Author Topic: Lowering Kit Concern  (Read 734 times)

Mr Jones

• V Star
  • Referrals: 0
Lowering Kit Concern
« on: Jul 17, 2020, 05:46:05 am »
After a month I finally got my 0 - 2Ē adjustable lowering kit delivered from LA. All okay but Iím concerned that the turn buckle part of it is made from an aluminium alloy and not steel. Donít even want to think about it if I was riding at speed, hit a bump and those alloy threads stripped out. Anybody had any experience with this issue or am I just worrying about nothing?
Raider
904 Bonneville
XR1200

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

Zxdave

• SEA-ROAR
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 2
    Re: Lowering Kit Concern
    « Reply #1 on: Jul 17, 2020, 10:57:14 am »
    I think itíll be fine , but if you have a machine shop close to you take that one and have them make you one from steel !
    Lean till it grinds , then lean some more ..

Mr Jones

• V Star
    « Reply #2 on: Aug 13, 2020, 12:17:19 pm »
    I think itíll be fine , but if you have a machine shop close to you take that one and have them make you one from steel !

Aye, agree. Bought some stainless hex bar and machined them myself. Peace of mind....

Also turned out that the threaded rods supplied in the kit that I bought from LA (on Ebay), were too short and didn't fit an XV1900 Raider (even though that was how it was advertised!). Threaded rods were 160mm and should have been 185mm. Bought some stainless threaded bar and sorted that out. Kit now ready to go back in. The supplier was pretty cool about it and gave me 50% off so happy about that.
    Raider
    904 Bonneville
    XR1200

• Advertisement

Fiddles

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 1
      « Reply #3 on: Aug 13, 2020, 06:24:45 pm »
      I would not run those looks way to weak imo but its your bike and your  life
      V&H 2into1, Bullet cowl, Full Wrap front Fender, Ultimate  seat, Barons Tach, lowering bones and progressive spring, Ivan's flash, K&N filter with open air box, Avon Cobra Chrome  tires

the urban legend

• Raider
      « Reply #4 on: Aug 13, 2020, 09:11:35 pm »
      I ran these for years. The lowering links were just too low for me (scraping at every turn...even low speed) so I used mine to bring my 08 almost up to OEM stance.
      I'd rather die on a motorcycle than live without one.

heftysmurf

• Road Star
      « Reply #5 on: Aug 21, 2020, 11:23:47 pm »
      Those are the knockoff brand Black Forest.  The LA Chopper/Baron kits were all steel.
      2011 Raider S