Author Topic: Solo or group rides  (Read 656 times)

fireandice51

• Road Star
  • Referrals: 0
Solo or group rides
« on: Jul 06, 2020, 07:55:53 pm »
Now that  I just retired, Iíve been thinking about taking some longer rides rather than one day runs.
 With that thought, how many people are comfortable riding solo, or are you feeling better in a group of two or more?
       My sweet wife, who doesnít ride and is worried about me on the road alone, wanted me to shoot this question out. Whatís the consensus?

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

sundancer87

• Road Star
    Re: Solo or group rides
    « Reply #1 on: Jul 06, 2020, 08:39:37 pm »
    I've ridden solo before GPS and cell phones, been lost a few times and out of gas a few times.  However, I'm still here and still riding.  When I was unfortunate to have to ride with someone it was either waiting on them to show up or waiting on the to finish a smoke or just waiting in general.
    I'll go my own way and meet later.  My speed, my safety.

FireNative

• Road Star
    « Reply #2 on: Jul 06, 2020, 09:28:52 pm »
    I only ride solo. I do 6 day trips where i ride in a circle in state parks/wild life management areas for about 6hrs. Then I go back to the hotel, get a bite to eat. Drink some bourbon on the rocks in the hotel and pass out. Wake up clean my baby with 3 microfiber clothes, one with soapy water in it, and 2 clean and dry. Then go fuel up, get some snacks and drinks to throw in my saddle bags, then get some breakfast. Take off about 10 or 11am and ride all day only stopping to fuel up, use the bathroom and drink or eat a snack. I would definitely recommend these direct cables that are made with connections to jump your bike if you have a dead/low battery, and this jumper. I would also recommend this model as it has a SAE connection to connect a SAE cable to a USB fast charger so you can plug your cell in to keep it charged. I have my cell mounted with an X RAM mount to my bars so i can see google maps so i can make a route and so as to not get lost. Also my cell with Spotify music to my Bluetooth speaker in my helmet to jam out to music.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072F9HS2B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B087CGQDXH?ref=ppx_pt2_dt_b_prod_image

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Q176PJ6?ref=ppx_pt2_dt_b_prod_image

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015TKUPIC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I would recommend a portable air pump also. I have this one coming in Wednesday so i don't know how good it works yet. It is $70 but they have some for as low as $45

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H3LP4LL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have the second from the smallest portable battery jumper as I will also use it to jump my SUV if need be but you can get the cheaper jumper the GB20 for $80 instead of the current $100 for the NOCO GB40, (when i got my GB40 it was on sale for $82 so watch for sales)

With this setup you have a portable jumper, portable air pump, USB to keep your cell charged as you use it mounted to your bars for music and directions. I also have quick disconnect brackets mounted on saddlebags i only put on for long trips. These brackets and these bags. (18"x11"x8")

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019XTNY2Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LWOL33Z/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These brackets are quick disconnect for our Raider Easy Brackets

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SG3CM18/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_9?smid=A8BIPECM5HTO9&psc=1

The reason why I like this jumper, this direct battery connector, a portable air pumper, and this USB fast charger to SAE is because this jumper is rated for up to 6.0L gas and 3.0L diesel vehicles and motos, (so i can use it on my GMC Terrain SVU also) and with its battery connector i don't have to unplug stuff, pull out the battery, get to the post and alligator clip it, all i have to do is plug it directly to the plug, wait 15 secs and start. Also it comes with a SAE adaptor so i have a SAE cable i will zip tie under the tank to the neck and plug that USB 3.0 fast charger to keep my cell charging all day. An those bags are the largest leather looking PVC bags at 18"x10"x8" about 20L per bag and they fit great with the huge stock pipes, at $92 they are a great price. And those universal quick disconnect brackets were only $56 and fit great, work great, and after added some extra nuts and bolts they are super secure.
    « Last Edit: Jul 07, 2020, 09:34:25 am by FireNative »

• Advertisement

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 7
      « Reply #3 on: Jul 06, 2020, 10:38:56 pm »
      I would prefer to have my wife ride with me only because once I got to the destination I would get bored, but my wife rides her own.  She's one of the few people I trust enough to ride with because I've ridden along with some idiots that did some really stupid stunts that embarrassed me to be seen with them. I would feel comfortable riding with my son too.  He's another one I know is responsible and not going to do anything stupid.

