Author Topic: Overseas chin spoiler and fenders  (Read 2831 times)

mitch1965

• Road Star
  • Referrals: 0
Overseas chin spoiler and fenders
« on: Feb 19, 2021, 09:40:26 am »
Does anyone have experience with the chin spoiler and fenders from overseas?  I do like some of the other designs Ive seen, but am concerned about the quality/ durability of them compared to the L&M.  I've seen several on Ebay from Lithuania.
Mitch1965
40+ Motorcycle Club, Fort Collins CO

2014 Yamaha Raider SCL
2016 Honda F6B Dlx
1985 Honda V65 Sabre

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

Ares X

• Administrator
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 7
    Re: Overseas chin spoiler and fenders
    « Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2021, 10:57:32 am »
    I've never seen them and only have experience with L&M. Post up some links.

mitch1965

• Road Star
    Mitch1965

2014 Yamaha Raider SCL
    2016 Honda F6B Dlx
    1985 Honda V65 Sabre

• Advertisement

Dirtiegirtie

• Road Star
      « Reply #3 on: Feb 22, 2021, 06:33:13 am »
      I have both the chin fairing and front fender from the ebay guy in Lithuania.

Chin spoiler: I bought it for my Warrior and kept it for the Raider. I love it.

Front fender: Spend the money on the L&M. I didn't check the fit-up of my fender before painting it. I painted it and then mounted it... only to find that the fender sat just a tiny bit off center. There isn't much clearance between the fender and the tire so I had to shim (washers) one side of the fender by the mounting points to get it to sit straight over the tire. Is it ok now? Yeah, but it bugs me that I have these washers (that nobody other than me would notice) shimming it to the center. Also, the fiberglass is pretty thin. I don't know if the L&M is thicker, but I would think so. The thinness isn't an issue for the longevity of the fender, but because there is so little gap between the tire and fender, I am terrified that it could bounce around and rub on the tire. I've put less than 1k miles on the fender, and have found no evidence of rubbing, but it was really concerning to me for a while.

My $0.02.

mitch1965

• Road Star
      « Reply #4 on: Feb 22, 2021, 08:18:20 am »
      Thanks.  Your machine looks great! Painted fender and blacked out chin is cool.
      Mitch1965

2014 Yamaha Raider SCL
      2016 Honda F6B Dlx
      1985 Honda V65 Sabre

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      « Reply #5 on: Feb 22, 2021, 11:27:10 am »
      Sometimes you have to shim the L&M fenders too.  I did on Desiree's Stryker. I think I did on my first Raider too.

Dirtiegirtie

• Road Star
      « Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2021, 01:48:27 pm »
      Sometimes you have to shim the L&M fenders too.  I did on Desiree's Stryker. I think I did on my first Raider too.

That's great to know!!! I was actually considering buying an L&M just to get it to sit wihtout shimming... you just saved me the $230 (or whatver it costs), paint, clear coat, and installation hassles. I owe you a beer!

Dirtiegirtie

• Road Star
      « Reply #7 on: Feb 22, 2021, 01:53:37 pm »
      Thanks.  Your machine looks great! Painted fender and blacked out chin is cool.

Thanks! After getting some opinions from this forum I ended up painting the chin and side covers a satin black rather than keep the brown.

And thanks for not mentioning the pile of crappy siding in the background... it took me 2.5 years, but I finally finished the siding on my house in the fall. Strangely the wife very quickly moved from, "When is the siding going to be done?" to "When are you going to remodel the upstairs bathroom?"  :o

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      « Reply #8 on: Feb 22, 2021, 02:27:21 pm »

That's great to know!!! I was actually considering buying an L&M just to get it to sit wihtout shimming... you just saved me the $230 (or whatver it costs), paint, clear coat, and installation hassles. I owe you a beer!

I think after paint it's close to $600.  I'll take two beers whenever this pandemic is over.

Actually I would just be happy to be able to sit and have a beer with someone other than just my wife. Not that I don't love having beers with her, but would like to socialize with people again.

the urban legend

• Raider
      « Reply #9 on: Feb 22, 2021, 05:38:54 pm »
      I bought the L&M chin spoiler (with screens) years ago... and it's still in the box.
      Why? I couldn't get it to fit. No matter how hard I tried I always ended up with either a one inch gap between the frame and the top portion, or the bottom part sticking out under the frame. And yes, I did remove the little cross bar between the frame tubes.
      Over the years I tried to make it fit multiple times but nothing worked. All I ended up doing was damaging the paint and cracking the fiberglass. If I ever buy another one, I'm definitely going with the cheap import.
      I'd rather die on a motorcycle than live without one.

joseph56

• Road Star
      « Reply #10 on: Feb 22, 2021, 07:27:12 pm »
      Legend  that's funny you said that   I too had the same problem with mine from L&M   I called them they said I must be doing something wrong  (L O L)   I had to file some of the edge around the frame bar cut outs to get it to fit  8)

the urban legend

• Raider
      « Reply #11 on: Feb 23, 2021, 05:55:16 am »
      Legend  that's funny you said that   I too had the same problem with mine from L&M   I called them they said I must be doing something wrong  (L O L)   I had to file some of the edge around the frame bar cut outs to get it to fit  8)

I got the same "We're not the problem, you are" attitude when I tried to return mine. Filing the edge wouldn't have helped me because it was bowed outwards. Picture trying to fit a banana to a straight surface.
      I'd rather die on a motorcycle than live without one.

mitch1965

• Road Star
      « Reply #12 on: Feb 23, 2021, 09:48:56 am »
      Wow! I'm glad I asked!  With all the other recommendations, I would have assumed GREAT product, and awesome customer service.
      Guess I'll not be going to L & M.
      Mitch1965

2014 Yamaha Raider SCL
      2016 Honda F6B Dlx
      1985 Honda V65 Sabre

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      « Reply #13 on: Feb 23, 2021, 11:27:17 am »
      I love my L&M Reaper fender. I can't say anything about customer service as I haven't had to deal with them on any issues and they were spot on when they had to match my factory Raven paint on my 2009. With my newer Raider I had the whole thing custom painted, so I bought it unpainted.

Jargo

• Road Star
      « Reply #14 on: Feb 23, 2021, 01:46:16 pm »
      In all fairness to L & M I have had great customer service and also my Reaper front fender fits perfect.
      I have had it on there for almost 4 years with no issues at all.
      When I spoke to a service/parts guy at L&M he was more then helpful and very pleasant to deal with.