Author Topic: Best Way to Reduce Tank Scratches?  (Read 1077 times)

Coldfinger

• Roadliner
  • Referrals: 0
Best Way to Reduce Tank Scratches?
« on: Dec 11, 2020, 09:06:16 am »
For those people who are concerned about marring their fuel tank finish due to your knees rubbing on tank, what ideas have you tried and what do you suggest?

I have a black tank which doesnt have the oem chrome strips on the tank sides. 

I think keeping it waxed helps, but looking for a little more protection.   

Things I have considered:
Plastidipping the contact area on each side of tank.  Would like an oval but not sure how I would tape it off in that pattern to get a near perfect oval shape.

Install 3m protective film in that area.

Maybe install some kind of aftermarket rubber pad for tanks, if they make it.

?

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 20
    Re: Best Way to Reduce Tank Scratches?
    « Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2020, 09:55:25 am »
    How tall are you - I'm 6' 1" and my knees never touch the tank - plus I rode with my feet on the highway pegs.

Dirtiegirtie

• Road Star
    « Reply #2 on: Dec 11, 2020, 09:59:41 am »
    I would avoid plasi-dip. I don't think it will hold up to any consistent rubbing.

I repainted my Triumph a few months back. The sides of the tank are not a second color, they are just vinyl wrap cut to shape.

If you wanted to do something like that:
    1. Cover tank with blue painter's tape
    2. Use a marker to outline your design
    3. Put tape on cardbaord
    4. Cut cardboard and tape along line you made with marker
    - You now have a great template for cutting your vinyl wrap! Want a mirror image for the other side? Flip your template over!

Maybe use flat black and make a 'flame' design?

Just a thought. I'm with RK - My knees rarely contact my tank when I ride.

• Advertisement

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 7
      « Reply #3 on: Dec 11, 2020, 10:19:07 am »
      Plasti-dip should hold up fine as long as you don't drip gasoline on it. It does not handle petroleum products at all. The nice thing is you can smooth it out with paint thinner and re-apply a couple of coats of Plasti-dip and your good again.  I Plasti-dipped all of the tins on my first bike after it started hitting high mileage.

I'm with Roadkill though.. I'm 6' 2" and my knees never touch my tank. I ride with my heels on the pegs.

The best thing I have found to keep the pain looking nice is get it repainted by someone who knows what they're doing.  My first Raider had ding marks all over the tank.  With my third Raider I had it custom painted in matte black by a local painter. It does not have one chip in the tank paint.  Not sure if being a matte finish has anything to do with it or not.

Deyv

• Raider
      « Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2020, 01:06:11 pm »
      Vinyl wrap is what I used

House O Pain

• V Star
      « Reply #5 on: Dec 13, 2020, 04:30:33 pm »
      I've owned no less that 11 street bikes in my 35 years of riding and have never experienced any issues with my knees messing up the paint on my tanks.  Spraying Plasti-dip on your tank is a great way to UGLI-FY it for a mostly non-existent problem.  Most stock paint finishes hold up fine for normal wear and tear, and fine scratches can be buffed out with a fine rubbing compound or just polishes.

If you want some kind of layer of protection you might consider investing in ceramic coating your tank.  This lays down a clear, protective coat of hard protection that is a notch above any other wipe on protection. 

I personally use Turtle Wax Hybrid ceramic wax and am impressed with the layer of protection it leaves.
      Buy it here:

https://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Wax-53448-Solutions-Ceramic/dp/B085K86V9H
      "A man's got to know his limitations"  Clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry

Coldfinger

• Roadliner
      « Reply #6 on: Dec 13, 2020, 06:40:37 pm »
      Thanks for the replies.  I am 6’3” and have oem pegs.

It isn’t a problem per se but I am aware when my knees are pressing on the paint.    When riding in colder weather, I hug tank with my knees to reduce airflow and it keeps me from getting too cold.

My previous bike was a Kaw Concours and ended up with fine scratches from my knees because we were riding up the gravel Fall River Road in Rocky Mtn Nat Park and fine dust from the road accumulated on my knees and unknown to me the tank was getting scratches from it. 

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 20
      « Reply #7 on: Dec 13, 2020, 09:45:45 pm »

It isn’t a problem per se but I am aware when my knees are pressing on the paint.    When riding in colder weather, I hug tank with my knees to reduce airflow and it keeps me from getting too cold.

My previous bike was a Kaw Concours and ended up with fine scratches from my knees because we were riding up the gravel Fall River Road in Rocky Mtn Nat Park and fine dust from the road accumulated on my knees and unknown to me the tank was getting scratches from it.
      Don't know what year Raider you have but mine was an 08 and it had a really good clear coat that helped protect the paint better than any bike with a stock paint job than any bike I've ever owned.

Coldfinger

• Roadliner
      « Reply #9 on: Dec 14, 2020, 06:15:37 pm »
      I didn’t realize I could buy a small q of 3m.  Hmm.

CHROMINATOR

• MSgt USMC Retired - Patriot Guard Rider
      • SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #10 on: Dec 15, 2020, 04:49:09 pm »

I am also 6'3" and have never had a problem with my knees rubbing the tank.  I can understand hugging the tank in cold weather but I live in AZ and it does not get cold enough to have to hug the tank.

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      « Reply #11 on: Dec 16, 2020, 09:35:28 am »

I am also 6'3" and have never had a problem with my knees rubbing the tank.  I can understand hugging the tank in cold weather but I live in AZ and it does not get cold enough to have to hug the tank.

You haven't ridden at 6am in the winter then.  I remember one morning heading to work in the dark and I passed a church that displayed the temperature on the marquee and it read 26°. I was frickin' freezing. I got to work and thought my fingers were going to break off. It was that day I decided to buy heated gloves and it was one of the best things I ever did for riding.

CHROMINATOR

• MSgt USMC Retired - Patriot Guard Rider
      • SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #12 on: Dec 17, 2020, 09:27:26 pm »

You haven't ridden at 6am in the winter then.  I remember one morning heading to work in the dark and I passed a church that displayed the temperature on the marquee and it read 26°. I was frickin' freezing. I got to work and thought my fingers were going to break off. It was that day I decided to buy heated gloves and it was one of the best things I ever did for riding.

Dan...I have many hours of riding in the early AM, I also have heated gloves for my hands but my legs don't get that cold so I don't have to hug the tank...  ;)  If I am going to take a long ride I have full leathers that will keep the cold out...  ;D

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      « Reply #13 on: Dec 17, 2020, 10:05:03 pm »

Dan...I have many hours of riding in the early AM, I also have heated gloves for my hands but my legs don't get that cold so I don't have to hug the tank...  ;)  If I am going to take a long ride I have full leathers that will keep the cold out...  ;D

Oh! I misunderstood what you stated then.  I thought you were saying it never gets that cold in AZ. I know that it does. Or at least it used to. It doesn't seem to be this year though.

I'm not sure what hugging the tank does anyway. The tank isn't warm. Before I had heated gloves I used to reach down and place my gloved on directly on the engine and that helped immensely, but not the tank.

roadstar123

• V Star
      « Reply #14 on: Dec 21, 2020, 03:17:44 am »
      PPF  [ paint protection film ]