Author Topic: Fork Extensions for Anyone Interested  (Read 2154 times)

Ares X

• Administrator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 7
Re: Fork Extensions for Anyone Interested
« Reply #15 on: Jan 02, 2021, 01:44:03 pm »
There's a guy on Facebook - Nicholas Easterly - who makes fork extensions for the Raider.  He does a lot - enlarges the tank (+2 gals); turbos - just about anything Raider. 

One Off Custom Designs

I would love to see the enlarged tank.  I have a feeling I wouldn't care for it.

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

A.T.

• SEA-ROAR
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 0
    « Reply #16 on: Jan 02, 2021, 05:28:14 pm »
    There's a guy on Facebook - Nicholas Easterly - who makes fork extensions for the Raider.  He does a lot - enlarges the tank (+2 gals); turbos - just about anything Raider. 

One Off Custom Designs

I would love to see the enlarged tank.  I have a feeling I wouldn't care for it.

Here you go - check it out.  It doesn't look too bad, but kinda makes the bike look like a FatBoy...

http://youtu.be/G0m6QhJmnLo

There are several pics of another Raider with the larger tank on this FB page:

https://www.facebook.com/oneoffcustomdesigns/photos
    « Last Edit: Jan 02, 2021, 06:01:54 pm by A.T. »

craigac

• Road Star
    « Reply #17 on: Jan 02, 2021, 08:47:47 pm »

One Off Custom Designs

Here you go - check it out.  It doesn't look too bad, but kinda makes the bike look like a FatBoy...

Not for me but if youíre about function over form I could see the appeal. Me personally Iíd rather strap a fuel bottle somewhere if I knew I was going to long haul it.
    « Last Edit: Jan 02, 2021, 09:04:40 pm by craigac »

• Advertisement

craigac

• Road Star
      « Reply #18 on: Jan 02, 2021, 09:38:15 pm »
      Back on topic, sort of. Wondering if thereís anyone out there with 3Ē extensions who ultimately chose to set them at 2Ē and why? Iím having trouble deciding and want to avoid this myself, if possible. Any insight from you guys who have run them both ways would be helpful.

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      « Reply #19 on: Jan 02, 2021, 10:51:31 pm »

One Off Custom Designs

Not for me but if youíre about function over form I could see the appeal. Me personally Iíd rather strap a fuel bottle somewhere if I knew I was going to long haul it.

That's actually not bad.  I thought it would be way more obvious, but it's not that much of a change.

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      « Reply #20 on: Jan 02, 2021, 10:54:16 pm »

One Off Custom Designs

On my trip to Carson City back in 2012, I actually carried a 1 gallon plastic can of fuel in my saddlebag.  I never ended up touching it and I think I finally poured it into my tank when I got back to AZ. The shape of it fit really well in the saddlebag, so it worked out well, but not needed.

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      « Reply #21 on: Jan 02, 2021, 10:57:05 pm »
      Back on topic, sort of. Wondering if thereís anyone out there with 3Ē extensions who ultimately chose to set them at 2Ē and why? Iím having trouble deciding and want to avoid this myself, if possible. Any insight from you guys who have run them both ways would be helpful.

I have 3" extensions, but they're to the full length.  The only reason I could imagine only sinking it part way is if the lines weren't long enough. They weren't an issue at all on my first two Raiders, but for some reason I had to reroute the lines to make them work for my third Raider. Apparently, Yamaha decided to trim a bit off the length in 2014 or maybe my Raider was just special.

craigac

• Road Star
      « Reply #22 on: Jan 03, 2021, 11:24:35 am »
      Iím really curious to hear if it was in any way due to a lack of confidence in the front end entering corners.

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      « Reply #23 on: Jan 03, 2021, 11:35:50 am »
      Iím really curious to hear if it was in any way due to a lack of confidence in the front end entering corners.

It could be he preferred the lean with 2" over 3" or could be it fit his height better when sitting on it. There is a difference from 2" to 3". It's nothing major, but it is noticeable.

craigac

• Road Star
      « Reply #24 on: Jan 03, 2021, 01:12:57 pm »
      I just donít want it to slow me down but at the same time give me clearance not to scrape the exhaust in turns.

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      « Reply #25 on: Jan 03, 2021, 01:20:24 pm »
      I just donít want it to slow me down but at the same time give me clearance not to scrape the exhaust in turns.

Actually, I would say the fork extensions increase the chances of scraping the exhaust because you're tipping the front of the bike up which forces everything in the back to tip down.  I scrape my pegs all the time with 3" extensions. My old Cobra Swepts had a nice flat spot underneath too.

craigac

• Road Star
      « Reply #26 on: Jan 03, 2021, 01:53:10 pm »
      Currently the lowest point on my exhaust is just under the cam cover which is far enough forward on the bike that any lift I put to the forks should help in that area. Thatís not to say I wonít start scraping somewhere farther back but with mine at least it probably be the tips. Take a look at the pics and see if Iíve changed your mind.
      « Last Edit: Jan 03, 2021, 02:15:17 pm by craigac »

dukedomain

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #27 on: Jan 03, 2021, 08:33:21 pm »

Actually, I would say the fork extensions increase the chances of scraping the exhaust because you're tipping the front of the bike up which forces everything in the back to tip down.  I scrape my pegs all the time with 3" extensions. My old Cobra Swepts had a nice flat spot underneath too.

Seems to me that giving rise to the front would just make the front higher, you havenít lowered the rear, it remains the same.  If anything the pegs would be slightly raised too.

Zxdave

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 2
      « Reply #28 on: Jan 03, 2021, 10:05:00 pm »

Seems to me that giving rise to the front would just make the front higher, you havenít lowered the rear, it remains the same.  If anything the pegs would be slightly raised too.

Exactly Ted , fork extensions help you gain ground clearance in the turns... exhaust , frame , pegs are all higher then stock with them.

Lean till it grinds , then lean some more ..

Ron505

• SEA-ROAR Member
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 2
      « Reply #29 on: Jan 04, 2021, 07:46:47 am »

Exactly Ted , fork extensions help you gain ground clearance in the turns... exhaust , frame , pegs are all higher then stock with them.

^^This!  I can lean quite a bit more before scraping than some of the people that I ride with

And I had my 3" extensions set to 2" because my cables wouldn't quite reach, until I lowered the cable mount under the triple tree.  It's very simple with a longer bolt, and a spacer/bushing.
      « Last Edit: Jan 04, 2021, 07:49:36 am by Ron505 »
      I refuse to tiptoe through life, only to arrive at death safely.