Author Topic: Stock NGK plugs  (Read 710 times)

MCking 3243

• V Star
  • Referrals: 0
Stock NGK plugs
« on: Nov 20, 2020, 11:49:34 am »
I'm running stock NGK plugs in my Raider (2009)
Started her up the other day and noticed it took a few more cranks to get her running. Checked the plugs and I found them to be dirtier than usual. They were black and seemed wet all the way up the threads to. Replaced them, rode the bike about 60 miles and pulled them again and found a Rusty red tip. The 60 mile ride was in town. Bike was sluggish, shifts felt cumbersome and awkward. Idle at a red light was high when I first stopped, would come to normal then erratic up and down in rpm's. Temp felt higher than normal. I've turned a few wrenches in my past but I'm new to the metric cruisers. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

A.T.

• SEA-ROAR
    • Raider
    Re: Stock NGK plugs
    « Reply #1 on: Nov 20, 2020, 09:29:57 pm »
    Did you replace all four plugs?  And are all the plug wire caps seated properly on each plug?

Fuel quality?  Maybe run some SeaFoam through the tank

Do you have a fuel controller?  If so, fully disconnect the controller and ride the bike.  My PC-V crapped out and the bike ran poorly.

In my experience, "More cranks to get her running" is a Raider thing - especially in cold weather.   But for the rough running/unstable idle, worst case is fuel pump.  Obviously check the easy issues first.

MCking 3243

• V Star
    Re: Stock NGK plugs
    « Reply #2 on: Nov 20, 2020, 09:42:55 pm »
    Thanks for all the replies! yes I replaced all 4 plugs. Took the advice got some seafoam today, hope it helps. I have a Power commander V, I removed it from the bike about a week ago. I'm not completely convinced it has really done me any good at all. Not because it's faulty or a gimmick, I'm not educated enough on its programming to see results... Does anyone think I could have coil or any other electrical issues? Today while riding it felt like it was not firing on a cylinder and missing. I can make a stop then fire her back up and she will run great then back to missing after 5 or 15 minutes later. It's sparatic and random. Thanks again for all the suggestions and advice, I really appreciate it!!