Author Topic: Added Chrome Engine Guards  (Read 1123 times)

craigac

• Road Star
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Added Chrome Engine Guards
« Reply #15 on: Jan 05, 2021, 08:39:55 pm »
Fiddles, assuming (again) that you had those fork extensions on a previous Raider, may I ask why you chose not to put them on the Red Raider? I just ordered 3 inchíers for mine yesterday
« Last Edit: Jan 05, 2021, 09:54:51 pm by craigac »

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

craigac

• Road Star
    « Reply #16 on: Jan 05, 2021, 09:14:08 pm »
    Sorry Badbluraider I didnít mean to call your exhaust damaged, I meant battle scars  :rockon:

Zxdave

• SEA-ROAR
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 2
    « Reply #17 on: Jan 05, 2021, 10:37:39 pm »
    Scraping is part of pushing the limits of the raider of any cruiser for that matter , some guys it doesnít bother and some have no parts of it. I donít mind it and actually enjoy it long as itís soft parts touching down and not hard parts. With that said hard parts hit every year at SERR when us guys in the crazy pack go riding or if we chasing a three wheeler around a mountain !

Bill 100% Iíd be doing donuts , I push my raider about as hard as anyone could being lowered 1-1/2 in the front and having that air ride makes that bitch hard to handle at times. It does not have the ground clearance as a stock raider but I do my best to get on down a backroad. The guys with those guards rub a little off each year at SERR !
    Lean till it grinds , then lean some more ..

• Advertisement

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 20
      « Reply #18 on: Jan 06, 2021, 06:59:36 am »
      Scraping is part of pushing the limits of the raider of any cruiser for that matter , some guys it doesnít bother and some have no parts of it. I donít mind it and actually enjoy it long as itís soft parts touching down and not hard parts. With that said hard parts hit every year at SERR when us guys in the crazy pack go riding or if we chasing a three wheeler around a mountain !

Bill 100% Iíd be doing donuts , I push my raider about as hard as anyone could being lowered 1-1/2 in the front and having that air ride makes that bitch hard to handle at times. It does not have the ground clearance as a stock raider but I do my best to get on down a backroad. The guys with those guards rub a little off each year at SERR !
      Something else you have to consider is the camber of the road - for instance in FL the curves are flat in NC they aren't see pic
      « Last Edit: Jan 06, 2021, 07:11:42 am by ROADKILL »

craigac

• Road Star
      « Reply #19 on: Jan 06, 2021, 07:48:03 am »
      The Dragon was added to my ďRode itĒ list in the fall of 2019. I wish back then I knew about SERR. Sounds like a blast! I hope I can make it out to the next one.

craigac

• Road Star
      « Reply #20 on: Jan 06, 2021, 08:08:08 am »
      Scraping is part of pushing the limits of the raider... I donít mind it and actually enjoy it long as itís soft parts touching down and not hard parts.

+1

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #21 on: Jan 06, 2021, 04:51:56 pm »
      The Dragon was added to my ďRode itĒ list in the fall of 2019. I wish back then I knew about SERR. Sounds like a blast! I hope I can make it out to the next one.
      Here's the hotel info: http://www.raiderrally.com/lodging.html

Badbluraider

• Warrior
      « Reply #22 on: Jan 06, 2021, 09:25:00 pm »
      No problem Craig on the "Exhaust Damaged" comment. Yeah it is a battle scar that ended up in damage that is part of it. As Dave said some of us push the Raider to the limits because we get comfortable with it and love it. Which when we get too comfortable can get in trouble as was mentioned in scraping and hitting hard parts(namely the frame) or lean to the point where your contact patch is too small for weight of the Raider, the make up of the road and angle you are taking. As RK stated the camber of the road has a lot to do with how quick you can get thru a turn sometimes without scraping anything. I have a few roads here in Tulsa that the turns are so banked that I almost feel like the bike and I are laying flat going thru them. Bad thing is the weather has really taken it's toll on them so I cannot ride them like I use to without really hitting the pipes or the kickstand hard. Too hard for my comfort zone.

