Author Topic: New rear Cobra Chrome 240 flat spot - a concern?  (Read 1923 times)

Coldfinger

• Roadliner
  • Referrals: 0
New rear Cobra Chrome 240 flat spot - a concern?
« on: Jun 15, 2020, 08:36:09 pm »
My brand new Avon Cobra Chrome 240 which I ordered from Chapmoto.com has a flat spot near the middle of the tread.   The tire has never been installed.   Actually, more concave than flat. 

I am worried if I install it I am going to feel the flat spot. 

Should I be concerned?

« Last Edit: Jun 15, 2020, 08:39:05 pm by Coldfinger »

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

RangerRick

• Raider
    • Referrals: 1
    Re: New rear Cobra Chrome 240 flat spot - a concern?
    « Reply #1 on: Jun 15, 2020, 09:11:46 pm »
    You'll feel it if it is as bad as the flat/out of round spot was on my last Cobra 240, which was not the the new Chrome style tire. Wondering if their quality is going down the tube.

Mine I did not discover till it was mounted and it dipped in like 1/4 inch or more in one spot when i rotated the tire with rear wheel of ground. Talk about feeling like a badly out of balance tire >:(
    2013 Can-Am Spyder ST-SE5
    ANG Member 25 years
    Retired Aug. 1, 2010

A.T.

• SEA-ROAR
    • Raider
    « Reply #2 on: Jun 15, 2020, 09:16:25 pm »
    Wow - I've never inspected my tires to that degree.  Can you return it and get another?   

• Advertisement

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 20
      « Reply #3 on: Jun 16, 2020, 10:38:00 am »
      I'd return the tire and not mount it - the tire either has a defect of was some how damaged - can't see the flat spot in the pics you posted but like I said I'd send it back.

dukedomain

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #4 on: Jun 16, 2020, 07:45:01 pm »
      That’s the only complaint I have with Avon.  Sometimes it’s quality control, other times I believe stuff gets damaged in transit or storage.  In addition to these two pics I had one 240 that would not mount, the circumference of the bead was just too small.  The tire changer couldn’t stretch it, we let it sit in the sun, beat on it with a sledge hammer, sent it back.

Coldfinger

• Roadliner
      « Reply #5 on: Jun 16, 2020, 08:23:22 pm »
      OP here...I tried to call them today but gave up after 20 minutes on hold.   Will try again tomorrow.

I wasn’t inspecting the tire, just marveling it after I received it and the light hit it just right and didnt reflect evenly so I felt it and looked closer.    The low spot can be seen in the pics because the level touches both sides and light can be seen in the middle.

Dark Matter

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #6 on: Jun 17, 2020, 08:33:15 am »
      I guess I'll go out in the garage and look at my new Chromes before getting them mounted. 

The Star Cruiser “Dark Matter”; named in recognition of the attractive force theorized to exist as an explanation of balance in the universe.

“…if you can make beer in space, life in space will be possible… it is a shortage of beer in space that is holding back further space exploration.”  Dr Walsh 2009

the urban legend

• Raider
      « Reply #7 on: Jun 17, 2020, 06:45:39 pm »
      At work we have 2 tire balancers that can measure roadforce. That function allows us to measure the force variation and runout of the whole tire and wheel assembly. Flat spots are a form of force variation.

A few weeks ago we got 4 brand new SUV tire and one of them had the worst flat spot I've ever seen. In fact, I can't even call it a flat spot...One section of tread was completely bent inwards, as if someone had stored a 500 pound weight on top of it and left it there for weeks. We tried to bend it back out but it just kept caving in on its own. Well the tech tasked with the job decided to install it to see how bad it was. Guess what...That shitty looking tire had the best force variation reading of the bunch.

Bottom line is you're not going to know if it's bad or not unless you try it. And if you're not comfortable with that, just send it back.
      I'd rather die on a motorcycle than live without one.