Sgt Fury

• 2012 Raider SCL #188
      • Road Star
      • Referrals: 1
      « Reply #4 on: Jul 06, 2020, 11:47:11 pm »
      I totally "get" the riding solo as I do it myself, but I enjoy riding more with only 1-3 other well-known friends who have the same interests and driving habits/skills.  Taking things easy on the back roads, enjoying the new scenery we will never pass through again in many instances---not going a hellin' down an interstate at insane speeds.  Mostly have ridden with my ole high school friend to attend a race and camp out in the process (Watkins Glen or Summit Point)---or---opt for a motel with a soft bed and hot shower as we get "older"!!  Having older carb bikes in years past, two heads were smarter than one if a bike developed an issue (electrical or tire) in the boondocks, of course.  We always prevailed, luckily.    O8O
      « Last Edit: Jul 06, 2020, 11:50:50 pm by Sgt Fury »

There's no substitute for cubic inches and a good engine management system!   Hmmm, well maybe a blower, NOS or turbo....

Kevs UK Raider SCL

• UK Raider SCL #300
      • Roadliner
      « Reply #5 on: Jul 07, 2020, 07:56:41 am »
      Just to put my 2 cents in...... I can ride alone but most of my long road trips are for 2 weeks and when in the US 4 weeks. Riding thousands of miles alone can be boring not so much on the ride, but in the evenings having a meal and a beer or two.

The other issue is that if you have a mechanical problem, its better to have some help. If you service your bike and have most bases covered, you should be fine but you can always get a puncture and having at least a 2nd person can help. Relying on recovery in the middle of a State where there are miles of nothing becomes a challenge especially if the temps are high.

I also like the buzz of riding in a group and having either 4 or 8 people seems to work best. For whatever reason, people or couples seem to pair up in the evenings anyway.

Pick who you ride with as different opinions of where to ride and what route can cause debate you could do without. When I'm in the US, we have a meeting prior to the trip to agree the route and any deviations to that route need to be discussed and agreed before going. An inch on a map can mean a 500 mile detour :(

Always take water for hot days and a puncture repair kit that can get you out of trouble. I also have a small compressor that plugs onto the battery to pump the tire up again.
      Also, when travelling with others, you can agree who takes what regarding any tools so one person doesn't need to take it all.

I could write a story about road trips as I've done many including 5 trips across the US and more to come. Should of been next week but for the virus, so planning for next years 4-5k mile ride now.

For our 2 week rides into Europe including Scandinavia and southern Europe (Spain/Portugal) etc, I organize a lead groups up to 30 strong, around 27 bikes, but all who I know, ride in a formation that works for all. Slower riders up front behind me, those who like to chase at the back. It works and have done it for 20+ years now. If anyone f*cks up, they don't get to come again....

Nobody is right, its an individual thing and do what's best for you and most importantly enjoy the ride...

« Last Edit: Jul 07, 2020, 08:03:44 am by Kevs UK Raider SCL »
      One of only around 65 or so Raider Owners in the UK

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 19
      « Reply #6 on: Jul 07, 2020, 08:18:56 am »
      You said you like to hit the road between 10 and 11 - I like to hit the road at daybreak may ride a hundred miles or so before stopping to eat breakfast.

FireNative

• Road Star
      « Reply #7 on: Jul 07, 2020, 08:34:45 am »
      You said you like to hit the road between 10 and 11 - I like to hit the road at daybreak may ride a hundred miles or so before stopping to eat breakfast.

Yeah Roadkill, i get up from 6-8am clean bike, gas station, fuel up, pick up snacks and drinks as those will probably be my lunch as i maybe in the middle of nowhere when i get hungry/thirsty. Then i get breakfast and take off about 10-11am then ride for about 6-8hrs getting back to the hotel about 4-6pm. Not trying to clock the most miles, I'm just cruising back roads, looking at the scenery. If I see something cool looking I pull over and enjoy. Get back to the hotel go grab some take out and eat at the hotel. Bourbon on the rocks, relax, shower, pass out. Rinse repeat. The last day there i get 1-3 (1)hr massages at different places because after 4 days of riding 6-8hrs a day a few back/feet massages feel GREAT! But i can see trying to put in an hour before breakfast

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #8 on: Jul 07, 2020, 08:45:35 am »

