Author Topic: Do you need to change your tire if it starts to flatten down the middle?  (Read 787 times)

FireNative

• Road Star
  • Referrals: 0
What is this group's opinion on "flat spot" tires? If your rear tire starts to get flatten in the center, (compared to the rounder original shape it was) should you change out that tire regardless of time or miles? I had a 10yr old tire with about 6,300 miles, (it was 7yrs old when I got it with 1 mile and I had knee surgery and an abscess that took me out for a year so those miles where only on about 1-1/2yrs riding). I changed the tire because it was 10yrs old and started to flatten down the center of the rear. It didn't look dry rotted but I figured with the years and flat spot it was best to change it as I have (4) 5 day motorcycle trips planned this year and wanted new tires and a new battery to feel good about being on the road that much.

But in your guy's opinion did I NEED/SHOULD to change out a tire if it is starting to wear flat down the center if the miles, years, tread, and sidewall are still good?
« Last Edit: Feb 19, 2021, 09:30:40 am by FireNative »

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

Zxdave

• SEA-ROAR
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 2
    Definitely best idea to change it with that age regardless. I donít do a ton of straight line riding on highway so I canít speak really about a flat spot in the center. Glad to see you are getting back out and riding , stay safe bro .
    Lean till it grinds , then lean some more ..

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 20
    Due to the age yes - the wear in the center is normal for the stock rear tire but no need to change it because of that unless it is excessive.

• Advertisement

dukedomain

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      Definitely best idea to change it with that age regardless. I donít do a ton of straight line riding on highway so I canít speak really about a flat spot in the center. Glad to see you are getting back out and riding , stay safe bro .

;D ;D ;D :D

Fiddles

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 1
      Best to change due to age, now find some curvy roads.
      V&H 2into1, Bullet cowl, Full Wrap front Fender, Ultimate  seat, Barons Tach, lowering bones and progressive spring, Ivan's flash, K&N filter with open air box, Avon Cobra Chrome  tires

Sgt Fury

• 2012 Raider SCL #188
      • Roadliner
      Agree with all said!  Ya made the right decision, esp. for a trip.  Maybe it was just a bad-luck day for me, but I got my only motorcycle flat tire in my entire life on my Honda CB900C rear tire that was nearing the wear-out bars.  In the boondocks of Arizona--and having my wife on the back no less!  TIRE SLIME DIDN'T WORK, by the way--POS.  Now I carry a tested mini-compressor and pro tire plug kit (don't trust a few CO2 cartridges filling the back tire).   O8O
      « Last Edit: Feb 20, 2021, 01:16:26 am by Sgt Fury »

There's no substitute for cubic inches and a good engine management system!   Hmmm, well maybe a blower, NOS or turbo....

FireNative

• Road Star
      Agree with all said!  Ya made the right decision, esp. for a trip.  Maybe it was just a bad-luck day for me, but I got my only motorcycle flat tire in my entire life on my Honda CB900C rear tire that was nearing the wear-out bars.  In the boondocks of Arizona--and having my wife on the back no less!  TIRE SLIME DIDN'T WORK, by the way--POS.  Now I carry a tested mini-compressor and pro tire plug kit (don't trust a few CO2 cartridges filling the back tire).   O8O

Same Sgt Fury, On over night trips or on vacation I throw the bags on, and and put my small battery powered air compress, and NOCO portable jumper so I fill a flat and/or jump a weak/dead battery. NOCO GB40 for $100 on Amazon good for up to 6.0L gas and 3.0L Diesel engines.
      « Last Edit: Feb 20, 2021, 11:30:51 am by FireNative »

Sgt Fury

• 2012 Raider SCL #188
      • Roadliner

Same Sgt Fury, On over night trips or on vacation I through the bags on, and and put my small battery powered air compress, and NOCO portable jumper so I fill a flat and/or jump a weak/dead battery. NOCO GB40 for $100 on Amazon good for up to 6.0L gas and 3.0L Diesel engines.

Good point on the small NOCO jump box.  As discussed on previous battery threads, it is a great idea to have one---even if close to home.  I carry a medium size XP-1 Antigravity jumper product---but also have installed an Antigravity heavy duty pigtail.  This eliminates removing the seat and digging to the battery terminals---no fuss, no muss!!  If I recall, one of the battery terminals is close to the frame tube, PLUS getting the jumper clamps a good bite on the battery lugs can be problematic.   Try what you own for battery access for a safe jump, or perhaps a beefy pigtail might save you a lot of unnecessary grief.    I can just pull mine out from under the seat.  The Antigravity XP1 is down in price ($114) since I bought mine 4-5 years ago.  I will say, the $49-59 jumpers from BJs or Costco were POS's.  Could barely run a cell phone let alone jump a 4-cyl car! They had misleading very high mAh ratings which suckered me in!  At least I could take them back.  This discussion probably belongs on the older battery discussions.    :scooter:
      « Last Edit: Feb 20, 2021, 11:21:14 am by Sgt Fury »

There's no substitute for cubic inches and a good engine management system!   Hmmm, well maybe a blower, NOS or turbo....

FireNative

• Road Star
      Same Sgt Fury I have a heavy duty pigtail made by NOCO (GBC009) that has an adapter to switch to SAE to trickle charge or like I will be installing is a SAE cable I will zip tie under the tank to the neck to have a USB charger to charge my cell as I ride as I use it for my Spotify music and map on vacation. Super easy just to plug and jump or plug and have a UBS port ready while riding.

Sgt Fury

• 2012 Raider SCL #188
      • Roadliner
      Same Sgt Fury I have a heavy duty pigtail made by NOCO (GBC009) that has an adapter to switch to SAE to trickle charge or like I will be installing is a SAE cable I will zip tie under the tank to the neck to have a USB charger to charge my cell as I ride as I use it for my Spotify music and map on vacation. Super easy just to plug and jump or plug and have a UBS port ready while riding.

Smart all around!  I also keep my baby on a Battery Tender when under her garage blankie.  Makes for a less "grunting" start some days!!   :thumbs:     :wheelie: