Author Topic: If you're near Hattiesburg, MS I have a place for you to ride  (Read 1515 times)

FireNative

• Road Star
  • Referrals: 0
I just got back from a 5 day, (got there Tuesday and got home Sunday) motorcycle trip in Hattiesburg, MS. Why Hattiesburg, MS you ask? Well I throw on my saddle bags and 75L Amazon Basics hiking backpack and want to try out places that are about 3hrs away form my house in Houma, LA. 2 yrs ago I went to Alexandria, LA because first it was only a 3hr ride but more importantly it is surrounded by about 7 different wild life management/national forest areas all within about 1hr. Hattiesburg, MS has 3 forest, (De Soto has 2 main disconnected areas, and Bienville National Forest) all within about 1hr and Homochitto National Forest about 2hrs away. What I did for both trips was wake up, wipe down my baby, go eat breakfast, fuel up, throw some waters, Gatorades, and snacks in my saddle bags, and set my google maps on my cell to a forest, turned on my Spotify playlist that would play in my helmet, and once I got there just ride. If I saw a road that looked cool, I road down it. It would be about 10am after breakfast, fuel, and relaxing, so I would ride until about 4pm them make my way back to the hotel about 5-6pm, shower, go eat dinner, go back to the hotel, bourbon, tv, pass out, then rinse, lather, and repeat, the next day. My last day I would spend in town all day getting a massage, and just riding in town. Then pack and head out in the morning. The weather was perfect about 75F and just enough clouds to not have too much sun. The first day I rode about 7hrs with my sleeves up got a great base tan.

But my main point was if you are close to Hattiesburg, MS and want to ride some rolling hills, winding roads, and not worry about speed limit signs, l literally am always looking for speed limit signs and in the country back roads I could ride for hours and NEVER see any speed limit signs. The rolling hilly roads that where curvy where mostly around east of De Soto National Forest around the upper section. I mean very hilly, a lot of curves, (not Dragon's Tail super sharp that you can't see around them but still a lot of curves). I had an awesome time. If you are ever around the area do your self a favor and ride the main roads in De Soto or ride north or east right outside the upper section of De Soto National Forest, (if you look it up on Google Maps its the section that is green on the non satellite view above the area marked De Soto, it will not be named but the signs on side of the road confirm it is also part of the De Soto National Forest)

Summery Alexandria, LA has about 7 different wild life management/forest areas around it about 1hr away and Hattiesburg, MS has about 4 different forest areas about 1-2hrs away with some of it having rolling hilly, curvy, roads.
« Last Edit: Feb 28, 2021, 09:10:04 pm by FireNative »

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

Fiddles

• SEA-ROAR
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 1
    Re: If you're near Hattiesburg, MS I have a place for you to ride
    « Reply #1 on: Mar 01, 2021, 04:39:45 pm »
    Just watch for deer around Hattiesburg  but there is some good riding in southern part of Mississippi
    V&H 2into1, Bullet cowl, Full Wrap front Fender, Ultimate  seat, Barons Tach, lowering bones and progressive spring, Ivan's flash, K&N filter with open air box, Avon Cobra Chrome  tires

RangerRick

• Raider
    « Reply #2 on: Mar 01, 2021, 08:07:52 pm »
    I would Love to do this on my Motorcycle. Boy do those pictures bring back fond memories. I was in Biloxi in 1992, again in 1994 and in 2005, at Keesler AFB. I discovered the De Soto National forest and enjoyed hiking on the Tuxachanie Hiking Trail. I first discover the west section and walked to Airey Lake. Another time I walked on the same trail starting at the POW camp all the way to Airey Lake. I think I walked all over the southern section of that forest. ;D
    2007 Honda VTX 1300R
    ANG Member 25 years
    Retired Aug. 1, 2010

• Advertisement

Sweet Tooth

• Raider
      « Reply #3 on: Mar 23, 2021, 06:20:13 pm »
      :) look up the little grand canyon. Its here in ms pretty good ride also .
      Some prefer medicine. I prefer my Raider.

FireNative

• Road Star
      « Reply #4 on: Mar 24, 2021, 11:50:13 am »
      :) look up the little grand canyon. Its here in ms pretty good ride also .

Thanks Sweet Tooth I will probably check it out next year when I will probably take a 6 day motorcycle trip in McComb, MS and camp in Percy E Quin State Park

Sweet Tooth

• Raider
      « Reply #5 on: Mar 26, 2021, 07:27:26 pm »
      Np. I havent been on this site in years wasnt sure if it was still around :).  Strangely hattiesburg ms was first thing i noticed. Yeah Ms ive found a few twisties years ago that we used to ride . Im just now being able to ride again kiddo came along and been in the 4 wheeled machine for the most part .

Fiddles

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #6 on: Mar 28, 2021, 07:45:23 am »
      Np. I havent been on this site in years wasnt sure if it was still around :).  Strangely hattiesburg ms was first thing i noticed. Yeah Ms ive found a few twisties years ago that we used to ride . Im just now being able to ride again kiddo came along and been in the 4 wheeled machine for the most part .
      what's up stranger? You still have your Raider
      V&H 2into1, Bullet cowl, Full Wrap front Fender, Ultimate  seat, Barons Tach, lowering bones and progressive spring, Ivan's flash, K&N filter with open air box, Avon Cobra Chrome  tires

Sweet Tooth

• Raider
      « Reply #7 on: Mar 28, 2021, 11:02:54 am »
      Np. I havent been on this site in years wasnt sure if it was still around :) .  Strangely hattiesburg ms was first thing i noticed. Yeah Ms ive found a few twisties years ago that we used to ride . Im just now being able to ride again kiddo came along and been in the 4 wheeled machine for the most part .

Work work work work :) . Yeah i still have the Raider. Started to sell it a time or two being i only was able to ride it around the house for the longest but i never could bring my self to let it go.  My little guy likes to ride it and can reach the rear pegs. We now ride are doing short distances around by the house im not yet comfortable with going very far with him . We get on a back road and cruise around 30,35. We both enjoy it.

Fiddles

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #8 on: Mar 28, 2021, 01:51:44 pm »
      Np. I havent been on this site in years wasnt sure if it was still around :) .  Strangely hattiesburg ms was first thing i noticed. Yeah Ms ive found a few twisties years ago that we used to ride . Im just now being able to ride again kiddo came along and been in the 4 wheeled machine for the most part .

Work work work work :) . Yeah i still have the Raider. Started to sell it a time or two being i only was able to ride it around the house for the longest but i never could bring my self to let it go.  My little guy likes to ride it and can reach the rear pegs. We now ride are doing short distances around by the house im not yet comfortable with going very far with him . We get on a back road and cruise around 30,35. We both enjoy it.
      cool! Dont make the mistake of selling it you will regret it

Sweet Tooth

• Raider
      « Reply #9 on: Jul 02, 2021, 03:28:52 pm »
      Dont really plan on it . I got to do maintence on it . Plugs oil oilfilter clean bak filter and change gear oil