Yeah Roadkill, i get up from 6-8am clean bike, gas station, fuel up, pick up snacks and drinks as those will probably be my lunch as i maybe in the middle of nowhere when i get hungry/thirsty. Then i get breakfast and take off about 10-11am then ride for about 6-8hrs getting back to the hotel about 4-6pm. Not trying to clock the most miles, I'm just cruising back roads, looking at the scenery. If I see something cool looking I pull over and enjoy. Get back to the hotel go grab some take out and eat at the hotel. Bourbon on the rocks, relax, shower, pass out. Rinse repeat. The last day there i get 1-3 (1)hr massages at different places because after 4 days of riding 6-8hrs a day a few back/feet massages feel GREAT! But i can see trying to put in an hour before breakfast
      What you're talking about is going to a destination and staying there and riding the area for a couple of days that's different - A road trip to me is going from point A to point B to point C and so on - I've already got a 7,000 mile 11 state trip planned for next year.

FireNative

• Road Star
      « Reply #9 on: Jul 07, 2020, 09:41:54 am »

What you're talking about is going to a destination and staying there and riding the area for a couple of days that's different - A road trip to me is going from point A to point B to point C and so on - I've already got a 7,000 mile 11 state trip planned for next year.

RoadKill that sounds great and I'm sure I'll try that one day. Thanks for the info as no one can think of everything, there's always a better way to do things, and the only person that can't learn is the person that thinks he knows it all. Thanks I will think about that kind of schedule when i try a A to B to C trip. I have 7 more years to retire then i want to ride from one side of the US to the other a few times taking a few different routes. With unlimited time off work I would take as much time as i want. Thanks again. I might try a Loop A to B to C to home trip one day to try it out. But i rather not just try to log hours and miles on my baby i rather enjoy an area and see more stuff than interstate but to each his own. Ride safe RoadKill
      « Last Edit: Jul 07, 2020, 09:50:15 am by FireNative »

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #10 on: Jul 07, 2020, 10:10:34 am »

RoadKill that sounds great and I'm sure I'll try that one day. Thanks for the info as no one can think of everything, there's always a better way to do things, and the only person that can't learn is the person that thinks he knows it all. Thanks I will think about that kind of schedule when i try a A to B to C trip. I have 7 more years to retire then i want to ride from one side of the US to the other a few times taking a few different routes. With unlimited time off work I would take as much time as i want. Thanks again. I might try a Loop A to B to C to home trip one day to try it out. But i rather not just try to log hours and miles on my baby i rather enjoy an area and see more stuff than interstate but to each his own. Ride safe RoadKill
      I don't do interstate unless I just have to on a road trip - too many great back roads to explore to do that.

dukedomain

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #11 on: Jul 07, 2020, 06:30:40 pm »

I wanna hear more about that trip.

StrykerBilly

• Warrior
      « Reply #12 on: Jul 07, 2020, 08:09:23 pm »
      Group riding and solo riding both have their pluses and minuses.  As others have said, if you can pick the group and keep it say 10 or less that is perfect!!
      Only 1 or 2 times have I left a group ride in the middle due to idiots.  Normally everyone is fine and you just sometimes get behind a slow poke!!

Solo is great for the initial leg(get lost with your thoughts etc.) but after day #1 and maybe 3 meals alone it gets pretty old to me.  I do have a route where I visit family in Iowa and usually can meet some cool people along the way but cannot do this year due to Covid and moving next year :(

RangerRick

• Raider
      « Reply #13 on: Jul 07, 2020, 10:33:07 pm »
      I've ridden solo before GPS and cell phones, been lost a few times and out of gas a few times.  However, I'm still here and still riding.  When I was unfortunate to have to ride with someone it was either waiting on them to show up or waiting on the to finish a smoke or just waiting in general.
      I'll go my own way and meet later.  My speed, my safety.

:agree: Solo for me, since 1974 ;D
      2007 Honda VTX 1300R
      ANG Member 25 years
      Retired Aug. 1, 2010

TRaider_John

• Patriot Guard Rider
      • Global Moderator
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 5
      « Reply #14 on: Jul 07, 2020, 10:55:54 pm »
      I'll group ride with a large  if I have to, but I prefer solo or small groups.  I like to stop when I want to, especially to take a photo.  For me. that trumps any advantage of a large group ride.