Author Topic: Does anyone have a better USB charger set up?  (Read 2109 times)

FireNative

• Roadliner
  • Referrals: 0
Does anyone have a better USB charger set up?
« on: Feb 28, 2021, 09:02:02 pm »
I ride with my cellphone mounted to my handle bars and use it for google maps and Spotify music. I keep my cell on the entire time I ride, and for long trips that may be from 6-8hrs straight, so I need a USB charging port to plug my cell into and charge it to full then unplug, let almost die, then charge back up to full again. I have a NOCO GBC009 heavy duty jumping cable directly connected to the battery with SAE adaptor, and a USB charger with SAE connection to connect to it. I run a USB cable up from under the seat to my cell. I used it for the first time this last week for my 5 day motorcycle trip to Hattiesburg, MS. I worked great, but I am always looking for other suggestions. Anyone here has a different/better USB charging setup that can be plugged in and unplugged fast. After my cell reaches 100% WHILE RIDING I pull the USB-C cable out and put it under the corner web of my RAM mount so it stays in place ready to plug back in if my cell gets to 20% again. Any set ideas guys?

Best way to look at pics on the site, first click on pic to make it bigger, but its too big now, so right click on the big pic and left click on "open image in new tab" then go to that new tab and the pic will be bigger than the compressed one, but smaller than the blown too big one on the forum, it will be just the right size to see without having to scroll around to see all the pic.

This setup also makes it easy and fast to plug a trickle charger, or use my NOCO GB40 jumper on side of the road as you just have to pop off the seat and plug in, no looking for the battery post or moving anything.

« Last Edit: Feb 28, 2021, 09:07:42 pm by FireNative »

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

the urban legend

• Raider
    Re: Does anyone have a better USB charger set up?
    « Reply #1 on: Feb 28, 2021, 09:37:10 pm »
    I installed this double USB port from Amazon back in 2016. I made a custom bracket to install it at the IAC valve, ran the wire under the tank, and connected it to the accessory socket under the seat. The location looks far, but I can plug and unplug while riding. And if you can't reach it while riding, there's always the fuel stops.
    I'd rather die on a motorcycle than live without one.

FireNative

• Roadliner
    « Reply #2 on: Feb 28, 2021, 10:03:02 pm »
    thanks for the info and pics. All information helps with the research.

• Advertisement

Zxdave

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 2
      « Reply #3 on: Feb 28, 2021, 11:03:46 pm »
      I have the same usb set up you do bro and I mount my phone on the bars also , but I just leave my phone charging the whole time it’s one the bike and I’m riding. There is no need really to unplug it once it hits 100% I don’t think. Also unplugging it and letting it run down to 20% before you plug it back in could be a bad habit I think. What if god forbid something happened and your phone died before you could get help to you ya know... just some food for thought! 
      Lean till it grinds , then lean some more ..

Dirtiegirtie

• Road Star
      « Reply #4 on: Mar 01, 2021, 08:40:34 am »
      I agree with ZXDave. I think you might be thinking about old, non-Li, batteries that would develop a memory. Back then you didn't want to put them on a charger until they ran all the way, or mostly, down. Today's Li batteries don't seem to have those memory problems, so plugging them in at 85% charge, or leaving them on the charger, won't decrease their overall capacity.

Unless you are thinking about the Li batteries that like to blow up/start fires if you leave them on a charger after they hit 100%. My colleague at work had a pretty significant fire at his house 5-6 years ago because he left the Li battery for his cordless driver on the charger. I haven't heard much of that in the last few years but I don't know one way or the other if it's still an issue.

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 7
      « Reply #5 on: Mar 01, 2021, 10:00:39 am »
      Have you considered mounting one of the magnetic cradle chargers that don't require a line to the phone? Then you could run a hidden wire back to the battery and no need to plug/unplug. I would probably still use a safety strap on the phone in case I hit a hard bump it wouldn't fly loose.

Back when I was riding constantly, I carried a spare portable charger in my jacket pocket just in case something unexpected happened.

When I bought my last iPhone, I was told to try and let it run down to 20% before charging by the sales rep . Does he know what he's talking about. No idea. I tend to throw mine on the charger at night if I see it's under 50% just to be safe.  The charger light goes off once it's at 100%, so it obviously isn't trying to continue charging once it's full.

FireNative

• Roadliner
      « Reply #6 on: Mar 01, 2021, 07:25:45 pm »
      thanks for the ideas guys.

A.T.

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #7 on: Mar 02, 2021, 06:38:52 am »
      I mounted one of these on the trip-tree:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Waterproof-2USB-Motorcycle-Mobile-Phone-GPS-Power-Supply-Port-Socket-Charger-12V/162658542141?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Wired on its own circuit with fuse.   Had a similar setup on my last Raider, but it was wired to the aux power switch in the headlight bucket.  Decided to put this on its own circuit for dedicated power draw. 

Badbluraider

• Raider
      « Reply #8 on: Mar 04, 2021, 08:08:39 pm »
      I also have a dual USB port since I have a RAM mount for my phone and GPS. Got it at Amazon for like $10 that plugs directly into my pigtail(Tender) off battery. No need to unplug phone when 100%.

amazon.com/MOTOPOWER-MP0609C-Waterproof-Motorcycle-Charger/dp/B06XWW2TRT/ref=asc_df_B06XWW2TRT/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=385179140364&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5186232627510013120&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9026562&hvtargid=pla-828369181132&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=82240853201&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=385179140364&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5186232627510013120&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9026562&hvtargid=pla-828369181132