Author Topic: Rear Shock  (Read 2377 times)

wyner

• Road Star
  • Referrals: 0
Rear Shock
« on: Jul 04, 2020, 02:46:37 pm »
When I bought my 2011, the guy said it was lowered.
I like it - but I would also like to try it stock.
I'm not sure how this works. If ya put new dog bones on do you also need a new shock?
I don't know what he did/what I need to go back.
Can anybody tell from this pic? (other than my bike shouldn't have cobwebs on it!!)
Also - anybody have what I need laying around?

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

Lulu

• Road Star
    Re: Rear Shock
    « Reply #1 on: Jul 04, 2020, 08:02:17 pm »
    Your dog bones look black. My original ones from 2014 look silver (Zn plated). You might need stock dog bones. Other to confirm!

Fiddles

• SEA-ROAR
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 1
    « Reply #2 on: Jul 04, 2020, 08:08:50 pm »
    Your preload looks pretty soft,  raise the rear off the ground and tighten the spanner nuts on the spring about 4 turns and try that,
    Freedom Performance  Sharp Curves Bullet cowl, Full Wrap front Fender, RC Savage Eclipse wheels, Ultimate  seat, Autometer  Pro Cycle
    Tach, lowering bones and progressive spring, Ivan's flash, K&N filter with open air box, Avon Cobra Chrome  tires

• Advertisement

wyner

• Road Star
      « Reply #3 on: Jul 04, 2020, 08:39:50 pm »
      Your dog bones look black. My original ones from 2014 look silver (Zn plated). You might need stock dog bones. Other to confirm!
      I saw others as silver also. So, if I find some stock ones (which would be shorter I think) - do I also need a different shock and spring.

Your preload looks pretty soft,  raise the rear off the ground and tighten the spanner nuts on the spring about 4 turns and try that,
      I don't know for sure - just guessing - I thought the dog bones controlled the height and the shock/spring controlled the stiffness??
      I'm not disagreeing - just trying to figure out what I have - and what was.
      I can try that and see if it changes the height.

Sgt Fury

• 2012 Raider SCL #188
      • Roadliner
      « Reply #4 on: Jul 05, 2020, 01:25:02 am »
      It just might be slammed with the aftermarket dog bones keeping the original shock.  I can't tell by the photo, nor qualified to say much more compared to the site gurus here.     :tumble:

There's no substitute for cubic inches and a good engine management system!   Hmmm, well maybe a blower, NOS or turbo....

Fiddles

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #5 on: Jul 05, 2020, 06:49:46 am »
      I saw others as silver also. So, if I find some stock ones (which would be shorter I think) - do I also need a different shock and spring.

I don't know for sure - just guessing - I thought the dog bones controlled the height and the shock/spring controlled the stiffness??
      I'm not disagreeing - just trying to figure out what I have - and what was.
      I can try that and see if it changes the height.
      preload adjust also sets your sag, amount rear drops when you set on the seat
      Freedom Performance  Sharp Curves Bullet cowl, Full Wrap front Fender, RC Savage Eclipse wheels, Ultimate  seat, Autometer  Pro Cycle
      Tach, lowering bones and progressive spring, Ivan's flash, K&N filter with open air box, Avon Cobra Chrome  tires

wyner

• Road Star
      « Reply #6 on: Jul 23, 2020, 12:04:26 am »
      So, I don't know much more than I did!
      No, I did not adjust my preload to see what that does yet. I was going to get a spanner wrench - then saw the Yamaha tool kit wasn't much more - ordered that - it's back-ordered. I know there's other ways to adjust it, but I really want to know what is on my bike.
      Can anybody tell me what the stock dog bones measure from center of bolt to center of bolt? Or where to look for such information.

roadstar123

• V Star
      « Reply #7 on: Jul 23, 2020, 05:15:06 am »
      My bike is lowered and I have the same shock on as it was at standard height.

I dont have my OEM dog bones at the moment but will be getting them on Sunday so can measure and let you know the measurement then, if no one helps in the meantime

I can tell you however that the difference between the OEM and lowering bones is very small,

TRaider_John

• Patriot Guard Rider
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 5
      « Reply #8 on: Jul 23, 2020, 01:01:21 pm »
      The shock and spring look stock to me.  If the spring had been changed they probably would have put on a progressive spring.  Yours isn't progressive, 

House O Pain

• V Star
      « Reply #9 on: Jul 25, 2020, 06:10:34 pm »
      If the previous owner said the bike was lowered you should trust it was.  The most common lowering option is to install 'dog bones' that are longer than stock (as odd as that sounds).  If you want your bike back to stock you would need to replace the aftermarket 'dog bones' with stock.  My lowering 'dog bones' length are 12, 1/2" from center to center hole, or 14" total outer diameter length.  Compare to what you have. 

My understanding of lowering is that it is typically done with the stock shock and simply adding the longer 'dog bones' that lower fender towards the tire. Some lowering kits add a progressing load spring for a bit more support. 

If your bike is lowered with just 'dog bones' it will still offer some preload adjustment for a softer or stiffer ride.

"A man's got to know his limitations"  Clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry

wyner

• Road Star
      « Reply #10 on: Jul 26, 2020, 01:18:56 pm »
      If the previous owner said the bike was lowered you should trust it was.  The most common lowering option is to install 'dog bones' that are longer than stock (as odd as that sounds).  If you want your bike back to stock you would need to replace the aftermarket 'dog bones' with stock.  My lowering 'dog bones' length are 12, 1/2" from center to center hole, or 14" total outer diameter length.  Compare to what you have. 

My understanding of lowering is that it is typically done with the stock shock and simply adding the longer 'dog bones' that lower fender towards the tire. Some lowering kits add a progressing load spring for a bit more support. 

If your bike is lowered with just 'dog bones' it will still offer some preload adjustment for a softer or stiffer ride.

Thank you very much. I did trust that it was but didn't know what I needed to go back to stock. You explained it very well.
      With it installed, it was kinda hard to get a measurement but I came up with 12 1/2". And I do think my spring and shock are stock.
      So now I need to find some stock ones. I saw a set on ebay but not known if they are stock or not - ask seller to measure - no reply.
      Thanks again