Author Topic: Movin' On?  (Read 1303 times)

2nd Life

• Doin' Good
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 4
Movin' On?
« on: Dec 29, 2020, 12:21:38 pm »
Granted, I haven't been posting much in this forum during the last couple of years, but I am most curious about the apparent change in participation. Have people moved to a different forum/social media platform, or did Yamaha's killing of the Raider simply choke off all the enthusiasm of years gone by or are we just getting too old for this or what?
(not a mid-life crisis; just a better life :- )

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

Ares X

• Administrator
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 7
    Re: Movin' On?
    « Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2020, 01:31:28 pm »
    For me it's been the pandemic. I seldom go anywhere and 95% of the time if I am leaving the house I am on a supply run and take the truck. I ride very little, so my enthusiasm about motorcycles is down.  I still love my Raider and hope things improve after all of this is over.

Kevs UK Raider SCL

• UK Raider SCL #300
    • Roadliner
    • Referrals: 1
    « Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2020, 04:40:34 pm »
    For me it's several things:

The demise of the Raider a few years ago has seen sales go down and only the "used" market gains new members to the forum. Those fewer members ask the questions we have all seen a million times so the first person to reply kills the thread in reality.

The Pandemic hasn't helped as fewer people are riding and are able to, plus the winter months in the north of the USA and Europe suggests less people ride and therefore less problems and indeed questions from members.

You see a few things for sale but very little else.

I look at the forum most days and have seen few posts over several weeks as suggested.

Sadly, this could be trend regarding the forum however a lot of people do post questions on the Raider pages of the Facebook site. I watch this most days also and comment if I feel the need just to keep involved.

This forum is important to me due to my participation at the Raider Rally in Maggie Valley when I can, so posts by the likes of Roadkill and others are key! RK has been in hospital for a few months so even he has been quiet. I'm glad to say he is at home in Jax, FL now and slowly on the road to recovery....   
    One of only around 65 or so Raider Owners in the UK

• Advertisement

dukedomain

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 0
      « Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2020, 06:11:07 pm »
      I check in most days, not much is going on and I move on to the Roadglide forum where new posts are made faster than you can read em.  I got a little excited a few weeks ago when RK posted and then Bill aka Chrominator even made a cameo.  I donít think the pandemic has much to do with it because weíre not even talking about that on here.

The lack of support from Yamaha and after market part suppliers doesnít give us much to talk about, if you want to make your Raider your own there are fewer options now than ever. Most of us have done what weíre gonna do to the bikes anyway, just nothing new to talk about and enthusiasm seems to be drying up.

SERR is coming up faster than you think summer is almost here!!! :cheers:
      « Last Edit: Dec 29, 2020, 06:12:40 pm by dukedomain »

Clayton

• Mmm...🍺 Beer
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 2
      « Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2020, 09:39:19 pm »
      FB raider pages is where itís at! Lots of post there! Forums just not what they used to be!

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      « Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2020, 10:44:56 pm »
      Yet for some reason I am getting hit with fake new user accounts being added about 10 times a day and have to ban and delete them. It's a major pain.  I spend more time doing that then reading anything on the forum.

sscottab

• Road Star
      « Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2020, 05:43:36 am »
      iam on here most days i may not post often but iam here with the page running in the background . as for covid that has limited what can be done but i still try to get out and ride weather permitting, in winter storage for the winter now. we did buy a new toy hauler earlier this year before the buying rush hit , it was planned before covid and did go out with it 5 times over the summer love the flexability of having it.

craigac

• Road Star
      « Reply #7 on: Dec 30, 2020, 09:36:16 am »
      ...if you want to make your Raider your own there are fewer options now than ever.

The struggle is real!

craigac

• Road Star
      « Reply #8 on: Dec 30, 2020, 09:37:28 am »
      ...I am most curious about the apparent change in participation. Have people moved to a different forum/social media platform, or did Yamaha's killing of the Raider simply choke off all the enthusiasm of years gone by...?

One month to receive a tip of where to buy fork extensions had me wondering the same thing. Iím not complaining at all - I do like this forum.

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 20
      « Reply #9 on: Dec 30, 2020, 09:57:55 am »
      This forum does the same thing every year around this time - not as many people are riding plus you have the holidays - as for me I haven't seen my Raider since April 25, 2014 but I'm still here and try to answer questions if I know the answer.
      As for my progress I'm able to walk again for short distances but working on strength training and plan on seeing everyone at SERR 13 in 2021.

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      « Reply #10 on: Dec 30, 2020, 10:15:26 am »
      ...I am most curious about the apparent change in participation. Have people moved to a different forum/social media platform, or did Yamaha's killing of the Raider simply choke off all the enthusiasm of years gone by...?

One month to receive a tip of where to buy fork extensions had me wondering the same thing. Iím not complaining at all - I do like this forum.

Fork extensions were never super readily available for the Raider. I remember having a hard time tracking down a set for my third Raider after an accident with the second.  That's probably the reason you got very little responses.

Sgt Fury

• 2012 Raider SCL #188
      • Road Star
      • Referrals: 1
      « Reply #11 on: Dec 30, 2020, 11:42:36 am »
      I'm here for the long haul, albeit not much to say lately.  Winter has finally set in after several unexpected late-fall warm days.  ;D   I still get a big smile on my face when I lift up the Raider "blankie" and see all the gleaming chrome and metallic paint!  It will be the last bike I ever own....  And as far as Facebook and the rest of the big-tech Commies controlling what we say--#(%&[email protected] off and die.  The rules of this site are very fair BTW.   Wishing all a very healthy and prosperous 2021!  :rockon:
      « Last Edit: Dec 30, 2020, 11:46:51 am by Sgt Fury »

There's no substitute for cubic inches and a good engine management system!   Hmmm, well maybe a blower, NOS or turbo....

dukedomain

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #12 on: Dec 30, 2020, 05:28:37 pm »
      This forum does the same thing every year around this time - not as many people are riding plus you have the holidays - as for me I haven't seen my Raider since April 25, 2014 but I'm still here and try to answer questions if I know the answer.
      As for my progress I'm able to walk again for short distances but working on strength training and plan on seeing everyone at SERR 13 in 2021.

Thatíll be real cool!

dukedomain

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #13 on: Dec 30, 2020, 05:29:36 pm »
      I'm here for the long haul, albeit not much to say lately.  Winter has finally set in after several unexpected late-fall warm days.  ;D   I still get a big smile on my face when I lift up the Raider "blankie" and see all the gleaming chrome and metallic paint!  It will be the last bike I ever own....  And as far as Facebook and the rest of the big-tech Commies controlling what we say--#(%&[email protected] off and die.  The rules of this site are very fair BTW.   Wishing all a very healthy and prosperous 2021!  :rockon:

Tru dat!

the urban legend

• Raider
      « Reply #14 on: Dec 30, 2020, 05:42:46 pm »

Thatíll be real cool!

I'm looking forward to it too.
      I'd rather die on a motorcycle than live without one.