Author Topic: Chesapeake Bay Bridge  (Read 249 times)

Kevs UK Raider SCL

• UK Raider SCL #300
  • Roadliner
  • Referrals: 1
Chesapeake Bay Bridge
« on: Sep 08, 2020, 01:42:14 pm »
Hi Guys

When we arrive in the US next July for another road trip, we will be shipping our bikes into Baltimore, and riding across in Deleware and down into NC before heading for Maggie Valley and the Rally.

We intend to ride over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge but can someone tell me what the toll charges are and how we pay them.

Remember we wont have an EZ Pass or anything so can someone let me know how we can pay on the day (one-way)???

Thanks
One of only around 65 or so Raider Owners in the UK

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

dukedomain

• SEA-ROAR
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 0
    Re: Chesapeake Bay Bridge
    « Reply #1 on: Sep 08, 2020, 08:42:04 pm »
    Kev, the toll is $4.50 per bike.

dukedomain

• SEA-ROAR
    • Raider
    « Reply #2 on: Sep 08, 2020, 09:03:27 pm »
    Kev,

I just talked with my sister who lives up there.  She told me the bridge is now cashless and the only two ways to pay is with EZ  pass or they will bill you by taking a photo of your plate, haha good luck with that.  I’d just ride through, there is no booth, not manned at all. 

When they went cashless the rates changed also, if they bill by mail it’s $6.00

Check this out,
    https://www.wbaltv.com/article/bay-bridge-cashless-tolling-goes-live-may-12/32375511
    « Last Edit: Sep 08, 2020, 09:05:23 pm by dukedomain »

• Advertisement

Badbluraider

• Warrior
      « Reply #3 on: Sep 08, 2020, 09:16:23 pm »
      Kev, the toll is $4.50 per bike.
      I believe he is speaking of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel if they are going through Delaware. I am from Delaware originally and traveled both bridges many times. If it is the CBB Tunnel think it's about $18 during that time of the year and you can pay with cash, credit card, apple pay, google pay and of course EZ Pass. I believe you pay on the south end of the bridge no matter if you are heading north or coming south as you will be Kev...

Pir8

• DE, MD, Northern VA and South Eastern PA Riders
      • V Star
      « Reply #4 on: Sep 08, 2020, 10:27:57 pm »
      Kev,

1st: Get an easy pass. Or two.  One for each bike. Giant supermarkets carry them.  They come pre-loaded with 25 dollars, and they are super easy to set up and will save you money on the trip. 

2nd: Since the tolls are prone to change, here's what you need:
      Chesapeake Bay Bridge (this goes from Annapolis to Kent Island/Eastern MD/Delaware): https://baybridge.maryland.gov/
      Chesapeake Bay Bridge AND TUNNEL (This one connects VA with... more VA): www.ccbt.com

Both have toll schedules, CCBT has a calculator. 

3rd: I live near Annapolis, and I'm from NC (I may actually hop on the bike and ride down there tomorrow to see my parents on the OBX). Hit me up and we can ride together. 

Acronym decoder:
      NC: North Carolina. The heat is cancelled out by the best pork bbq anywhere.
      OBX: Outer Banks (Outer BanX), the best part of NC (See above).
      MD: Murderland, home of Bodymore, Murderland. The murder is balanced out by the best crabcakes anywhere.
      VA: Virginia, it's for lovers. But not for lovers of speed.  These cops are dicks.  Radar detectors are illegal and they don't like the 4th amendment and all that "due process" crap. Speed is enforced by attack helicopter.

EDIT: "Giant" is a brand of supermarket, like Sainsbury's I realised after I posted that it looked like I was saying "giant supermarkets" vs "Giant(tm) Supermarkets". 

« Last Edit: Sep 08, 2020, 10:30:23 pm by Pir8 »

Kevs UK Raider SCL

• UK Raider SCL #300
      • Roadliner
      • Referrals: 1
      « Reply #5 on: Sep 09, 2020, 06:27:23 am »
      For the record, we are shipping our bikes into Baltimore, MD and riding south across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge, staying over in DE somewhere, then the next day riding south through the Chesapeake Bay Tunnel.

I know there are tolls for both but as we are from the UK, wondered if it's difficult to get an EZ pass as will they require a US address to buy one?

If there are no booths and nobody manning them, we'll just ride through as our UK tags won't register in the US

If they are manned, we don't want to be held up at gunpoint either so tough one.

Thanks for the replies and humour
      One of only around 65 or so Raider Owners in the UK

dukedomain

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #6 on: Sep 09, 2020, 09:31:16 pm »
      Pir8 makes a couple good points.  Once crossing the Bay Bridge onto Kent Island there are some great restaurants that feature Chesapeake Bay seafood, truly the best seafood in the world.  I love Fisherman's Inn 3116 Main St, Grasonville, MD 21638 and the cream of crab soup or “she crab soup” and the flounder and crab cakes.  There are also a few crab shacks there and if you’ve never had MD blue crabs, please try them before heading to NC because once south of the VA NC border you find Blue crabs steamed like that.