Another main point here as far running turns in your comfort zone and apexing it in the correct manner is that I guarantee not any two of our Raiders are set up the same way especially with each of us as the rider on the bike. Mine, even though has a stock set only has a 165 pound rider on it. I have the OEM stock rear shock set to the softest setting possible therefore it is a bit lower(even being asked by several members what lowering kit I used)which gives me less clearance on the tail end especially exiting a turn also preventing me from probably getting best line and grab off the turn. This is just a subtle adjustment that make our bikes different. Not even speaking of other mods that let our Raiders handle much different such as fork extensions, progressive springs both from and rear, dampening the steering, tricky air ride, wheel and tire size, tire mfg. That is why some are scraping certain areas and others with what might seem to have the same set up are not hitting. Fortunately I do not think I have any marks on the frame itself and I believe that is because I weigh a fraction some others with nearly the same set up.

I can tell you I don't take pride in scarring parts of the bottom of my bike up at all. But with that being said I enjoy a little too much getting thru turns and twisty's as quickly and tightly as possible and if it means scraping pegs, pipes, kickstand, side mount tag and possibly engine guards so be it. Guess that's why I have new Freedom's in the box for when I have gone too far with my V&H. ;D O8O
      « Last Edit: Jan 06, 2021, 09:44:27 pm by Badbluraider »

Zxdave

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 2
      « Reply #23 on: Jan 07, 2021, 03:14:52 pm »
      No problem Craig on the "Exhaust Damaged" comment. Yeah it is a battle scar that ended up in damage that is part of it. As Dave said some of us push the Raider to the limits because we get comfortable with it and love it. Which when we get too comfortable can get in trouble as was mentioned in scraping and hitting hard parts(namely the frame) or lean to the point where your contact patch is too small for weight of the Raider, the make up of the road and angle you are taking. As RK stated the camber of the road has a lot to do with how quick you can get thru a turn sometimes without scraping anything. I have a few roads here in Tulsa that the turns are so banked that I almost feel like the bike and I are laying flat going thru them. Bad thing is the weather has really taken it's toll on them so I cannot ride them like I use to without really hitting the pipes or the kickstand hard. Too hard for my comfort zone.

Another main point here as far running turns in your comfort zone and apexing it in the correct manner is that I guarantee not any two of our Raiders are set up the same way especially with each of us as the rider on the bike. Mine, even though has a stock set only has a 165 pound rider on it. I have the OEM stock rear shock set to the softest setting possible therefore it is a bit lower(even being asked by several members what lowering kit I used)which gives me less clearance on the tail end especially exiting a turn also preventing me from probably getting best line and grab off the turn. This is just a subtle adjustment that make our bikes different. Not even speaking of other mods that let our Raiders handle much different such as fork extensions, progressive springs both from and rear, dampening the steering, tricky air ride, wheel and tire size, tire mfg. That is why some are scraping certain areas and others with what might seem to have the same set up are not hitting. Fortunately I do not think I have any marks on the frame itself and I believe that is because I weigh a fraction some others with nearly the same set up.

I can tell you I don't take pride in scarring parts of the bottom of my bike up at all. But with that being said I enjoy a little too much getting thru turns and twisty's as quickly and tightly as possible and if it means scraping pegs, pipes, kickstand, side mount tag and possibly engine guards so be it. Guess that's why I have new Freedom's in the box for when I have gone too far with my V&H. ;D O8O

Well said brother , wait till you ride with those fools at SERR ... they a bad influence! Lol
      Lean till it grinds , then lean some more ..

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #24 on: Jan 07, 2021, 05:48:38 pm »

Well said brother , wait till you ride with those fools at SERR ... they a bad influence! Lol
      Yeah gotta watch out for "Those Fools"