Sgt Fury

• 2012 Raider SCL #188
      • Roadliner
      « Reply #8 on: Jun 17, 2020, 10:20:30 pm »
      Dunno about the flat spot and road-force concerns which may be OK or self-correct/easily balance (road-force machines are cool), but IMHO I'd be really concerned about that kinked tire bead.  Looks damaged to me, as they have numerous steel wires inside the stiff bead casting when molded.  The tire looks like somebody already damaged it with a tire iron or improper tire machine effort more than possible shipping damage.  Being "a new tire" (and not cheap no-less), get another sent to you, as I doubt that kinked bead flaw will truly correct itself or even hold air for long--or perhaps be a pesky slow leaker for life.  Just sayin' ....  You deserve better.      I have NEVER seen a new tire like that in a bike shop in 50+ years!   :wtf:     (If you already had it mounted, let us know how it goes!)   O8O     Amendment:  the tire bead might be "massaged" back into round with a rubber mallet, and they might suggest that to you, but I don't know if I'd buy that.  Flat spotted and kinked is NOT my idea of a new tire which one's life depends upon! 
      « Last Edit: Jun 17, 2020, 11:15:27 pm by Sgt Fury »

There's no substitute for cubic inches and a good engine management system!   Hmmm, well maybe a blower, NOS or turbo....

Coldfinger

• Roadliner
      « Reply #9 on: Jun 17, 2020, 11:01:43 pm »
      OP here.  I spoke with Chapmoto.  They offered to exchange tires or I could send them a photo and they would speak with Avon.  I sent them a photo and will see what they say. 

dukedomain

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #10 on: Jun 18, 2020, 06:43:52 pm »
      Dunno about the flat spot and road-force concerns which may be OK or self-correct/easily balance (road-force machines are cool), but IMHO I'd be really concerned about that kinked tire bead.  Looks damaged to me, as they have numerous steel wires inside the stiff bead casting when molded.  The tire looks like somebody already damaged it with a tire iron or improper tire machine effort more than possible shipping damage.  Being "a new tire" (and not cheap no-less), get another sent to you, as I doubt that kinked bead flaw will truly correct itself or even hold air for long--or perhaps be a pesky slow leaker for life.  Just sayin' ....  You deserve better.      I have NEVER seen a new tire like that in a bike shop in 50+ years!   :wtf:     (If you already had it mounted, let us know how it goes!)   O8O     Amendment:  the tire bead might be "massaged" back into round with a rubber mallet, and they might suggest that to you, but I don't know if I'd buy that.  Flat spotted and kinked is NOT my idea of a new tire which one's life depends upon!

That tire with the bent bead was sent back.  I’ve still got the one that we couldn’t get mounted on the rim.  If anyone coming to SERR Wants a challenge, I’ll bring it with me and you can have it. 

Pir8

• DE, MD, Northern VA and South Eastern PA Riders
      • V Star
      « Reply #11 on: Jun 19, 2020, 02:46:33 pm »

That tire with the bent bead was sent back.  I’ve still got the one that we couldn’t get mounted on the rim.  If anyone coming to SERR Wants a challenge, I’ll bring it with me and you can have it.

Is the challenge riding all the way back home with a 240 Avon Cobra around your waist?  :D :D :D

dukedomain

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #12 on: Jun 19, 2020, 04:34:37 pm »

Is the challenge riding all the way back home with a 240 Avon Cobra around your waist?  :D :D :D

It could be if you can’t get it mounted on the rim!

Fiddles

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #13 on: Jun 19, 2020, 05:32:07 pm »

It could be if you can’t get it mounted on the rim!
      bring it
      Freedom Performance  Sharp Curves Bullet cowl, Full Wrap front Fender, RC Savage Eclipse wheels, Ultimate  seat, Autometer  Pro Cycle
      Tach, lowering bones and progressive spring, Ivan's flash, K&N filter with open air box, Avon Cobra Chrome  tires

Coldfinger

• Roadliner
      « Reply #14 on: Jul 06, 2020, 06:32:15 pm »
      Update - Chaparral suggested they just send me a new tire rather than wait for Avon to provide their opinion.   

I received the new tire and installed it.  Went for a 200 mile ride at speeds up to reasonable for given conditions and it was flawless.   It handled much better than the old Cobra I removed and I am sure most of that had to do with the old tire being worn out with about a 3” flat area around the circumference of the tire.