Author Topic: Running a little rough  (Read 1170 times)

leondegrance

• Road Star
  • Referrals: 0
Running a little rough
« on: Oct 12, 2020, 05:30:08 pm »
Need a little advice.

My raider is running a little rough on acceleration, and I have been running some seafoam through it to see if it is a fuel issue, but I can still feel it.  I have the checked the onboard diag for any error codes, but I have none.  Before I go through the normal thoughts of changing plugs and air filter, any other things I should look at?

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

Dirtiegirtie

• Road Star
    Re: Running a little rough
    « Reply #1 on: Oct 12, 2020, 05:51:48 pm »
    Can you explain 'rough' a little better? Is there a hiccup where the throttle seems to cut out for a split second or maybe a certain RPM range where it seems to pull much weaker than normal or she suddenly surges in and out?

Ares X

• Administrator
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 7
    « Reply #2 on: Oct 12, 2020, 07:28:04 pm »
    Does it run worse when the fuel gets down around 1/4 tank?

• Advertisement

leondegrance

• Road Star
      « Reply #3 on: Oct 12, 2020, 07:38:04 pm »
      Can you explain 'rough' a little better? Is there a hiccup where the throttle seems to cut out for a split second or maybe a certain RPM range where it seems to pull much weaker than normal or she suddenly surges in and out?

No hiccups or cut outs.  Rough acceleration that I feel it in the throttle, almost like lugging a bike.

leondegrance

• Road Star
      « Reply #4 on: Oct 12, 2020, 07:39:29 pm »

Umm... no.  My gut says its fuel related for some reason, maybe a bad plug or something gummed up.

A.T.

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #5 on: Oct 12, 2020, 08:12:17 pm »

Umm... no.  My gut says its fuel related for some reason, maybe a bad plug or something gummed up.

Sounds like ignition - replace the plugs

leondegrance

• Road Star
      « Reply #6 on: Oct 12, 2020, 08:34:17 pm »

Sounds like ignition - replace the plugs

Yeah... I was leaning that way.  I think I put iridiums in the last time, but I might go back to the NGK DPR8EA-9.

Coldfinger

• Roadliner
      « Reply #7 on: Oct 12, 2020, 09:27:50 pm »
      I bought mine used and it already had a pc5 and LA Choppers pipes.  It didnt run quite right and I figured it was from lack of use since it was a few years old and only 1200 miles so I ran a lot of Sea Foam thru it, maybe 3 tanks worth, then took it to the dealer who sold it to me.   

They said the pc5 was bad and disconnected it.   Problem solved.

Months later, I was curious about the pc5 and called the manufacturer.   They asked me what firmware version I had and yada yada, they updated it, I reconnected it, and it ran fine.

Also, one time I noticed it wasnt running right and the battery connections were loose.   

leondegrance

• Road Star
      « Reply #8 on: Oct 12, 2020, 09:44:46 pm »
      I bought mine used and it already had a pc5 and LA Choppers pipes.  It didnt run quite right and I figured it was from lack of use since it was a few years old and only 1200 miles so I ran a lot of Sea Foam thru it, maybe 3 tanks worth, then took it to the dealer who sold it to me.   

They said the pc5 was bad and disconnected it.   Problem solved.

Months later, I was curious about the pc5 and called the manufacturer.   They asked me what firmware version I had and yada yada, they updated it, I reconnected it, and it ran fine.

Also, one time I noticed it wasnt running right and the battery connections were loose.

I have a PC5, and didn't think to disconnect it, but I am more interested in the update now.  Did you have to send it to them to update it?

Edit:  So I just updated my PC5 firmware from 1.2 to 1.14.2, and resent the map for my setup.  Maybe I will take it for a spin tomorrow when I go to get my plugs.

I also checked the battery connections, and they are tight.
      « Last Edit: Oct 12, 2020, 10:47:30 pm by leondegrance »

Dirtiegirtie

• Road Star
      « Reply #9 on: Oct 13, 2020, 10:34:27 am »
      FYI - I believe AresX was asking about the 'low fuel' question because the symptoms kinda align with the well-known fuel pump housing crack issue. Basically, just as you said, the engine is not recieving quite enough fuel when the crack begins (as I understand it).

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      « Reply #10 on: Oct 13, 2020, 10:41:33 am »
      FYI - I believe AresX was asking about the 'low fuel' question because the symptoms kinda align with the well-known fuel pump housing crack issue. Basically, just as you said, the engine is not recieving quite enough fuel when the crack begins (as I understand it).

Exactly!

If you change plugs and it only helps for a short time, then I would start looking at the fuel pump. Also keep track of what the fuel gauge is showing when it's running poorly.  Mine would run just fine on a full tank in the morning, but would run poorly on my way home from work. I had a 45 mile ride one way, so by the time I was getting close to home I was down to around 1/4 tank.

leondegrance

• Road Star
      « Reply #11 on: Oct 13, 2020, 01:50:09 pm »
      Update:  So after the firmware update, resending of the map for my setup from Dynojet, and recalibrating the throttle sensor via the PC5, the bike is running a ton better.  Idle and acceleration are significantly smoother.  I am going to go for a longer run later, but everything is looking promising right now.

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      « Reply #12 on: Oct 13, 2020, 01:58:17 pm »
      CONGRATS!!!