Author Topic: New guy with a few questions  (Read 833 times)

Cbibb

• V Star
  • Referrals: 0
New guy with a few questions
« on: Sep 26, 2020, 09:16:49 pm »
Hey guys I just picked up a 2008 Raider with 16,000 miles. It has a cobra exhaust and a Power Commander 3. Other than that it's stock. I've been searching the site a little bit and found the link to download the manual which is awesome. I do all of my own maintenance on my bikes but this is my first V-Twin. I come from a inline 4 background. I still have a ZX-14 drag bike and a ZX-14 street bike.
With any bite new to me I want to go through the bike completely. I'm going to do an oil change with Filter. Flush all the breaks and clutch. New air filter. And want to change the transfer case oil (i believe thats what the manual called it lol). As you can see that is definitely new territory for me. Is there a better transfer case fluid to get than others? Also is there a preferred spark plug to use on these bikes?
I noticed while taking it apart today that the crankcase breather runs up underneath the driver seat and all the wires and electronics had a coating of oil on them from the filter that was disgusting. Is that factory? Or did someone run the crankcase breather under the seat like that? I also saw in the manual and oil tank breather but I can't seem to find mine. So far I'm loving the site and glad to be here. Hopefully my newbie questions don't get on your nerves. Thanks for any input or advice

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

RangerRick

• Raider
    • Referrals: 1
    Re: New guy with a few questions
    « Reply #1 on: Sep 26, 2020, 09:52:49 pm »
    Welcome to the Forum. Here is a link to a site that has some useful info. http://www.raiderperformance.com/index.htm But because the Raider is no longer made, aftermarket stuff is drying up. I ran Iridium plugs on mine cause I did not like changing stock plugs so often, as for Breather I'm pretty sure that is not stock. I'm sure someone with more know how will chime in. Make sure you understand the correct method of filling the Transfer case oil, more than one guy filled it up to the large fill plug, which is way too full. :o A lot of us on here had Ivans Performance flash the ECU, which made the bike more pleasant to ride.

http://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com/ecu.htm
    2013 Can-Am Spyder ST-SE5
    ANG Member 25 years
    Retired Aug. 1, 2010

Badbluraider

• Raider
    « Reply #2 on: Sep 26, 2020, 10:04:53 pm »
    Welcome to the forum from Tulsa, OK. ;D

I have a 14 with 17k miles so I have yet to change plugs. However probably would go with E3's if not NGK's.

Sounds like your bike has a BAK air set up which from what I understand needs a puke can for the excess oil to go into otherwise it will end up with what sounds like you have.

Good luck and I am sure someone will chime in that know about BAK.

• Advertisement

Cbibb

• V Star
      « Reply #3 on: Sep 26, 2020, 10:12:54 pm »
      Thanks guys! Im still surfing and searching finding ALOT of info! Great site!! Found the thread about the ivans flash but didnt see anything about pricing. Any idea what it costs? Thanks

Zekester

• Road Star
      « Reply #4 on: Sep 27, 2020, 03:49:23 am »
      Cost is $350+shipping.  I had Ivan do mine from a 2012 model and would do it again if I had another Raider.
      Zeke
      USMC
      1971-1973
      2012 SCL #8

Cbibb

• V Star
      « Reply #5 on: Sep 27, 2020, 07:04:02 am »
      Thank you!! That will be getting done for sure. The ecu is flashed on both my zx14s. I had no idea they did that for these bikes. Really woke up my gen 2 zx14 by alot. Seems like it does the same for these.

Badbluraider

• Raider
      « Reply #6 on: Sep 27, 2020, 12:16:26 pm »
      Yeah definitely get your ECU flashed by Ivan. Give him a ring and let him run what you are running as far as mods and he will flash it according to your exact set up the day he gets it and send right back to you. Tried to get him to flash my 16 VMax but he doesn't do them anymore but I found Tim Nash who is a big VMax guru. Ivan's a great guy and will answer any question you may have. I was just running V&H 2in2, K&N with no lid and PCV. After his Version 2 of the flash I took the PCV off completely it was not needed. More low end in 1st, 2nd and maybe third and more ;D