an installer did something like this, I'd give them store credit in a heartbeat and if that didn't make them feel whole, I'd refund the charge.  Better to keep their future business than quibble over bad service.

I did think of one possibility, did they charge you for a filter?  Some manuals (haven't checked ours) have different intervals for oil change with a filter and without.  This wouldn't account for an entire quart, but perhaps they just didn't need to open a new one and you just need to top it off. 

RaydarRatRace

• Road Star
      « Reply #9 on: Jul 02, 2020, 11:10:13 am »
      I brought my own oil and filter.  I thought something was up when they only used 4 of the 5 bottles, and when the middle oil plug was bone dry. 

Does anyone know if the oil is circulated through the whole bike, or if the oil is separated?  Meaning, if they missed the middle hole, does that oil all still get circulated anyway?

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 20
      « Reply #10 on: Jul 02, 2020, 11:22:25 am »
      I brought my own oil and filter.  I thought something was up when they only used 4 of the 5 bottles, and when the middle oil plug was bone dry. 

Does anyone know if the oil is circulated through the whole bike, or if the oil is separated?  Meaning, if they missed the middle hole, does that oil all still get circulated anyway?
      Yes the oil will circulate - all the oil is now mixed since they poured the new oil in on top of the old oil - I find it strange that they would use the oil and filter that you brought a lot of dealerships won't do that because if the oil you brought caused some type of failure - just like some shops won't install a tire that the customer brings with them. If you have other options for maintenance I'd use them.

Zekester

• Road Star
      « Reply #11 on: Jul 02, 2020, 03:10:48 pm »
      The shop that changed the oil in your Raider should make it right,  I would let them know and see what they would do for you.  If nothing is done by them I would change the oil properly myself right away or it would bother me every time I rode.  Just my opinion.  Good luck.
      Zeke
      USMC
      1971-1973
      2012 SCL #8

RaydarRatRace

• Road Star
      « Reply #12 on: Jul 02, 2020, 03:29:25 pm »
      I went over there today and they agreed to book an appointment drain all 3 plugs and give me fresh oil.  I just hope buddy doesn't round out the hex bolt plug, as it seems a bit rounded.  Anyway, it's a step in the right direction.

Pir8

• V Star
      « Reply #13 on: Jul 02, 2020, 03:59:37 pm »
      That is a great first step. I'd verify what oil/filter they intend to use (or are you bringing it?). Glad to hear they seem to be making it right.

Zxdave

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 2
      « Reply #14 on: Jul 02, 2020, 07:14:42 pm »

Agreed , having it filled to proper level is the most important it this matter I think , you’ll be fine
      Lean till it grinds , then lean some more ..