Author Topic: IVANS  (Read 1273 times)

Fasttimez

• Warrior
  • Referrals: 0
Re: IVANS
« Reply #15 on: Mar 30, 2021, 12:48:04 pm »
So are you going to be running it with the Cobra or have you removed the Cobra all together.

Removed it all together.  However, if the dyno session shows a lean condition, I may put it back on.

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

Fasttimez

• Warrior
    « Reply #16 on: Apr 02, 2021, 06:23:30 pm »
    Got everything back together and went for a ride despite only being 40* outside.  Filled up with fresh 93 octane and put the coals to her.  The bike doesn't feel to have anymore power than it did with the programmer, however I knew what to expect.  What is different is the way the power is delivered.  Before there was a snappy on power, then the sharp drop off. Now the power delivery is VERY linear and smooth all the way to the new red line. I'm happy with the overall smoothness of the bike now as far as on/off throttle is concerned.  Most likely makes the exact same amount of power, just delivers it differently.  No popping at all (didn't have any either with my programmer).  So only thing left is to head to the dyno and see the numbers.  I'll update when I have them. 

Zxdave

• SEA-ROAR
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 2
    « Reply #17 on: Apr 02, 2021, 09:25:40 pm »
    Got everything back together and went for a ride despite only being 40* outside.  Filled up with fresh 93 octane and put the coals to her.  The bike doesn't feel to have anymore power than it did with the programmer, however I knew what to expect.  What is different is the way the power is delivered.  Before there was a snappy on power, then the sharp drop off. Now the power delivery is VERY linear and smooth all the way to the new red line. I'm happy with the overall smoothness of the bike now as far as on/off throttle is concerned.  Most likely makes the exact same amount of power, just delivers it differently.  No popping at all (didn't have any either with my programmer).  So only thing left is to head to the dyno and see the numbers.  I'll update when I have them.

Heck yeah bro looking good , I like that headlight !!

Also spotted some old centerline center caps up on your tool box , I had some back in the day that took same cap LOL
    Lean till it grinds , then lean some more ..

• Advertisement

Fasttimez

• Warrior
      « Reply #18 on: Apr 03, 2021, 07:34:55 am »

Also spotted some old centerline center caps up on your tool box , I had some back in the day that took same cap LOL
      Now can't wait to get my 70 tooth rear pulley and new belt mounted up......she's gonna be a little "quicker"  ;D

Fiddles

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 1
      « Reply #19 on: Apr 03, 2021, 07:39:58 am »

Now can't wait to get my 70 tooth rear pulley and new belt mounted up......she's gonna be a little "quicker"  ;D
      I have thought about doing the 70 tooth pulley just dont wantvto kill the highway cruising speeds
      V&H 2into1, Bullet cowl, Full Wrap front Fender, Ultimate  seat, Barons Tach, lowering bones and progressive spring, Ivan's flash, K&N filter with open air box, Avon Cobra Chrome  tires

Fasttimez

• Warrior
      « Reply #20 on: Apr 03, 2021, 10:00:30 am »

I have thought about doing the 70 tooth pulley just dont wantvto kill the highway cruising speeds
      I've talked to a bunch of people who've done it, and the guys running tachs say it adds about 250 rpm at 80 mph. I'm not really worried about 250 rpm's at highway speeds as I spend 80% of my time off the interstate. The net gain is about a 9% increase in acceleration, however top speed will be reduced by about 10 mph. The guys I talked to say their top speed is now roughly 117 - 119 mph, but acceleration from 0-100 is crazy fast. The one guy who races his at the strip says he can get through all 5 gears before going through the traps in the 1/4 mile.  I'll trade some top end speed and a little higher rpm for low end acceleration and roll on acceleration where I actually ride 80% of the time all day long.   

Clayton

• Mmm...🍺 Beer
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 2
      « Reply #21 on: Apr 03, 2021, 12:35:53 pm »
      Iv had my raider for 8yrs and 36,000 miles and I still look 👀 for 6th every now and then! I try to shift again thinking Iím not in top gear yet!  ;D Lowering the gear ratio would drive me nuts!

Fasttimez

• Warrior
      « Reply #22 on: Apr 04, 2021, 06:45:15 am »
      Iv had my raider for 8yrs and 36,000 miles and I still look 👀 for 6th every now and then! I try to shift again thinking Iím not in top gear yet!  ;D Lowering the gear ratio would drive me nuts!
      I could never understand why Yamaha put a 5 speed in the Raider anyways. They even put a 5 speed in the FJR touring bike, only switching to a 6 speed in 2016 while everyone else had 6 speeds for the jump (even HD had 6 speed transmissions years before Yamaha).  Talking with a Yamaha engineer once, their thinking was the wide gear ratio would only need 5 speeds.
      I told him around 75-80 I feel it needs a 6th gear.  He laughed and said "you and everyone else that rides one". I don't spend that much time riding on interstates or big highways, I stick mostly to backroads or secondary routes when taking trips.  I will be interested in my MPG loss if any at all.   

Kevs UK Raider SCL

• UK Raider SCL #300
      • Roadliner
      « Reply #23 on: Apr 05, 2021, 05:47:11 am »
      Fastimez

If you are changing the pulley for 70, you will be working your clutch harder so I suggest an upgrade to a Barnett one so it handles it better.

Also, Ivan increases the where the limiter kicks in. Standard is 5200rpm, now it'll be 5800, so the bike will pull for longer in each gear.  :raider:
      One of only around 65 or so Raider Owners in the UK

Fasttimez

• Warrior
      « Reply #24 on: Apr 05, 2021, 05:59:21 am »
      Fastimez

If you are changing the pulley for 70, you will be working your clutch harder so I suggest an upgrade to a Barnett one so it handles it better.

Also, Ivan increases the where the limiter kicks in. Standard is 5200rpm, now it'll be 5800, so the bike will pull for longer in each gear.  :raider:
      The extra RPM is nice I have to admit.  The stock clutch has 44,000 miles on it now, so it might be a good idea to replace it anyway as a regular maintenance item. 

Kevs UK Raider SCL

• UK Raider SCL #300
      • Roadliner
      « Reply #25 on: Apr 05, 2021, 07:28:00 am »
      Fastimez

The extra RPM is nice I have to admit.  The stock clutch has 44,000 miles on it now, so it might be a good idea to replace it anyway as a regular maintenance item.

The popular opinion seems to be to get the Barnett Clutch and stick with OEM clutch plates. That has worked for me twice now on two of my Raiders.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YAMAHA-511-90-10007-XV19-XV-19-1900-RAIDER-CLUTCH-SPRING-CONVERSION-KIT/284066141406?_trkparms=aid%3D1110006%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20200818143230%26meid%3Da59788f8cdf14d9ba9d364ee40827f7e%26pid%3D101224%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D5%26mehot%3Dpf%26b%3D1%26sd%3D353391235876%26itm%3D284066141406%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2047675%26algv%3DDefaultOrganic%26brand%3DBarnett&_trksid=p2047675.c101224.m-1

That is the one you want, but do some checking as you may get it cheaper elsewhere. Use the stronger of the two sets of springs supplied. I think they are the gold ones from memory. I used 3 of each to start with but soon changed for all gold ones.
      One of only around 65 or so Raider Owners in the UK