Author Topic: Oil change question  (Read 2757 times)

Zekester

• Road Star
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Oil change question
« Reply #15 on: Jul 03, 2020, 06:40:39 am »
If you have a partially rounded head on one of your drain plugs and have the time before your appt. I would get a replacement drain plugs,  I believe there is a thread on here about what aftermarket ones are better than factory.
Zeke
USMC
1971-1973
2012 SCL #8

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 20
    « Reply #16 on: Jul 03, 2020, 07:04:30 am »
    If you have a partially rounded head on one of your drain plugs and have the time before your appt. I would get a replacement drain plugs,  I believe there is a thread on here about what aftermarket ones are better than factory.
    I agree you should have them put a new drain plug in - this might be the reason that they didn't pull that plug to begin with.

Coldfinger

• Roadliner
    « Reply #17 on: Jul 03, 2020, 09:20:58 am »
    I know they are going to make it right.

If they wouldnt have, I wouldnt worry about 1 quart of 2000 mile oil being mixed with the new as long as there were no other reasons you were changing oil at 2000 miles because a lot of people go way more miles than that between changes.

For easier access, I tie the bike down by the handlebars, like you do when trailering, and use a floor jack under the rear suspension linkage to raise the back end of bike up enough for easy access to all oil plugs.   

• Advertisement

StrykerBilly

• Warrior
      « Reply #18 on: Jul 03, 2020, 09:50:29 am »
      Running for a couple thousand miles with mixed oil/old oil/different weight oil isn’t going hurt a thing.  Fill it and ride it!

Agreed , having it filled to proper level is the most important it this matter I think , you’ll be fine

Yep.  Quickest way to blow an engine is to be low on oil!!

RaydarRatRace

• Road Star
      « Reply #19 on: Jul 05, 2020, 12:42:40 am »
      Thx for the help all, I'm enjoying my fresh oil.  Can someone link aftermarket oil drain plugs that will fit all holes?

A.T.

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider

Zekester

• Road Star
      « Reply #21 on: Jul 05, 2020, 07:21:58 pm »
      I bought a set off ebay or amazon but cannot find the package right now.  A.T is correct M14 x 1.5 and get them with a 12-14mm size bolt head for easier access with a wrench.
      Zeke
      USMC
      1971-1973
      2012 SCL #8

RaydarRatRace

• Road Star
      « Reply #22 on: Jul 29, 2020, 06:09:56 pm »
      Hey folks, back again, thanks for the help earlier. 

I've been riding around on my fresh oil (was told it was yamalube 20w50 mineral oil), and noticed the engine has been a lot hotter lately than usual.  I'm used to using Castrol 20w50 mineral oil.  Almost, scorching to the touch.  It also takes many, many hours to cool off.  It has been very hot here lately weather-wise, like 100 deg, but, its noticeably much more hotter than usual.  Thinking of changing the oil again back to castrol. 

Looking for opinions - might it be that they put in oil that was sitting on their shelf for a few years?  Is there any way to test if this is due to oil? 

ZEUS67

• Road Star
      « Reply #23 on: Jul 29, 2020, 06:43:16 pm »
      It's been really hot up here in the Northeast too and I'm using Castrol Actevo 20w50 semi synthetic with pretty good luck. Not really aware of the bike staying hot for a long time but I'll have to pay more attention to that. Sometimes it hard to tell because the sun hitting the bike may also keep it hotter than normal too

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 7
      « Reply #24 on: Jul 29, 2020, 07:36:46 pm »
      Explain to me what you all consider HOT?

Coldfinger

• Roadliner
      « Reply #25 on: Jul 29, 2020, 07:57:59 pm »
      I dont think it would make much difference.

I was monitoring temps on the gauge for a while, just for an experiment to see if engine temp varies with humidity and how much it follows air temperature and then came to the conclusion there are just too many variables to try and control and I didnt have the ambition to try and do a more controlled test. 

RaydarRatRace

• Road Star
      « Reply #26 on: Jul 29, 2020, 11:07:36 pm »
      @ AresX - The motor is like stovetop hot, like the top of a blazing wood stove.  It also stays hot a lot longer.  That started after that new oil was put in.  Makes me wonder if the technician put in 10w40 instead of 20w50. 

Kevs UK Raider SCL

• UK Raider SCL #300
      • Warrior
      • Referrals: 1
      « Reply #27 on: Jul 30, 2020, 09:26:04 am »
      I've ridden in 125 degree temps in Nevada in August time and I used 20w50 Mineral Oil and I think the engine temps according to the gauge was around 246 degrees.
      The engine oil obviously thins out at those temps so the engine "ticks" a little.

I use 20w50 Semi Syn nowadays and it works for me. I never use 10w40 on any of my Raiders.

Zero issues. I do like to change the oil every 4k or so unless I'm on a 5k road trip :) plus I always change the filter at every oil change.

One of only around 85 or so Raider Owners in the UK

Ron505

• SEA-ROAR Member
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 2
      « Reply #28 on: Jul 30, 2020, 03:34:21 pm »
      Explain to me what you all consider HOT?

:rotfl:  You tell him what hot is Ares.
      I refuse to tiptoe through life, only to arrive at death safely.

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 7
      « Reply #29 on: Jul 30, 2020, 03:51:43 pm »
      Yesterday weather.com had a high temperature reported as 113°, but a buddy of mine was out in his truck and the thermometer reading showed him 121°.  I don't doubt this since a couple of weeks ago I was out and it was only supposed to be 109°, but the truck was showing 116°.

Weather.com is showing 115° right now. I'm guessing it's actually much hotter.