Author Topic: Front tire recommendation  (Read 1924 times)

rattle_snake

• Get to the 'choppa!
  • V Star
  • Referrals: 0
Front tire recommendation
« on: Nov 09, 2020, 11:36:40 am »
Need a new front tire.  Running Avon Cobra 240/40 in rear, old Metzler 880 on front.  In AZ so dry, hot climate. 

Please recommend a front tire, thanks.
09 Raider Raven, PC, K&N, V&H pipes, 240, lowered, fork ext, swing arm saddle bag, and stuff.

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

Ares X

• Administrator
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 7
    Re: Front tire recommendation
    « Reply #1 on: Nov 09, 2020, 01:14:15 pm »
    I like my tires to match, so I go with Avon in the front as well.

rattle_snake

• Get to the 'choppa!
    • V Star
    « Reply #2 on: Nov 09, 2020, 02:29:33 pm »
    Thanks Ares, that was my first thought as well.  Looks like there is a new style of their cobra line, now 'cobra chrome'.  Side wall lettering is a bit much but in 120/70-21 there isn't a lot of sidewall
    09 Raider Raven, PC, K&N, V&H pipes, 240, lowered, fork ext, swing arm saddle bag, and stuff.

• Advertisement

dukedomain

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #3 on: Nov 09, 2020, 05:53:15 pm »
      I like my tires to match, so I go with Avon in the front as well.

What Dan said.  I like mine to match too.  Having said that, Avon has had a bit of quality control problems.  I’ve had tread separation on two front tires and one tire ordered from Dennis Kirk would not fit on the rim.  Fiddles is now the owner of that tire, I guess he wanted a challenge, don’t know if he’s tried to mount it yet. 

Others here have experienced tread separation as well.  I’m going Michelin on my next set.

Badbluraider

• Raider
      « Reply #4 on: Nov 09, 2020, 08:58:04 pm »
      I always like to have matching front and rear. After the original Metz I put the first set of Avon Cobra's on. Really like their ride and how they stick therefore in May I was needing another set so I put the Cobra Chrome's on front and back. I have Chrome on the rear of my VMax and a Avon Spirit on the front, they do not make a Cobra Chrome for the front of the VMax. I will say at the end of the tread life on the Avon Cobra's I did have some splotches where rubber had peeled off about half way between center and the edge of the tread. I drive very aggressively in turns and twisty's not using any brake unless in a dire situation therefore this was probably 80-90% me but I have never had a tire do that but also I have never pushed a 740 lb. bike this hard before in turns. ;D

dukedomain

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #5 on: Nov 09, 2020, 09:09:40 pm »
      I hope that pic is what your tire looked like when you replaced it and you’re not riding on it now!  :yikes:

Badbluraider

• Raider
      « Reply #6 on: Nov 09, 2020, 09:17:23 pm »
      I hope that pic is what your tire looked like when you replaced it and you’re not riding on it now!  :yikes:
      Believe me when I saw that I jacked it up and pulled the wheels off and put them in the trunk to be replaced. Had I known I would have never pushed it on the last ride. They were worn but pushing the front into turns on the last ride did this. Had to count my blessings after seeing this. :praying: :praying: :praying:

Fiddles

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 1
      « Reply #7 on: Nov 09, 2020, 09:44:52 pm »
      Believe me when I saw that I jacked it up and pulled the wheels off and put them in the trunk to be replaced. Had I known I would have never pushed it on the last ride. They were worn but pushing the front into turns on the last ride did this. Had to count my blessings after seeing this. :praying: :praying: :praying:
      getting your money's worth there Mark or pushing your luck?
      Freedom Performance  Sharp Curves Bullet cowl, Full Wrap front Fender, RC Savage Eclipse wheels, Ultimate  seat, Autometer  Pro Cycle
      Tach, lowering bones and progressive spring, Ivan's flash, K&N filter with open air box, Avon Cobra Chrome  tires

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      « Reply #8 on: Nov 10, 2020, 10:00:28 am »
      I was not aware the Cobra Chromes had any issues.  I haven't been riding as much lately and haven't needed tires in a while.
      « Last Edit: Nov 18, 2020, 09:53:39 am by Ares X »

Badbluraider

• Raider
      « Reply #9 on: Nov 10, 2020, 07:14:11 pm »
      getting your money's worth there Mark or pushing your luck?
      :agree: Yeah think I was definitely pushing my luck Todd...

Badbluraider

• Raider
      « Reply #10 on: Nov 18, 2020, 06:41:46 am »
      I was not aware the Cobra Chromes had any issues.  I haven't been riding as much lately and haven't needed tires in a while.
      Just to clarify my issue was not with the new Chrome's but with the regular Cobra's b4 Chrome's came out.
      « Last Edit: Nov 18, 2020, 09:53:31 am by Ares X »

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      « Reply #11 on: Nov 18, 2020, 09:54:48 am »
      Just to clarify my issue was not with the new Chrome's but with the regular Cobra's b4 Chrome's came out.

Oh good!  You had me worried since both my wife and I will probably need new tires before long.   I can't say I ever had any issues with the Cobras.

cobaltss01

• 2015 Raider
      • Road Star
      « Reply #12 on: Nov 23, 2020, 02:51:38 pm »
      I usually get 12500 out of the avon front and rear tires. I had 1 michelin commander II and it was absolute garbage. Wore like I rode on a flat tire and only lasted 8000miles.

sscottab

• Road Star
      « Reply #13 on: Nov 29, 2020, 07:47:15 am »
      i use to run the michelin c2 and would only get about 6k out of a rear and 9k out of a front. the front would chop on me every time with the c2, iam now running the avon cobra chrome front and rear with about 4k on them so far doing good.

Badbluraider

• Raider
      « Reply #14 on: Nov 29, 2020, 08:20:05 am »
      i use to run the michelin c2 and would only get about 6k out of a rear and 9k out of a front. the front would chop on me every time with the c2, iam now running the avon cobra chrome front and rear with about 4k on them so far doing good.
      Think I still got over 8K out of the regular Cobra's. This is the first bike that I will wear a front out before the rear. Between the Oklahoma roads and pushing hard into turns it chews the front up pretty good.