Author Topic: New Gas Cap  (Read 1382 times)

A.T.

• SEA-ROAR
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 0
New Gas Cap
« on: Jul 11, 2020, 01:41:17 pm »
Decided to try something new - bought this gas cap for my bike for <$20.  Never really liked the bulbous UFO looking stock chrome gas cap.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fuel-Gas-Tank-Cap-Cover-Keys-for-Yamaha-TRICKER-XG250-Serow-XT250-SCR950-XT660/263882474732?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I had thought about an 14 SCL gas cap but they price at $90 or more. 

This cap looks pretty cool and locks up tight just like the stock cap - no issues.  I was going to swap out the lock barrels, but when I disassembled the new cap, springs went flying everywhere.  Put it back together, and decided to try out the new cap first before trying to swap the lock barrels.

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

Ares X

• Administrator
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 7
    Re: New Gas Cap
    « Reply #1 on: Jul 11, 2020, 01:46:25 pm »
    Have you ever seen the Barons Profiler cap?  That'a what I am using.  It's in chrome and sits close to the tank.  No lock though.

dukedomain

• SEA-ROAR
    • Raider
    « Reply #2 on: Jul 11, 2020, 01:47:16 pm »
    Decided to try something new - bought this gas cap for my bike for <$20.  Never really liked the bulbous UFO looking stock chrome gas cap.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fuel-Gas-Tank-Cap-Cover-Keys-for-Yamaha-TRICKER-XG250-Serow-XT250-SCR950-XT660/263882474732?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

This cap looks pretty cool and locks up tight just like the stock cap - no issues.  I was going to swap out the lock barrels, but when I disassembled the new cap, springs went flying everywhere.  Put it back together, and decided to try out the new cap first before trying to swap the lock barrels.

That is the SCL gas cap

• Advertisement

Dirtiegirtie

• Road Star
      « Reply #3 on: Jul 11, 2020, 03:28:59 pm »
      If I ever find the time to put my new tins on, this cap will look perfect. I just ordered one using the link you provided. Thanks!

A.T.

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #4 on: Jul 11, 2020, 04:12:47 pm »
      Have you ever seen the Barons Profiler cap?  That'a what I am using.  It's in chrome and sits close to the tank.  No lock though.

Yeah - have seen - they look great...even thought about buying one.  Kinda opted "nope" after that one guy in KY crashed and caught fire when the profiler cap fell out.  I'm sure his wasn't properly installed but just stuck in my mind.  What I'd really like is a low-profile pop-up.

That is the SCL gas cap

Hmmm - nice - it's what I wanted anyway....Ron Ayers has the '14 SCL cap selling for $97
      « Last Edit: Jul 11, 2020, 04:23:58 pm by A.T. »

dukedomain

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #5 on: Jul 11, 2020, 05:19:37 pm »

Yeah - have seen - they look great...even thought about buying one.  Kinda opted "nope" after that one guy in KY crashed and caught fire when the profiler cap fell out.  I'm sure his wasn't properly installed but just stuck in my mind.  What I'd really like is a low-profile pop-up.

That is the SCL gas cap

Hmmm - nice - it's what I wanted anyway....Ron Ayers has the '14 SCL cap selling for $97

You got a good deal!  Hereís mine I donít see a difference.

« Last Edit: Jul 12, 2020, 12:59:20 pm by dukedomain »

A.T.

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #6 on: Jul 11, 2020, 06:07:29 pm »

That is the SCL gas cap

You got a good deal!  Hereís mine I do t see a difference.

Ha!  Next time I negotiate a bike purchase, I'll add in a demand for $90 off 'cause I'll bring my own gas cap.

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 7
      « Reply #7 on: Jul 11, 2020, 06:38:54 pm »

Yeah. I had an issue where mine came loose twice. First time was with the adhesive they provided and the second time was with some JB Quick Weld.  Since then I used the stronger JB Weld and it hasn't been an issue since.

Bluridge Raider

• V Star
      « Reply #8 on: Jul 17, 2020, 11:33:56 am »
      Has anyone painted the stock chrome gas cap black ?

A.T.

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #9 on: Jul 17, 2020, 04:43:34 pm »
      Yeah - someone did a while back...it'd have to be powder coated to last

dreadly

• living the dream
      • Global Moderator
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 1
      « Reply #10 on: Jul 20, 2020, 08:47:21 am »
      Yeah - someone did a while back...it'd have to be powder coated to last

This is what I did with mine

cobaltss01

• 2015 Raider
      • Road Star
      « Reply #11 on: Jul 26, 2020, 10:58:14 pm »
      I just checked that listing and it said the color was silver? Looks kinda black to me.

Dirtiegirtie

• Road Star
      « Reply #12 on: Jul 27, 2020, 09:16:58 am »
      I just checked that listing and it said the color was silver? Looks kinda black to me.

It's definitely black.
      I bought it using the provided link (turned out to be the same seller I've bought caps for other bikes from before) and mine is black.
      I've only tried to fit mine on the spare tank I have that is not mounted on my bike and I felt like it took more effort to get it seated properly. It may be easier on the bike as the tank won't want to more away from the pressure you are applying to the cap. I guess I should just try it on the bike and see if it leaks or anything. Hopefully I get the same results as A.T.
      Is it OEM quality? No. But for $17.20 it seems like a good deal (so far).

Pir8

• DE, MD, Northern VA and South Eastern PA Riders
      • V Star
      « Reply #13 on: Jul 27, 2020, 11:18:42 am »
      I have been running this on my Bolt for years with no issues.  Swapped it over to the raider and it works just like on the bolt.  I am pretty sure it could be rekeyed to your original keys, but I never felt the need since I'm also running Digital Guard Dawg on the bolt, so no keys anyway. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HK8QK4B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Fiddles

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 1
      « Reply #14 on: Jul 27, 2020, 04:57:46 pm »
      I have been running this on my Bolt for years with no issues.  Swapped it over to the raider and it works just like on the bolt.  I am pretty sure it could be rekeyed to your original keys, but I never felt the need since I'm also running Digital Guard Dawg on the bolt, so no keys anyway. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HK8QK4B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
      had the Digital guard  dawg  and had problems with it running the battery down
      V&H 2into1, Bullet cowl, Full Wrap front Fender, Ultimate  seat, Barons Tach, lowering bones and progressive spring, Ivan's flash, K&N filter with open air box, Avon Cobra Chrome  tires