Author Topic: Adirondack Spill  (Read 721 times)

Pastor Jay

• Road Star
  • Referrals: 1
Adirondack Spill
« on: Jul 11, 2020, 07:20:05 pm »
last week my wife and I were on a 6 day 1000 mile dream ride in , though and around the Adirondacks. Four days into it we had just finished a ride to Whiteface Summit. while continuing our ride in Lake Placid rte 73 we saw something we might like to check out. So I pulled over to make a u-turn like I have a thousand times.  There were a bunch of cars parked on the side of the road so I thought I would pull in after the last one.  What I did not know till too late was that it was actually the end of the parking area where the pitch of the road went very steep and somewhat narrow. When I went to put my right foot down there was noting there so the bike jerked right and in a terrifying second took us into a concrete drainage ditch. I immediately knew I had broken my shoulder. A young couple who was in that last car came over and helped us right the bike. I was not sure what do to it was so steep there was no way we could have pushed it up to level ground. Even if we could have pushed it out, what then?  I decided to attempt to ride the bike out of the hole. I got it out drove it a mile down the road did a u-turn. Got my wife and bags and rode 20 miles to our hotel. the good people there took me to the hospital. The amazing thing is my wife did not sustain even a scratch. The bike was laying completely on its side. The only thing that got damaged was the hard viking bag.  My son drove the 320 miles to drop off a vehicle we could drive home in and he rode the bike home. All in all, given everything I am feeiling pretty good about things. It truly could have been so much worse. hoping to be back on the bike in 4-6 weeks.
The most important step in your life is the one you are taking right now.

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

dukedomain

• SEA-ROAR
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 0
    Re: Adirondack Spill
    « Reply #1 on: Jul 11, 2020, 07:37:05 pm »
    I am not a doctor but yeah I concur, that’s a broken bone. :yikes: Dang bro, glad it wasn’t worse and thank the Lord your wife wasn’t injured.  Hope you heal up fast!

A.T.

• SEA-ROAR
    • Raider
    « Reply #2 on: Jul 11, 2020, 07:41:05 pm »
    Thank God your wife was okay, and so sorry you are hurt - prayers for a speedy recovery.  And so glad to hear you have a great support system.

I dumped the bike once in a slow parking turn due to gravel with my wife on back.  She wasn't hurt, but I was so scared in those moments - I know you must have been worried as well.

• Advertisement

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 7
      « Reply #3 on: Jul 11, 2020, 07:57:38 pm »
      That's crazy!  So glad it wasn't worse and that you wife remained unscathed. Hard to believe you rode 20 miles with that shoulder.  That could not have been comfortable.

GOOD LUCK healing!

Zxdave

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 2
      « Reply #4 on: Jul 12, 2020, 01:27:37 am »
      Wow bro , sorry to hear about this but I’m glad you are gonna be ok and that your bride was ok !!
      Take it easy and heal up !
      Lean till it grinds , then lean some more ..

Zekester

• Road Star
      « Reply #5 on: Jul 12, 2020, 06:04:58 am »
      Sorry to hear about the spill,  heal well and fast!!
      Zeke
      USMC
      1971-1973
      2012 SCL #8

Fiddles

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #6 on: Jul 12, 2020, 07:47:51 am »
      Good t here yall are ok except for the shoulder  you are a bad man riding with a broke shoulder,  heal up soon !
      V&H 2into1, Bullet cowl, Full Wrap front Fender, Ultimate  seat, Barons Tach, lowering bones and progressive spring, Ivan's flash, K&N filter with open air box, Avon Cobra Chrome  tires

FireNative

• Road Star
      « Reply #7 on: Jul 12, 2020, 05:27:26 pm »
      Sorry to hear about the spill and your shoulder. YOU ARE A MAN to ride 20 miles with that complete shoulder break! Not a hairline fracture but a completely separated broken shoulder :o Man I pray you recover fast and full.

Pastor Jay

• Road Star
      « Reply #8 on: Jul 12, 2020, 07:52:17 pm »
      hey thanks for the kind word and well wishes. feeling better every day. Going in for more X-rays Tuesday to check progress. everyday is one day closer to getting back on it. Bike on the lift now going to do some maintenance while laid up. Good therapy for the both of us.  ;D
      The most important step in your life is the one you are taking right now.

Dark Matter

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #9 on: Jul 13, 2020, 06:54:14 am »
      Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
      The Star Cruiser “Dark Matter”; named in recognition of the attractive force theorized to exist as an explanation of balance in the universe.

“…if you can make beer in space, life in space will be possible… it is a shortage of beer in space that is holding back further space exploration.”  Dr Walsh 2009

dreadly

• living the dream
      • Global Moderator
      • Raider
      « Reply #10 on: Jul 13, 2020, 11:36:58 am »
      Good luck with the recovery

House O Pain

• V Star
      « Reply #11 on: Jul 16, 2020, 08:09:39 pm »
      Man, I'm sorry about your broken bone but in all honesty as I read the account I was more concerned about that beautiful Raider getting damaged.  :-[

Amazing you were able to do all that riding with the broken bone.  I broke a collar bone in a motorcycle spill so I can relate. 

Get well soon. 

"A man's got to know his limitations"  Clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry

Badbluraider

• Warrior
      « Reply #12 on: Jul 19, 2020, 07:34:55 am »
      Sorry to hear Pastor. Thank the Lord it wasn't any worse and your wife was ok :praying: Praying for a speedy recovery on that broken shoulder. :)

heftysmurf

• Road Star
      « Reply #13 on: Jul 24, 2020, 03:57:05 pm »
      Damn.  Wishing you a speedy recover my brother.
      2011 Raider S