Author Topic: Accessory Switch/Garage Door Opener Mod  (Read 1603 times)

MA Raider

• Road Star
  • Referrals: 0
Accessory Switch/Garage Door Opener Mod
« on: Aug 16, 2020, 05:52:54 pm »
Wondering if there are still any active members who did this mod.  I planned to do this a few years ago and finally “got around to it” yesterday but couldn’t get it working.  I ended up doing a quick hack job installing a button wired to the garage remote under the seat but it’s buried too deep for my liking and seems like it would be a stretch to reach when pulling up to the house.

I have a Chamberlain opener/remote that uses a 3 volt battery and does the rolling codes.  I believe I bought the correct part to connect to the harness in the headlight bucket.  I can’t remember where I ordered it from but it’s got the p/n written on the bag.  Anyway, without the battery attached to the remote, I couldn’t get any activity when tapping my wires to the various leads on the circuit board of the remote and trying the switch.  When I put the battery in the remote, it was triggering the door “weirdly” meaning it would activate without me hitting the switch and I swear at times with only one of the wires touching the circuit board. I didn’t want to solder anything until I figured out which of the contact points I needed to use so I held the wires while my son hit the switch.  Bike was not running at the time but it was switched on. 

Full disclosure, I know very little about wiring but I have 2 extra clickers so I’m not concerned if they get damaged in the process.  I’m fairly confident the connection I made to harness was good.  To get the momentary switch connected under the seat I soldered wires to two points on the board so I figured it would work the same with the accessory switch.  I believe the bike provides 12v from that switch based on what I read on the old posts so not sure if I need a relay or something.  No idea what I’m talking about tbh 😆 but ideally I’d like to see if the remote could be powered by the bike in which case I’d wrap it and leave it in the headlight bucket. If the remote battery is needed then I’ll stash it under the seat.

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

A.T.

• SEA-ROAR
    • Raider
    Re: Accessory Switch/Garage Door Opener Mod
    « Reply #1 on: Aug 16, 2020, 07:48:30 pm »
    I hate to say it but what you're doing is obsolete (IMHO).  You can buy a small "keyring" garage door opener or get a MyQ garage wifi system to use your phone to open the garage

But if you must:   If the remote uses 3 volts, running it on 12vdc will probably fry it.  You need to step down the voltage, maybe with a voltage regulator or a series of resistors.  Maybe then wire in the remote.

Maybe someone else can add their thoughts.  Good luck!
    « Last Edit: Aug 16, 2020, 07:53:40 pm by A.T. »

TRaider_John

• Patriot Guard Rider
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 5
    « Reply #2 on: Aug 16, 2020, 09:10:13 pm »
    I used to use the third button on my Chili’s cruise control to activate an opener in my headlight bucket. That was when you could solder the wires to contacts on the board.  Since we moved an have a more modern opener, I just carry a remote.

• Advertisement

MA Raider

• Road Star
      « Reply #3 on: Aug 17, 2020, 07:17:50 am »
      Yeah I’m sure it’s trivial to most but I‘m trying to avoid “carrying” the opener on my person.  I ride with a full face and use gloves at times so unlocking the phone while riding is a PITA to use the myQ app.  It’s easier to call on the Sena if someone’s home and have them open for me.  But I’ll be on the bike tomorrow so I’ll see how awkward it actually is to reach the button under the seat while I’m riding.  If it is, the key ring remote might be my best option.

A.T.

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #4 on: Aug 17, 2020, 07:24:45 am »
      Yeah I’m sure it’s trivial to most but I‘m trying to avoid “carrying” the opener on my person.  I ride with a full face and use gloves at times so unlocking the phone while riding is a PITA to use the myQ app.  It’s easier to call on the Sena if someone’s home and have them open for me.  But I’ll be on the bike tomorrow so I’ll see how awkward it actually is to reach the button under the seat while I’m riding.  If it is, the key ring remote might be my best option.

Lol....the challenges we face in the First World...ride safe!

Jargo

• Road Star
      « Reply #5 on: Aug 17, 2020, 10:21:49 am »
      I hate to say it but what you're doing is obsolete (IMHO).  You can buy a small "keyring" garage door opener or get a MyQ garage wifi system to use your phone to open the garage

But if you must:   If the remote uses 3 volts, running it on 12vdc will probably fry it.  You need to step down the voltage, maybe with a voltage regulator or a series of resistors.  Maybe then wire in the remote.

Maybe someone else can add their thoughts.  Good luck!

AT
      I wouldn't say obsolete, the purpose(for me) is when I roll up to my garage I just reach down and push the bottom, I dont have to stop and dig out my cell or keys. Also note I use a Digital Guard Dawg so my keys are in my pocket.

RangerRick

• Raider
      • Referrals: 1
      « Reply #6 on: Aug 17, 2020, 01:58:10 pm »
      2013 Can-Am Spyder ST-SE5
      ANG Member 25 years
      Retired Aug. 1, 2010

A.T.

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider

Dark Matter

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #8 on: Aug 17, 2020, 07:56:52 pm »
      I keep my garage door opener in a left cargo pant pocket or left jacket pocket with the button facing outward and simply push the button as I pull up to the house.
      The Star Cruiser “Dark Matter”; named in recognition of the attractive force theorized to exist as an explanation of balance in the universe.

“…if you can make beer in space, life in space will be possible… it is a shortage of beer in space that is holding back further space exploration.”  Dr Walsh 2009

Sgt Fury

• 2012 Raider SCL #188
      • Roadliner
      « Reply #9 on: Aug 17, 2020, 08:48:20 pm »
      I keep my garage door opener in a left cargo pant pocket or left jacket pocket with the button facing outward and simply push the button as I pull up to the house.

Exactly what I do with my small door opener!!   Simplicity works...   :cheers:
      « Last Edit: Aug 17, 2020, 08:52:07 pm by Sgt Fury »

There's no substitute for cubic inches and a good engine management system!   Hmmm, well maybe a blower, NOS or turbo....

cobaltss01

• 2015 Raider
      • Road Star
      « Reply #10 on: Aug 17, 2020, 10:18:34 pm »
      https://youtu.be/8dR6t2zCLaA
      that looks like it works pretty good. Wondering if I could get one with light brown hair.

RangerRick

• Raider
      « Reply #11 on: Aug 18, 2020, 08:39:15 am »
      https://youtu.be/8dR6t2zCLaA
      that looks like it works pretty good. Wondering if I could get one with light brown hair.
      :thinking: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
      2013 Can-Am Spyder ST-SE5
      ANG Member 25 years
      Retired Aug. 1, 2010

mitch1965

• Road Star
      « Reply #12 on: Sep 18, 2020, 03:17:27 pm »
      I just bought an extra key fob for the garage door opener, and keep it in my pocket where I can press it without actually getting it out. This way, I can easily move it to different coats, and also easier since I have 3 different motorcycles.
      Mitch1965
      40+ Motorcycle Club, Fort Collins CO

2014 Yamaha Raider SCL
      2016 Honda F6B Dlx
      1985 Honda V65 Sabre