Author Topic: Headlight Conversion  (Read 1308 times)

Fasttimez

• Warrior
  • Referrals: 0
Headlight Conversion
« on: Mar 20, 2021, 01:57:31 pm »
Quick question, what did you guys do with your IAT sensor when swapping out your factory headlight assembly for another aftermarket/VTX headlight.  I have Chilly's bracket and removed the factory light to install the one I bought, but can find a good spot to put this sensor.  For the ones that have done the headlight swap, where did you put your IAT sensor, or did you just leave it unplugged and rode on ?

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

marcelmot

• Roadliner
    Re: Headlight Conversion
    « Reply #1 on: Mar 20, 2021, 02:32:55 pm »
    I put it under the tank, together with all the bulky cables that were in the stock headlight. Wrapped it together with the cables using electrical tape. No issue.
    « Last Edit: Mar 20, 2021, 02:36:26 pm by marcelmot »
    My life it's an endless fight against maturity.
    "You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."

Fasttimez

• Warrior
    « Reply #2 on: Mar 20, 2021, 02:35:54 pm »
    I put it under the tank, together with all the bulky cables that were in the stock headlight.

Thanks, that's what I was thinking of doing also.  Did you also put your ignition wires somewhere else or did you run them in the headlight bucket also ?

• Advertisement

marcelmot

• Roadliner
      « Reply #3 on: Mar 20, 2021, 02:39:26 pm »
      In the headlight bucket I have only the cables for the low/high beam. There is no so many space as I have an aftermarket headlight.
      All the rest of cables I put them under the tank.
      Sorry my english is not perfect, did I answer your question ?
      « Last Edit: Mar 20, 2021, 02:42:44 pm by marcelmot »
      My life it's an endless fight against maturity.
      "You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."

Fasttimez

• Warrior
      « Reply #4 on: Mar 20, 2021, 03:13:33 pm »
      In the headlight bucket I have only the cables for the low/high beam. There is no so many space as I have an aftermarket headlight.
      All the rest of cables I put them under the tank.
      Sorry my english is not perfect, did I answer your question ?

Yes, thank you. 

A.T.

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #5 on: Mar 20, 2021, 05:22:26 pm »
      In my headlight bucket...

Fasttimez

• Warrior
      « Reply #6 on: Mar 20, 2021, 08:31:03 pm »
      My OCD is taking over, I think I'm gonna get rid of everything I don't need or use and re-loom everything.

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 7
      « Reply #7 on: Mar 21, 2021, 12:55:07 am »
      My OCD is taking over, I think I'm gonna get rid of everything I don't need or use and re-loom everything.

Have you ever looked at the Yamaha electrical schematic?  You're in for a real treat.

Fasttimez

• Warrior
      « Reply #8 on: Mar 22, 2021, 01:29:09 pm »

Have you ever looked at the Yamaha electrical schematic?  You're in for a real treat.

I can tell what goes to what just by tracing them and many years of experience.  The way they wired stuff with ground bus blocks, power bus blocks, etc. is pretty ridiculous (as far as everything in front of the seat is concerned).  I've already cut out 2 ground bus blocks and rewired what I needed independent from what I don't. I don't run front turn signals, use the aux switch, or anything else except the actual headlight plug. The ignition wiring is coming out also, along with rerouting the IAT sensor under the tank.  WHY they decided to put EVERYTHING in the headlight bucket is beyond me.  I'm in the process now of fabricating custom brackets to hold all my sensors and wiring under the tank. I actually have room since I removed the stock airbox and went to pod style filters. I have no problem extending or shortening the harness where I need to. Everything I don't need or use will be isolated and neatly stowed away under the tank, this will make for a cleaner installed harness and way more room for add ons later. 

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      « Reply #9 on: Mar 22, 2021, 02:35:16 pm »

I can tell what goes to what just by tracing them and many years of experience.  The way they wired stuff with ground bus blocks, power bus blocks, etc. is pretty ridiculous (as far as everything in front of the seat is concerned).  I've already cut out 2 ground bus blocks and rewired what I needed independent from what I don't. I don't run front turn signals, use the aux switch, or anything else except the actual headlight plug. The ignition wiring is coming out also, along with rerouting the IAT sensor under the tank.  WHY they decided to put EVERYTHING in the headlight bucket is beyond me.  I'm in the process now of fabricating custom brackets to hold all my sensors and wiring under the tank. I actually have room since I removed the stock airbox and went to pod style filters. I have no problem extending or shortening the harness where I need to. Everything I don't need or use will be isolated and neatly stowed away under the tank, this will make for a cleaner installed harness and way more room for add ons later.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Fasttimez

• Warrior
      « Reply #10 on: Mar 23, 2021, 06:00:44 am »

GOOD LUCK!!!

Thanks, it's coming along nicely.  I got a lot done yesterday afternoon with relocating the ignition wiring, IAT sensor and wiring, eliminating 1 entire ground bus block, separating out all the turn signal and aux switch wiring and relocating them, got the front air pressure sensor remounted... about halfway there, waiting on some parts to come in to make the install very clean looking.  I'll post some pics when I'm done.  Here's one with the wiring redone coming out of the neck of the bike, the only plug I have coming out is my headlight plug, the ignition wiring was relocated in the neck of the bike behind the cover. 

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      « Reply #11 on: Mar 23, 2021, 11:19:59 am »
      Nice!!!

Fasttimez

• Warrior
      « Reply #12 on: Mar 29, 2021, 10:21:38 am »
      Got everything wired up and ready to install.  I went with an Adjure headlight assembly, just waiting on my chrome bolt kit to arrive to mount it on the bike. 

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      « Reply #13 on: Mar 29, 2021, 10:59:11 am »
      That headlight looks very similar to the one I put on my Virago. I'm sure yours is far superior over mine though. I got it cheap.

Fasttimez

• Warrior
      « Reply #14 on: Mar 29, 2021, 12:31:11 pm »
      That headlight looks very similar to the one I put on my Virago. I'm sure yours is far superior over mine though. I got it cheap.

I got it for about $100 directly from Adjure, so not that expensive. It has that "PHAST" locking system that holds the entire light together.  I was a little skeptical about it at first, but once I tried it, I really liked it. Waiting on a chrome bolt and nut never seemed so long  ;D