Author Topic: white smoke  (Read 821 times)

srbrems

• V Star
  • Referrals: 0
white smoke
« on: Oct 03, 2020, 05:54:32 pm »
Bowing white smoke and using some oil on 2009 Raider.  19,xxx miles.  Dealer did scope on pistons, compression check etc.  Said they need to Decarbon the engine and new plugs.  Said there is a build up of carbon on components and oil is not flowing and is burning to cause smoke.  Had Yamaha's, Honda, BSA in past, nothing like this.  Any suggestions?
Steve

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

A.T.

• SEA-ROAR
    • Raider
    Re: white smoke
    « Reply #1 on: Oct 03, 2020, 06:46:51 pm »
    White smoke usually means running rich.  Can't talk to the rest - have heard of doing a valve job to remove carbon deposits off head/valves on car engines but not on a bike with <20K miles - maybe someone can weigh in on that.  Certainly you should replace the plugs, especially if they're the originals - if the plugs are fouled, that would cause inadequate fuel burn.   

Clayton

• Mmm...🍺 Beer
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 2
    « Reply #2 on: Oct 05, 2020, 06:48:56 am »
    If itís just on startup and smoke goes away after a few minutes then your valve guides and seals letting oil drip on top of the piston. If itís blowing smoke after itís warmed up and keeps smoking your burning oil past the piston Rings and cylinder wall. White/blueish smoke is definitely oil burning! If bike was running rich from fuel it will be black smoke!

• Advertisement

Pir8

• DE, MD, Northern VA and South Eastern PA Riders
      • V Star
      « Reply #3 on: Oct 05, 2020, 04:45:29 pm »
      Well, it's definitely not coolant!  8)

Dirtiegirtie

• Road Star
      « Reply #4 on: Oct 05, 2020, 08:36:45 pm »
      What kind of oil do you use? Just wondering so I know what to stay away from. Not trying to be a dick, I just have never heard of a Raider with less than 20k having oil related issues like this so want to avoid it.

ZEUS67

• Road Star
      « Reply #5 on: Oct 06, 2020, 01:50:28 pm »
       :umno:
      Well, it's definitely not coolant! 

:agree:

TRaider_John

• Patriot Guard Rider
      • Global Moderator
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 5
      « Reply #6 on: Oct 07, 2020, 03:53:36 pm »
      Is it smoke or water vapor?  If it's vapor, it's normal. 

SLK

• Global Moderator
      • Raider
      « Reply #7 on: Oct 10, 2020, 02:40:49 pm »
      I live a much cooler climate than most here and quite often on start up I get a mild while exhaust,  it happens on all of my vehicles.  When really cold it it never goes away.  It is condensation.  So if a vehicles is burning oil it is also white but the easy way to tell if you are burning oil or if it is condensation is the aroma of the exhaust.  It will have an oily smell.  A second test we use is is putting your had in the exhaust stream.  If it is condensation your had will collect moisture.  As for low oil how low is it?  Air cooled engines are built with wider tolerances than liquid cooled.  Upon start up a bit of oil will leak pst rings and seals.  On average I expect to see about a half cup to one one cup oil loss.  As for carbon build up that is caused by incomplete combustion meaning you are running a bit rich appently rich enough to cause carbon build up not enough to cause black smoke. 
      SLK   I ride a Yamaha because I prefer to ride the best

srbrems

• V Star
      « Reply #8 on: Oct 20, 2020, 04:13:19 pm »
      What kind of oil do you use? Just wondering so I know what to stay away from. Not trying to be a dick, I just have never heard of a Raider with less than 20k having oil related issues like this so want to avoid it.

Using Yamaha oil.

heftysmurf

• Road Star
      « Reply #9 on: Nov 03, 2020, 02:58:50 pm »

Using Yamaha oil.
      You were asked several questions like when does it smoke....start up?  Only on start up? Not on start up but when warm?  Does it persist?
      How long have you had this bike?
      What are the mods?
      2011 Raider S