Author Topic: Fuel pump maintenance  (Read 267 times)

Mrzee

• V Star
  • Referrals: 0
Fuel pump maintenance
« on: Oct 16, 2020, 01:31:09 pm »
Hello,
I came across a YouTube video from an Ukrainian guy who took out his fuel pump (stratoliner) and replaced the fuel strainer from the pump.
From what I see in the video he replaces the filter with a compatible one Yunxin=Toyota 23217-16451 fuel filter.
He also shows what came out from the old filter and states that because the filter gets dirty it forces the fuel pump and all sorts of S#$%T happens.
Did anyone try this maintenance procedure or is it worth doing?
Here is the link, it s in ukranian, but the video speaks for itself .https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoFWM8zQkGw

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

A.T.

• SEA-ROAR
    • Raider
    Re: Fuel pump maintenance
    « Reply #1 on: Oct 16, 2020, 05:24:54 pm »
    Never tried this, but maybe the fuel in the Ukraine is particularly bad. 

I'd not mess with the pump unless I had an issue.  Pulling the pump isn't a big job, but I'm not sure cleaning the filter (per the video) would save the fuel pump from the common failure issue - cracks in the housing.

marcelmot

• Roadliner
    « Reply #2 on: Oct 17, 2020, 03:27:57 am »
    Yes, the meaning of the video has nothing to do with the cracks.
    But, I always tought that fuel filter, fuel pump itself and the housing cannot be separated.
    This can be a very useful info, in case your filter is dirty, due to a gas tank repair for instance.
    My life it's an endless fight against maturity.
    "You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."

• Advertisement

Kevs UK Raider SCL

• UK Raider SCL #300
      • Roadliner
      • Referrals: 1
      « Reply #3 on: Oct 17, 2020, 04:43:20 am »
      Interesting, but I somehow doubt it would make much difference to be honest.
      I have known a few pumps go bad here in the UK. One on a trip to Germany and another a year or so later in the UK.
      When changing them, make sure you replace it with a decent make pump as some are sold are cheap and don't last. I recall that Mitsubishi are the standard ones and generally are ok.

Like someone has said, the housing that the pump sits in often cracks whereby you lose fuel pressure, so don't buy a pump before checking this. It's normally a hair line crack down a seem.

The filter mentioned in the youtube clip may well be an upgrade on the standard one, but unlikely to make the pump last longer in my opinion.

The common concensus suggests that running the bike low on fuel (running on reserve) often seems to put added pressure on the pump and eventually breaks down.

Personally, I've not actually seen a cracked pump housing but have seen two bad pumps.

One of only around 65 or so Raider Owners in the UK

Mrzee

• V Star
      « Reply #4 on: Oct 17, 2020, 09:58:48 am »
      Main ideea and why i posted was that clogged filters or very dirty ones have a negative impact on every part that uses filtration.
      I will do a filter change and post some pictures of the result.
      If i brake it, i m counting on you Kevin to help me find a spare. Lol

Kevs UK Raider SCL

• UK Raider SCL #300
      • Roadliner
      • Referrals: 1
      « Reply #5 on: Oct 17, 2020, 01:07:07 pm »
      Main ideea and why i posted was that clogged filters or very dirty ones have a negative impact on every part that uses filtration.
      I will do a filter change and post some pictures of the result.
      If i brake it, i m counting on you Kevin to help me find a spare. Lol

;D  :raider:
      One of only around 65 or so Raider Owners in the UK