Author Topic: Thanks For ROM, aug 2013..... missed it.............................  (Read 819 times)

the_grider

• If you can get it to sit still.......... Paint It!
  • 2013 ROM Winner
  • V Star
  • Referrals: 0
Thank you all.............. Missed it...... Got Knocked down 1rst time Mar 2013...... Car changing lanes across double line coming off freeway. Young kid, I did a lane check...... nothing there.... then he's about 6 in. from me. I was doing 45, full face Scorpion, gauntletted gloves, steel toed boots and armored Icon leather jacket.  Not 1 scratch..... but did get a flayed chest from slamming the concrete, ( That was 5 ribs with mult breaks) 2 days intensive care, 5 days with a tube in my chest hooked to a vac pump..... Got out, insurance payed, I did all my own repairs and upgrades! Bike was better than new! Forward controls, dual oil coolers, new same pipes, and an unknpwn number of red leds.... none showing! LOL Was riding within 2 weeks of hospitol release, and continued to be a daily rider as long as not raining when I left my house, and above 47 degrees. 25 Miles to work one way. Continued for almost exactly2 years, when knocked down again by and SUV that changed lanes in rush hr traffic doing 65mph.... never slowed down or looked back. Again totally geared up, Scorpion helmet and Icon jacket again saved my life, of course the people around me being able to stop and not run over me were also a big help. Bike flipped and threw me up in the air and I curled up in a ball and rolled next to the bike. After bike hit the pavement and slid another 75', I had a split knee, but no other injuries except toe kicking steel toe in boot. Eventually lost toenail. Was unable to get insurance to give me a clear title, so took my 10k loss and moved on, My 3 sons still had their bikes, so I did a very minor amount of riding....Won't ever be the same..... too scared of rolling down the highway again! LOL I wish all of you SAFE riding and please gear up! I would be dead twice, neither my fault except for safety gear! I miss riding,,,, but afraid 2 times was enough..... You know what they say.... Third times the charm...... Gonna have to pass! Ride Safe!

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

A.T.

• SEA-ROAR
    • Raider
    Wow!  Glad you are still here with us.  Totally understand and agree with your rationale and decision - I'd take "twice" as message received.

Happy Thanksgiving and God Bless

Ares X

• Administrator
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 7
    DAMN!!!

You got to do what feels right. Glad all is okay.

• Advertisement

dreadly

• living the dream
      • Global Moderator
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 1
      Quite the story, but I agree, twice would be enough. They can now be stories to tell to help others understand the value of gearing up.

Zxdave

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 2
      Glad to hear you are ok after those , been there done that a few times (tube in lungs and all) no fun !
      Iím still on two wheels and will continue for years to come God willing !

I had a lady back in 2003 run over me literally with a Jeep Cherokee, her back tire ran over my bike then my chest . After I was out hospital I went to Ohio to test drive my next bike with my right arm still in a sling lol .

Lean till it grinds , then lean some more ..

the_grider

• If you can get it to sit still.......... Paint It!
      • 2013 ROM Winner
      • V Star
      Glad everyone that has had similar falls is ok! And thanks for all the responses! I do preach gearing up, I still have My Icon jacket, Can't even really tell its been down twice! I swear by them! LOL and Scorpion helmets. Both falls right side helmet and visor saved Me! Ride safe!

dukedomain

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      Glad to hear you are ok after those , been there done that a few times (tube in lungs and all) no fun !

I had a lady back in 2003 run over me literally with a Jeep Cherokee, her back tire ran over my bike then my chest . After I was out hospital I went to Ohio to test drive my next bike with my right arm still in a sling lol .

Yeah but everyone knows you like a cyborg.

Zxdave

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider

Yeah but everyone knows you like a cyborg.

Lol man , too many more of those incidents and I will have more metal in me then the terminator !
      Lean till it grinds , then lean some more ..

Ron505

• SEA-ROAR Member
      • Raider
      Good to hear from you again, and great to know that you are still around to tell your story.  Don't blame you a bit. 
      I refuse to tiptoe through life, only to arrive at death safely.

StrykerBilly

• Warrior
      Glad to hear you are fine.  Love my Scorpion helmets but would prefer to never see how they work in a crash!!
      And, for me, the 1st time might have been enough.  People just don't pay attention now-a-days.
      Smartphones are a big part of the problem but, honestly, my touchscreens in the cars are a large distraction for doing pretty simple things like changing a friggin radio station!!

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      Re: Thanks For ROM, aug 2013..... missed it.............................
      « Reply #10 on: Nov 30, 2020, 01:38:00 pm »
      Glad to hear you are fine.  Love my Scorpion helmets but would prefer to never see how they work in a crash!!
      And, for me, the 1st time might have been enough.  People just don't pay attention now-a-days.
      Smartphones are a big part of the problem but, honestly, my touchscreens in the cars are a large distraction for doing pretty simple things like changing a friggin radio station!!

Don't you have radio controls on your steering wheel? That's what I use.

StrykerBilly

• Warrior
      « Reply #11 on: Nov 30, 2020, 04:58:04 pm »

Don't you have radio controls on your steering wheel? That's what I use.

Yes, on all but the Colorado WT(compromise there as the better LT trim basically needed 4x4 unless I ordered and was bouncing against a rebate deadline...).  Still, getting to say a specific station is a constant distraction.  Granted, I should use more of the voice commands but I doubt others are either.  Learning those voice commands and practicing/testing takes time that people just don't want to do IMO...

I do love the AA interface and the ability to say "Drive to X address" and it just does it.  Mind blowing voice recognition as well as integration and I'm an IT guy...
      That said, there are still things that should be done before driving and people aren't getting that.  Just today, I saw a vehicle approach an intersection and abruptly change from going right to left and shifting lanes.  Unsure why but if you were in the wrong spot at the wrong time you were toast considering 700lbs vs. 3500+lbs...

My wife's 2014 Escape has small buttons to increase/decrease the fan speed which are hard to find vs. a simple knob.  Again, granted, I think it is embedded in the voice controls but still seems clumsy to me...

CHROMINATOR

• MSgt USMC Retired - Patriot Guard Rider
      • SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #12 on: Dec 15, 2020, 05:02:59 pm »
      You got to do what you got to do... Glad you're still with us to tell the stories.  Gear up to the max, I never ride without my gear.